Alienware X51 or Mac ?

F3niX

TechH0LiC
Skilled
Hi Guys!

I am thinking to sell my current Desktop and go for a Small Factor System!

Reason: Space Constraint! Not enough space..

So, my Current Config is:

Q6600, 4GB, 500GB,512MB nVidia 9600GSO,etc.

Any current i Series CPU will be a Serious Upgrade for me,wont it!?

Anyway, I was looking at Small Factor Systems, and was considering Mac Mini/iMac!

As I told earlier, I was planning for iMac 27/Server + ATB

But,Due to space constraint and with introduction of new X51, I am planning to go for a 32" LED TV + Mac Mini or X51

Gaming is not my Primary concern as I have my 360 for it!

USAGE:

Music, Movies and TV Shows, Browsing, Programming and Web Dev, Light 2D Photoshop work(for Sites) and CS1.6(At max).

Budget: Upto 70K

Considering:

1) Alienware X51 with Dell Monitor( which I intend to use with my 360 too) Bundle for 73K

2) Mac Mini Server + 32" LED TV - Inclining more towards this

3) iMac 21.5" - Considering this as it is one Helluva Computer.!

Which one to buy guys!? It will be my MAIN Computer for 3-5 years!

Consider gaming as my Least Priority! I have a Laptop for my Windows gaming!

You can say the new computer is gonna be my Primary Computer cum HTPC!

I can wait for a Month more if needed! But Help me out on which to buy??

^^ I think an assembled SSF PC will be a better buy over the overpriced Alienware and underpowered Mac Mini, this is what I will suggest in your price band --

AMD solution --

AMD A8-3850 ~6500/- [AMD's first true FUSION processor with GPU on die has raised the stakes in the HTPC and SFF PC circles, packing a quad-core Athlon + HD 5670 levels graphics in a small die -- http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a8-3850-llano,2975.html / http://www.anandtech.com/show/4476/amd-a83850-review / http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/30964-amd-llano-desktop-a8-3850-review-banging-intels-door/]

Gigabyte GA-A75-D2H ~5900/-

G.Skill RIPJAWS 1600MHz 4GBx 2 ~3400/-

[retain your old SATA II HDD as prices are sky high due to floods in Thailand last season add additional capacity later]

Silverstone Sugo SG02B ~4100/- http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1499&category_id=113&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Seasonic S12II 520W ~3500/-

The 32" TV you plan to purchase should go really well with this set-up [HTPC and light gaming + Photoshop]

Logitech Multimedia combo [Keyboard + mouse] ~700/- OR Micrososft Wireless Desktop ~2000/-

Intel solution --

Intel Core i5 2400 ~10900/-

Intel DH67-BL ~5800/-

AMD HD 6670 ~5500/-

[REST configurations same as above]

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

I've not suggested audio set-up as I'm not that much informed about good speakers.

Get a mac mini.best personal computer for your needs in my opinion.

A friend of mine has been using it for 4 years now,it just works the way you want it.i disagree with alpha that it is low powered.it is resonably powered and is more than enough for your needs.

Mac Mini is no Way Underpowered!!

Saw it and iMac at store!!!

Ran GeekBench to test! Mac Mini was WAAY faster!!

But, games ran well on iMac, and screen is awesome!!

If I go the assembeld way! Can you please suggest me a good case and CPU!

Suggest one with no Heat Issues(a QUAD core is bare min for me!)

Op, have you used the mac os anytime? See if you feel comfortable using it and then take the plunge. The imac is a good option for your needs as it might be withing your budget. But remember gaming on PC is a much different experience than doing so on xbox so you might as well take advantge of it if you are spending money for your PC. Read good reviews for the x51 but keep in mind that even a bit of upgrade will add a significant amount to your build.

I would suggest an iMac 27"inch if budget is not a concern. Or a Mac Mini, if you are low on budget. Both computers will do all the tasks you mentioned beautifully. And Mac OS X Lion is something that will instantly fall in love with.

Further, no assembled computer can match Apple. Apple products are a class apart:)

Mac Mini is no Way Underpowered!!

Saw it and iMac at store!!!

Ran GeekBench to test! Mac Mini was WAAY faster!!

But, games ran well on iMac, and screen is awesome!!

If I go the assembeld way! Can you please suggest me a good case and CPU!

Suggest one with no Heat Issues(a QUAD core is bare min for me!)

Intel Core i5 2400 ~10500/-

Intel DH67-BL ~5800/-

AMD HD 6670 ~5800/-

[rest configuration same as the AMD Llano RIG I've suggested you]

G.Skill RIPJAWS 1600MHz 4GBx 2 ~3400/-

[retain your old SATA II HDD as prices are sky high due to floods in Thailand last season add additional capacity later]

Silverstone Sugo SG02B ~4100/- http://www.primeabgb...emart&Itemid=53

Seasonic S12II 520W ~3500/-

The 32" TV you plan to purchase should go really well with this set-up [HTPC and light gaming + Photoshop]

Logitech Multimedia combo [Keyboard + mouse] ~700/- OR Micrososft Wireless Desktop ~2000/-

Further, no assembled computer can match Apple. Apple products are a class apart:)

A budget apart too.

Thank you for your suggestions!!

I am actually gonna go to store and check them before buying it!

In process of selling my desktop, Once its sold, I am gonna Buy it!

And, BTW it will be 99.99% a MAC

Hardware wise, both are underpowered/overpriced compared to anything you can put together yourself. Form factor/display is a non issue too as there are some great micro/mini cases/mobo.(s) out there and some really nice Dell ~27 inch-er(s) and so on.

The only choice with something truly different to offer (i.e., the OS) is the Mac, so if you are into that, go for it... Personally I wouldn't spend in this bracket and not have the ability to game very much on the computer if I felt like it, but that's just me.

Good luck with the sale.
<

Thanks Buddy!

I just want a Mac, I made my decision at last!

Just then I saw that the Macs are gonna have a complete overhaul! Waiting for its news,as Ivy is nearby!

Thanks Buddy!

Just then I saw that the Macs are gonna have a complete overhaul! Waiting for its news,as Ivy is nearby!

Yes, but you cant be sure. We dont know if intel will delay IB to Apple also. Anyways, if you plan to get the 27 incher, lemme know as a friend plans to get the same. Could get a better discount if possible.

Also, unless you feel like you need a Mac, don't jump for it. Evaluate both and choose the better option.

Thanks Buddy!

if by mac you are going for the mini,then don't wait.it won't be revamped like say the iMac or the pro.fair bet is that the air and the mini is going to stay the same.so if you are getting the latter then it makes little sense waiting.

Ok sure,

Will let you all know.

Right now in process of selling my desktop.

Once it is done, will buy a Mac.

Back