Airtel GPRS Clarification

Avtar

Adept
-wave-

It's one of those days that I wish that the Customer Care 'Executives' actually had some tech knowledge.

Anyway, I'm going to have to use an Airtel GPRS connection for the next month or so, and I'll be connecting my phone to the laptop to use it. So yay for Airtel.

Now I have some confusion regarding the plans for these things. I've heard of two plans here that interest me.

1. Rs.12/day - Unlimited
It looks good, 12 bucks a day unlimited. But when I asked them whether all browsing and downloading is free, he said that I'll be charged for downloading at 30p/50kB. Now when I connect to the laptop and browse the internet, what is considered downloading and what is considered browsing? If open a YouTube video, I'm essentially downloading the content of the video to my laptop, if I open an image on a page, I'm downloading the image as well. So how do they differentiate between downloading and browsing when I'm using the internet through my laptop?

2. Rs.98/month - 2GB
For browsing, this seems fine and very economical. And given the speed that people get on GPRS, downloading isn't much of an option as well.

So could someone clarify Point 1 for me, and let me know if there are any other plans around?

Appreciated.

Wrt the first scheme. The same thing happened with me when I called clarify a similar scheme with Vodafone and its Vodafone Live service.

After several minutes of confusion, my call was transferred to a Zonal head. He was no better. In the end, he concluded by explaining that I will only be charged if I download something from the Vodafone site and wont be charged for anything on any other site. Then why talk about downloading charges ? o_O

Go for the 98 one ... pretty decent for occational emails and constant IMing ... if thats all ur going to use it for, it will do!

GL

RD274, that makes a bit of sense to me in fact. Perhaps the content that they have on their website, the wallpapers and the MP3s and stuff, they charge for them to be downloaded. I'm hoping that's the case.

But in any event, I find myself pulled towards the 98 plan, it's just safer I guess, I won't be bombed with a deduction of 400 bucks from my account all of a sudden in the morning.

Avtar said:
-wave-

It's one of those days that I wish that the Customer Care 'Executives' actually had some tech knowledge.

Anyway, I'm going to have to use an Airtel GPRS connection for the next month or so, and I'll be connecting my phone to the laptop to use it. So yay for Airtel.

Now I have some confusion regarding the plans for these things. I've heard of two plans here that interest me.

1. Rs.12/day - Unlimited

It looks good, 12 bucks a day unlimited. But when I asked them whether all browsing and downloading is free, he said that I'll be charged for downloading at 30p/50kB. Now when I connect to the laptop and browse the internet, what is considered downloading and what is considered browsing? If open a YouTube video, I'm essentially downloading the content of the video to my laptop, if I open an image on a page, I'm downloading the image as well. So how do they differentiate between downloading and browsing when I'm using the internet through my laptop?

2. Rs.98/month - 2GB

For browsing, this seems fine and very economical. And given the speed that people get on GPRS, downloading isn't much of an option as well.

So could someone clarify Point 1 for me, and let me know if there are any other plans around?

Appreciated.

for plan 1 you would be charged for Browsing also.

I would suggest you to go for second plan or Buy yourself docomo or Aircel They are very economical for GPRS.

If you aren't going to download, plan two works just fine. I've been using it for about six months now and pretty happy with it.

@Avtar

See essentially both the plans are unlimited but the Rs 12 one is for people who wants to activate GPRS for once in a while use. It is the Mobile Office / full fledged internet that will be activated. Ignore the customer care morons who say downloading will be charged. It is only applicable to downloading from airtel live portal etc. Downloading normal softwares / videos / songs / watching youtube etc will not be counted.

I suggest you go for the Rs. 98 one so you have peace of mind for entire month. It is also Mobile Office / full fledged internet. You get 2GB which i guess should be more than enough. I am using it for last 4-5 months and it is really good and Airtel EDGE speeds are very good IMO.

raksrules said:
@Avtar

See essentially both the plans are unlimited but the Rs 12 one is for people who wants to activate GPRS for once in a while use. It is the Mobile Office / full fledged internet that will be activated. Ignore the customer care morons who say downloading will be charged. It is only applicable to downloading from airtel live portal etc. Downloading normal softwares / videos / songs / watching youtube etc will not be counted.

I suggest you go for the Rs. 98 one so you have peace of mind for entire month. It is also Mobile Office / full fledged internet. You get 2GB which i guess should be more than enough. I am using it for last 4-5 months and it is really good and Airtel EDGE speeds are very good IMO.
Thanks a lot, that makes it crystal clear. :)

So just getting a 98 recharge will automatically activate it yes?

^^ I guess No. I think you should ask the customer care regarding this. Should not be a problem. And yes remember that after you get the Rs 98 recharge done, it will automatically renew your GPRS subscription every month (after 30 days i mean from last renew / activation) and will send you a message couple of days before that you will be charged and what can be done for deactivation (sometimes the prior message may not come so keep a tab incase you plan to deactivate)

Alright thanks, I think I need to get a recharge and then dial *567# and then choose the 98 plan and it deducts the amount from the main balance and activates it. Will find out. =)

Back