Alert to the newbies- fraudlent assemblers!!

Anyone here in Pune will be quite familiar with Mahi Computers. The difference here is that the guy is very aware of what he's selling and is one of the more knowledgeable dealers I've seen till now. But he will try to con you anytime and everytime.

Yesterday I rang him up to enquire for the price of GTX 260.. He told me that it is available and will cost me 18k.. I was like wtf! When was the last time you contacted your distri? He said he'll call me back in 5.

Then he rang me up and said that GTX280 will cost me 21k and GTX275 will cost me 15k. He didn't even have the GTX260 in stock! :O

PS: Lol, Sorcy I was going to report your thread for causing temporary blindness :D (j/k)

This rarely happens in large markets like NP and Lamington Road , just inquire priuces at 5-6 shops , unless you are REALLY unlucky :p , atleast one will quote you genuine prices

Few days back my frnd's PSU died and he called me..He said he is gonna upgrade his system and needs a good SMPS.

I suggested him CM 460 but fool was not ready to pay that much.So i suggested him VIP powersafe 500W.

I was not in town and hence he went to some shop in Ghatkopar and he asked the dealer whether he has VIP 500W?

That guy said VIP..Whats that :p. My frnd replied SMPS.

He said aisa koi nahi aata hai...Frontech ka hai mere pass..Leke jav.Usmein sab GFX card chalega..Kaunsa bhi ..Naye se Naya :rofl:

My frnd beleived him and took Frontech-cheapo PSU for 1100rs..

When i came back..I called him and asked him..Did you get VIP 500W?

He said i took better SMPS.I thought he took CM 460..So i asked him Coolermaster 460 rite?

He was like no no..The Best SMPS in town rite now. :p

Frontech 500w. i was like WTF :mad::mad:

Now whenver he calls me i dont suggest him anything.. :mad::mad:

There are lots of guys who dont know much about computers and the prices. I remember sometime around 1998. I was in school but still i knew much about computers than the layman. Back at that time, people used to know that there were only 2 kind of computers. The Black & White and the Color Computer.

Even now lots of the teenagers have no idea about these stuff and the dealer can take them for a ride.

I had a friend of mine, and he wanted to run just Autocad and Pro-E on his PC. Those are basic design software used in the Mechanical Engg fields. And the Dealer gave him a supercomputer. The graphics card costed him around 10k. His total cost came to 60k. I said WTF. He said u dont know much. I said FO. he said LOL.:p

WingZero said:
Sad case....wen something like this happens i do get the feeling how dumb people canbe i mean what was the uncle thinking 2.5 lac for the setup??...even the newspaper have ad's branded pc's with quad core costing just 40k.

Research, research and research. 3 golden words and things to do before spending your hard earned money.

This reveals another aspect of human mentality. People usually trust and agree to some illiterate shopkeeper but are not ready to listen to a young guy coz he's just completed his studies or is still doing it.
I got lot of guidance and support from TE members sometime ago when I planned to buy a new pc. Harryneopotter even offered to come and assemble it for me. Initially I had doubts on his claim; when he told me about his achievements I was speechless. Around 9yrs ago during my college days, I used to be aware of all this stuff but this time I needed help and I got it and I am thankful to all members for that.

Another thing i have seen is people keep a very high ego and do not admit their mistakes - whatever it be. If they are taken for a ride and you are the one to blow the whistle - be ready to put your relationship under scanner or be ready to listen - 'tujhe nahin pata...' and all such crap

At the same I feel very disappointed seeing such people. They have lost all moral values and shamelessly make fool of others.

Not only to PCs, this applies to any new purchase. Come on, do some research people! The greatest information gathering tool - internet is at your fingertips, use it. You can know the prices of almost anything with a few clicks. Even if you ask me to buy something which I haven't heard about in my entire life and no nothing about, I can guarantee that I will do some research and buy it at the best price for you. I don't remember when I was fooled last time buying something (that may seem like bragging but that's the truth.) If you don't know anything, search for it. If that doesn't help, consult the experts - it's that simple!

Abhi.

I have never ever ever come across a case where a friend or a relative of the family has sold a PC without ripping them off. And still it is the #1 most preferred way for getting computers. The worst thing about this is that people actually get angry at you for pointing out that they are getting ripped off.

:) exactly I find it very difficult to explain to my uncles and aunt's about what a good psu is..In guwahati such rip offs are regular..

I have seen people being sold sick stuff for so much..Also they do not have any idea about the latest technologies etc..

I personally feel the TE dealers are a much better lot..

+1 to the post though and as usual thanks to TE..I have learnt a lot from this forum..

Happens all the time. They are after all business people and they will rip you off left right and center if you give them the chance. So better not give them the chance.

I still remember the time when an acquaintance of mine was conned by his assembler. This was back in the Penium and Pentium II Era when AMD and Cyrix still made socket compatible x86 clones which were a lot cheaper than their Intel counterparts.

The configuration was supposed to be a Original Intel Mobo with a Pentium II 266 MHz and 64Mb RAM. He got it alright, but the CD ROM drive was of a lower speed than he was promised. So he took back the entire Cabinet, when he got it back, the Mobo was a cheapo VIA one, the Processor was also a cheapo Cyrix or AMD (I don't remember which). He never realized the changes done to his system till I pointed it out. The worst bit was that this acquaintance of mine was running a computer Institute with a decent number of people going there to learn about computers.

There were numerous other instances on which I have saved numerous friends and acquaintances from being conned.

manu1991 said:
This rarely happens in large markets like NP and Lamington Road , just inquire priuces at 5-6 shops , unless you are REALLY unlucky :p , atleast one will quote you genuine prices

The thing is that they will still try to con you if they can. I didn't experience this in Nehru Place, but I did see this in CTC, Hyderabad. There are countless shops there, but they still have the audacity to over quote and I see quite a number of people being taken for a ride even in the popular shops there. Even the shop there Arun Computers where I bought a mobo was conning people whenever they get the chance.

Wow! Seriously, I never knew that people actually did not research stuff before spending that much money! I guess computers are still seen as sort of mysterious by the layman and hence they just accept whatever the "expert" facing them tells them. Much like you trust your doctor with whatever s/he diagnoses. Neway, I was kinda ripped off the last time I bought my own config a few years ago and therefore am doing much more intensive research this time around! :D

rofl! That AMD proccy on intel board thing was ultra hilarious!! :rofl:

And I would recommend newbies to first acquire knowledge about hardware and how to assemble it properly! only then they should buy it.

If u think u r being cheated! buy a lappy instead! :p

Back