Airtel Postpaid: incorrect billing

red_devil

Disciple
I have a corporate plan{rental Rs 199} activated on my phone. Today when I saw my latest bill, I saw that I was being charged Rs 20 as a rental for some 3g GPRS service which I had never activated.

Then I checked my previous month's bill and I was charged the same amount for last month as well. I have mailed those AirFail guys to cancel this so called '3g GPRS service'.

I want to know:
1. Is it wise to switch from post paid to pre paid on Airtel? {chances of not getting ripped off in pre paid?}

2. should I ditch AirFAIL altogether and switch to some other provider? {which other operator has a good network in Bangalore? Voda?}

3. Any chance of them adjusting the amount already paid in my next months bill ? :p

1. I switched from Corporate postpaid to normal prepaid of airtel because i can be in control of my spendings on mobile bill/recharges and also i dont have heavy call/sms usage. So it is better to switch IMO.

2. This is even better idea. Ditch Failtel and go to someone else. Airtel sucks anyways. The only reason i am with them is because the primary places where i need good network is office and home with good edge speeds and i get that with airtel.

3. Try your luck.

Also i suggest you send the SMS as STOP to 121 and it will return you a list of services active on your account and then selectively deactivate them.

1. Yes. Not just Airtel, that makes sense for just about any provider in India. The cost benefits are immense.
2. From what I have heard and experienced, Vodafone has the best coverage in Bangalore.
3. Threaten them of a disconnection or termination, they will reimburse it. Companies love postpaid customers. They are their high margin customers.

a lot in case of decision of switching to prepaid from postpaid depends on the kinda calling you do. CUG on postpaid often ends up saving quite a bit of money.

Usually, STD somehow seem to be cheaper on prepaid. Local calling tends to be more expensive in case it is on a different network. I have on prepaid for the last five years and believe that saves me more money. For 35 bucks recharge on vodaphone, std calls drop to 40p/min. 197 rupees go towards 1000 minutes vodaphone to vodaphone local free. Message is 80 bucks for 500 msg/day and grps pack is 98 bucks.

On postpaid, in addition to rentals you will be paying extra service tax whereas in prepaid you will get special recharges which offer you full talktime. Though I have heard in bangalore you should be able to get good corporate postpaid plans which will offer pretty competitive rates unlike the 198 rupess, 400 minutes/200 sms free I seem to be able to get in Kolkata.

Well, for starters, I took a chance and mailed to Airfail CC about the rental being charged and to my surprise, within 2 hrs I got a message saying that the "3g GPRS had been deactivated' and that Rs 35 was credited to my account :D

And yes, looking at my bill and usage, {lot of my calls are the result of me wanting to utilize the "Free minutes" :p} I'm pretty sure that I need to get away from Postpaid and get into prepaid. How do I do that? And should I port from Airfail to Voda/BSNL/Docomo?

Though I have heard in bangalore you should be able to get good corporate postpaid plans which will offer pretty competitive rates unlike the 198 rupess, 400 minutes/200 sms free I seem to be able to get in Kolkata.

my current plan is 199 rental+taxes with 600minutes free to any local mobile and 150 local sms free/month.

BTW, one thing that I'm quite unsure of are the "packs" available in prepaid. It seems quite confusing to me!

Eg: recharge for 50 and get <something free or at some particular rate>

I mean how do I know what all 'packs' are available? and also keep track of the 'new offers' as and when they're available?

The things that you should ask yourself.

1. Are you using the 600 min in local calls?

2. Are you using 150 local sms?

I always prefer Pre-Paid to Post Paid corporate plans. My usage is made up of both local and STD calls and rarely SMS. Corporate plans are unless to me as to most people. Often people only see that they are getting this and that free with the corporate connection, but they don't see whether the perks are of any use to them and whether the plan is worth the rental.

I use an Airtel Pre-Paid connection. I don't pay any rental. I recharge with full amount plans, so I don't loose money in service taxes or any other kind of tax. I have lifetime validity. I last recharged my number with 1500 Rs on 15-Jan-2011, I moved to Hyderabad in the first week of Feb and I have been using my connection in roaming since then. I didn't subscribe to any roaming plan. I still have 780 Rs balance despite using my phone regularly on a daily basis for both local and STD calls. with a Post Paid Plan like yours, I would have paid over 1000 bucks in rental alone.

Back