Airtel v-fiber: Slow broadband speed from non CDN servers

Hello All,

I am using Airtel v-fiber for the last 6+ months on 100 mpbs plan in Hyderabad. I get >100 mbps speed with most video streaming services such as Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Videos, Hotstar etc for regular shows. The challenge is with live streaming, example live sports on Hotstar and some not so popular Youtube channels and live channels. When I checked with online testing sites such as testmy.net or Airtel recommended Speedtest.net (Ookla) I get pathetic download speeds for any international site. Usually the download speed is around 11 to 20 mpbs and upload speed is between 40 to 70 mpbs. The ping is around 200 + ms. The challenge is during evenings and weekends when the speeds are much lower.

I have logged a complaint with Airtel and showed the problem to their technician on home visit. He took some screenshots and so far nothing has happened. Did any of you have had success in resolving speed issues to non CDN servers with Airtel.

Thanks,
Srikanth

Live streaming is an issue with Airtel v fiber. Depends on last mile, your modem router, wifi/lan option.
I did try all possible options and even get Airtel to work on it but they just dont understand the issue.
After 30 mins to 1 hour, it goes for a toss and have to restart the modem for the next hour

Live streaming is an issue with Airtel v fiber. Depends on last mile, your modem router, wifi/lan option.
I did try all possible options and even get Airtel to work on it but they just dont understand the issue.
After 30 mins to 1 hour, it goes for a toss and have to restart the modem for the next hour

The problem certainly is not with the last mile as in router to my PC. It is the same even if I directly connect to the LAN port of the router. The problem for me is that my router is in the first floor and my Fire Stick is in the ground floor. Due to the walls etc the signal strength drops drastically but then with a 100 mpbs bandwidth the signal drop to the ground floor is around 70%. So, I get around 25 to 30 mpbs to the Fire Stick which is good for regular videos on Prime / Netflix for TV series. When it comes to Live programming the 100 mpbs drops to 11 mbps in the first floor. With a 70% drop in signal the available speed to the Fire stick is less than 3 mpbs which works 80% of the time but keeps buffering once in a while.

I cannot move my router or the fire stick. The only option is to get Airtel to improve the speed or invest in wireless mesh.

I think Airtel should provide 100 mbps no matter if it is from CDN server or not. After all I am paying for 100 mpbs service.

I think Airtel should provide 100 mbps no matter if it is from CDN server or not. After all I am paying for 100 mpbs service.

Yeah but hasn't TRAI left a loophole for the ISPs to exploit? Terms and conditions that says "up to 80% of the speed till the ISP node" anything beyond that is fair game for the ISP to not provide advertised speeds.

Yeah but hasn't TRAI left a loophole for the ISPs to exploit? Terms and conditions that says "up to 80% of the speed till the ISP node" anything beyond that is fair game for the ISP to not provide advertised speeds.

WoW!!! I didn't know that. So, if I get 80 mpbs up to airtel servers then Airtel is covered. Even if I get 10 mbps beyond Airtel servers there is nothing the consumer can do!!! Great going TRAI.

Yeah we can trust TRAI for such gems of regulations.

Although in your case it sounds like some real issue which can be resolved. I doubt Airtel is intentionally throttling speeds to international locations (non CDN). Keep pestering them and hopefully they should resolve it.

Back