CPU/Mobo Alternate Cooling for undervolted + underclocked AMD X2 4800+

tech_suhail

Disciple
Hi Guys,

Offlately been bitten by the bug of fanless pc's :) which is really tough to acheive sitting in India (becuase of fanless psu availability )

ok, so here is the scenario...Presently running an AMD x2 4800+ underclocked to 1.6mhz and undervolted to 1v. Its running stable and passed all test of prime and super-pi.

The average idle temp is between 11C-14C whereas full load temp is between 17c-21c, the average calculated over a period of 2 hours.

Also, core 0 remains 2-3 degrees higher than core 1,that is at idle core 0 would be 13-14 where as core 1 would be 10-11.

Now the question ....Is it possible to run a cpu fanless with just a heatsink :huh: or suggest a very low speed fan ?

Thanks in advance for all the helpfull people in here, hoping something good comes outta this discussion.

tech_suhail said:
Now the question ....Is it possible to run a cpu fanless with just a heatsink :huh: or suggest a very low speed fan ?

Yes without a fan its possible although u need an exhaust and at least 2 intake for ur enclosure; :)

Get a TRUE [an overkill for an X2 though :p]/TR Utima [sounds better];

Thnx, for your reply gannu....but 2 intake fans really don't make sense...as that would be increasing the noise.

TR Ultima.... since this setup+enhancements are gonna move into a Antec Fusion so isn't height gonna be a problem??

11C idle!! where do you live dude,in himalayas?

you can try and mod a larger fan to run with low RPM,or if the temperatures are really that low to throw away the fan and just use heatsink.

tech_suhail,
Something is seriously wrong. Is your CPU clocked at 1.6mhz? According to ISO, m stands for milli (0.001 hertz)but even if you mean M which is mega (1000000 hertz) it is a factor of about a thousand underclocked. Can you even open notepad in less than a minute?

By 11C do you mean 11 degrees Celcius? What is the temperature of the room your PC is in? As you are in Delhi, I would assume it is not snowing outside. Difficult to imagine someone running so cool with an AC. I would have assumed you mean 11 degrees Celcius if it weren't for an big error in frequency(milli hertz), making me think you speak in some different language than me.

@ bingoUV : Apologies to you and all for the ghz mistype its 1.6ghz...was using my phone keyboard and auto dictonary caused the crap .... and i was amazed just like you guys .. when i saw one core go down to 11 degree celcius ... but trust me it did (no blabing) ... it was with air conditioning which is on the opposite wall to where the comp is kept.... like 10 feet away from comp.

I live in delhi, and genrally with firefox browser and itunes in background, the avg. temp remains avg. 16-18 degrees as reported by right mark cpu clock utility... i'll post screenshots for proof.

@ gamervivek's :I dont live in Himalayas, but it would be cool to llive there, only if we could find constant electricity and atlest mobile netwroks to stay in the loop here :)

If your AC reports the temperature of the room, please measure it. There is no way your CPU can be cooler than the room it is in. If it is, the temperature sensor on it is wrong.

Another way to guess the room temperature is to use your body. If idle CPU temperature is 11C, room temperature can at most be 10C. I feel quite cold and need woollens at this temperature.

Dude ... i know what 10d celcius is like...have lived in london for 2-3 years and have felt temp. in minuses, and i dont feel the temp sensor on cpu is incorrect ( i may be wrong), because at stock speed and stock voltage the cpu was running between 26-30 idle and 38 and above on casual load... did'nt do peak at full speed.

Sorry don't have a facility of room temp monitor in my ac.... will post screenshots for your reff.... and any other things you feel can help you diagnose that the cpu sensor might be faulty.

Honestly, appreciate your help and feedbacks.

So you feel temperature could be less than 10C in your room now (because you don't feel the temp sensor on cpu is incorrect) ? And you do not need woollens? Your body is a bit unusual.

+1 for TRUE.

I'm suing a TRU ( not extreme) passive on a X2 3800 on stock volts and stock speeds. wont go above 29-31 on idle and 42 on load. Ofcourse i have a huge and silent fan in the front pushing air. thats a bare minimum one should have to run a passive comp.

I didnt say it was less than 10C nor did i say my body was bla bla bla.... what i do knwo is that ur being unwantedly agressive with your posts.

Anyways..freedom of expression.

Note : i did mention the cpu temps were high, when at stock speed and voltage. so i dont think the cpu sensors are bad.

Thanks Sunnyboi... the TRU looks like a good option... but later when i move to a Antec Fusion ... front fan intake wouldnt be an option ... would the side mounted intake fans of fusion do fine for TRU??

Your aggression sensors are surely bad :). Aggression was the last thing on my mind.

I mentioned earlier that CPU temp 11C means room temp less than 10C. You wisely did not disagree with this logic so I thought you don't need any more convincing on this point. After this if you say CPU sensors are not bad, I could only assume that room temperatures are quite low. I only meant to say that your metabolism rates are quite high so you are not uncomfortable at such low temperatures. Different people have different rates of metabolism, and it is ok.

At stock speed the temp were higher could mean that CPU temperature sensors are showing e.g. 15C lower than the real temperature. It could mean other things too, but I don't know what.

TRU is a HUGE heatsink. I'm not able to close my sidepanels because of its height. If I could, maybe another couple of degrees drop.

Get the TRUE, its a better version ofmy TRU. However, check for compatibility in your case, if TRUE can fit and you can close your sidepanel.

EDIT : TRU = Thermalright Ultra 120, not Ultima 90. Cant comment on Ultima :)

Brisbane sensors are shiatz, so those temps seem ok and actual core temp will be higher most probably. :p

Fusion- then not many options for you.

How about a Scythe Ninja mini? :p
Or woill have to mod an Enzotech ExtremeX maybe and fit the fan on the lower side.
Or some other cooler than will fit in that case. :)

don't be miffed by insanely low core temperatures on a brisbane/780g combo, even mine tend to show the core temperatures as around 15-16C while the cpu temp is detected around 36-37C

Back