Airtel Overbilling Issue, no callback for one week now

hunt3r

Skilled
Heres the story, i am on he Airtel 999 U/L plan, and the speed for me was 256 kpbs, which is the same since i got the plan two years back. I heard just a week back that the plan was upgraded to 384 kbps in november. But my speed remained the same, and the amount billed was the same, 999 even though the new cost of the 256 plan was 750. ( i live in Bangalore btw )So i called up Airtel CC and i asked why i wasnt informed and why my speed wasnt upgraded? The woman who answered told me that "No sir without the customer's permission we cannot do it". So i said that its no increase in cost, wheres the question of permission. She repeated the same statement that we need permission. At this point i inquired why oh why wasnt my billing amount reduced. Sheepishly she said yes sir and registered my complaint and said i would be getting a call in 24 hrs. This was on Wednesday. The next day i did not recieve a call. I called them myself and again was told that i would get a callback in 24 hrs. This has happend everyday until yesterday with no call from Airtel.

It seems to me that they are avoiding the issue in the hope that i will just give up. Has anybody else experienced this issue? Tomorrow if they do not respond i will call up the regional manager. Any other suggestions guys?

There is some difference between the 999 plan you are using and the new 750 plan. The 750 plan does not give double speeds in the night, it remains 256 kbps throughout. While the 999 plan doubles the speed to 512kbps in the night.

I never had any double speeds. And as far as i know bangalore never had the option for double speeds at night:S

Are you an airtel user who had double speeds at night?

Last week i found two of my friends still in that UL 999 plan with 256kbps speed. told them to get it upgrade to 384kbps, it was done in 2 days or so.

anyways, mail those buggers re, those peeps who are replying to you mail are supposedly better than the peeps over the phone.

hunt3r said:
I never had any double speeds. And as far as i know bangalore never had the option for double speeds at night:S

Are you an airtel user who had double speeds at night?

Strangely, Airtel never mentioned by any means that there is this night double thing. But for the past 1 and a half year, I have observed that the speed use to double in the night(10 p.m to 6 a.m). Noticed this on Azureus.

But when I moved to this 750 plan, I got a constant 256kbps throughout.
May be this complientary night-double depends on area to area.

Airtel did not change the plan changes automatically for any of its existing customers, the customers have to call up and ask for a plan change. I was also billed 1999/- for my 512k connection in spite of the charges being reduced to 1499/- after I called up the CC told them, they informed me that they are not doing the plan change automatically, they then logged a plan change request and changed the plan the same day. Now I am being billed according to the new rates.

So just ask them to change your plan and note down the tracking number. Don't hold any hopes for getting any money refunded from them for the previous bill. I know its wrong on Airtel's part and its just a way to milk the customers for money, but the judicial system is so poor in India that these companies are taking their customers for granted. So unless you have the patience to go though some legal proceedings, you will not get your money back.

I also noticed one more thing, they were charging 30/- extra as Hello Tunes charges even though I never asked them to enable Hello Tunes. I called up CC in December and told them to disable the same and it was disabled for that month. But Again this month I noticed that it was again charged on my account. I found that this is a routine with Airtel charging for Hello Tunes even when the user has not requested the same. So this time I called CC, told her the problem and got the Hello Tunes disabled, this time, I also promptly noted down the tracking number. If this happens again, I am really going to take up proceedings againist Airtel. This is an outright illegal thing to do.

I m not sure why but even recently I had a billing issue and they never bothered to call back. I called up a day later and the issue was resolved but they never let me know. Other than you calling I dont think there is anything much that can be done. maybe go to airtel head office for bangalore

@lord nemesis, yea thats exactly the same thing they told me. It is sad that a company like Airtel, with whom i was completely satisfied with earlier is doing a thing like this. I got the speed upgraded to 384 kpbs, that wasnt an issue(tho even that took them more than two days to do!)

Does anyone know whether they are legally allowed to charge two customers the same rate, yet give them different speeds, ie i was paying 999 and getting 256 kbps and other guys paying the same rate were getting 384. If im not mistaken, this is not allowed?

I finally got a callback after registering a complaint with the nodal officer. Got cut off 3 times before i got the call tho(intentionally or not im not sure,coz i did get the call back after that). I was told that they would look into this with their marketing team and get back to me. Im not holding out any hopes but i intend to continue fighting, this is downright cheating

Back