Airtel showing their ads while browsing

jalanbk

Disciple
Hi,

I am on airtel broadband and I have experienced that they are showing ads when you open a new browser window and type the address.

It is 2 frame window with ads in lower panel and a link in upper panel to your website where you want to go. As of now they are showing only Airtel digital Tv ads.

First i thought the site has been affiliated with some new ads, but when ads appear just before opening my own site it was confirmed that it's airtel.

Anybody else expereinced it ? i am seeing it for last 3-4 days.

Higher rates, caps and now ads while browsing ? How much airtle wants rom their customers ?
what could be next ?
Time to day good bye ?

Share your opinion guys...

In the meant time I will try to catch a screenshot of same..

BK

use adblock / stylish on Firefox to KILL them.

I am so annoyed at crapTel that I will help you all to get rid of these. Save a webpage where these ads are shown, zip it and post it as an attachment here. i'll write the userstyle for you.

Not for south India atleast at chennai. I have a 256 Airtel UL plan for 799 and I am ok.

But with Tata, their speed rocks like anything at Hyderabad

Everyday I download not less than 8 GB during night (I use it only from 9PM to 9AM)

Literally speaking I am using this prepaid internet (2 Mbps with ul night) for about 1 year and paying just 500 bucks per month. (Calculation: Initially paid 3450 for quick power 150 & with that Rs.3000 I just renewed 3 months xtra validity (rs 780) for couple of times and never used internet during day so only rs 299 gets deducted every month for night unlimited)

Only thing piss me off is no one gives equal download upload bandwidth everyone sticks with 80 (download) / 20 (upload).

those guys who see ads, have you by any chance installed any airtel software on your pc, like a dialer?

afaik, even tata indicom (or it was vsnl at that time) used to do this - open some crappy ad thing next to the taskbar when using their dialer software (for dialup connections), and that was about 5-6 years back.

I can see ads but frequency is very less...
I am sure there is no software or spyware or dialer kind of thing installed on my system

Also I am using OpenDNS but still they show...

I will catch the screenshot and also save the webpage next time i get it...

I am sure this is Airtel's next policy to earn revenue they are testing this feature with their own ads and once implemented they will start selling ads to other company....

I don't think we can block these ... anyway

I can see ads but frequency is very less...
I am sure there is no software or spyware or dialer kind of thing installed on my system

Also I am using OpenDNS but still they show...

I will catch the screenshot and also save the webpage next time i get it...

I am sure this is Airtel's next policy to earn revenue they are testing this feature with their own ads and once implemented they will start selling ads to other company....

I don't think we can block these ... anyway

but you can block these!

if they are using a separate ad server which they most likely are, just add the ip of their server to your hosts file/ firewall or if they are using some javascript iframe/ flash or anything for that matter, even plain text, you can customize your browser to block them. I do this whenever I am browsing through a proxy.

I am in Delhi, using Home 649 plan. I use Open DNS, have Privoxy to filter ads. In firefox I have Adblock plus plugin but I still see the ads. I dont have any of the Airtel's software installed either be it NetXpert or anything. Some others have been experiencing. I found one of the link to the ads.

The user's blog who is experiencing it too

Airtel’s Dirty Secret and My Letter to the TRAI at Uncool

He has put up a screenshot of the ad too.

No airtel software crap is installed on my machine..

@decius - thanks for the link...

I have not seen any ads in last 2 days .. I guess airtel was testing this and now there test are over..

so they might launch this later or they received too many complaints...

Now one thing is sure that they are intercepting your HTTP requests no matter which DNS you using...

=CrAzYG33K= said:
I think the OP has the airtel netXpert software installed.
Is that the case?

Back