Airtel static IP is a scam?

So, finally I figured out, Airtel static IP scheme is indeed a scam. But only for certain people, who have been provided routers that don't even support static IP! I was one of those. Obviously I couldn't find any option for static IP in my router configuration. After months of complains, one "engineer" came to configure and he realised this router doesn't support static IP.

They changed the router, and now it works fine. Though the new router is pathetic in many other ways - horribly locked up. Even changing SSID, password etc. is not possible, we are supposed to beg Airtel customer support to do it. I don't care much, I disabled Wi-Fi on Airtel provided router and user my own router for running the home network.
How old is that box lol? Never heard of a router that doesn't support static IP, maybe its the method they use for static config that isn't supported but glad you got it somewhat sorted.

How old is that box lol? Never heard of a router that doesn't support static IP, maybe its the method they use for static config that isn't supported but glad you got it somewhat sorted.
It was a Huawei one, 3-4 years old. Yeah, I agree there must be nothing in that hardware that fundamentally doesn't support static IP, but the firmware/OS/interface on top of it surely didn't expose the option to configure it.

Can't we be able to use port forwarding without Static IP? Do we need Static IP even to use cloudflare ? Someone using Cloudflare (with IP/Port) for remote assess of local NAS without subscribe Static IP? I am not able to use cloudflare on my Synology NAS for remote access

Can't we be able to use port forwarding without Static IP? Do we need Static IP even to use cloudflare ? Someone using Cloudflare (with IP/Port) for remote assess of local NAS without subscribe Static IP? I am not able to use cloudflare on my Synology NAS for remote access
There are many ways to achieve the same functionality, like with Tailscale, Zerotier, Ngrok, Cloudflare tunnels etc.

I had no plans for port forwarding, or accessing local stuff from outside.

There are many ways to achieve the same functionality, like with Tailscale, Zerotier, Ngrok, Cloudflare tunnels etc.
Thanks but I didn't successful to use cloudflare tunnel to my NAS (I installed docker container of cloudflare in my NAS). Tunnel is detected and online on cloudflare control panel but while entering public hostname it shows error "TypeError: Failed to fetch" and so I am not able to save my public hostname to access my NAS remotely.

I think port forwarding will not work on CGNAT which most ISP use so switching to static IP means you have your own IP for port forwarding. That's what I remember when I looked into it a long time ago for my Jellyfin server. Ended up using zrok and tailscale for that but thinking of trying the tunnel as well as zrok is kinda slow and tailscale only works for personal devices and has issues running with all time vpn.

So, finally I figured out, Airtel static IP scheme is indeed a scam. But only for certain people, who have been provided routers that don't even support static IP! I was one of those. Obviously I couldn't find any option for static IP in my router configuration. After months of complains, one "engineer" came to configure and he realised this router doesn't support static IP.

They changed the router, and now it works fine. Though the new router is pathetic in many other ways - horribly locked up. Even changing SSID, password etc. is not possible, we are supposed to beg Airtel customer support to do it. I don't care much, I disabled Wi-Fi on Airtel provided router and user my own router for running the home network.
Crazy to think it took it took almost 2 months for them to realise this. In an ideal world they should have asked/checked which router you were using in the first place. How come they don't know about their own routers (granted they have tie up with 3rd party manufacturers who print airtel branding on the router) they should have done some research.
I'm on a genexis titanium 2100 something router that Airtel provided and its alright. I have some nitpicks about it such as its firmware can't seem to be able to be upgraded (infact you can't access it by URL as a bypass it was shown on YT videos I watched). I also can't seem to portforward the ports I needed to.

Back