CPU/Mobo Am I missing something?

Maestro

Adept
I recently decide to dust off my old PIII mobo as I finally had the components to build a 2nd PC. Trouble is, the PSU fan wouldnt start after turning it on. Tried new cables..no change. Finally bought a new PSU, still no change. Shouldn't the PSU start working once I turn on the switch.

I connected it to the mobo (Intel 815E) to see if it worked, no signs of life. Heatsink fan didn't start up. Is there something wrong with the board. This is all being done outside a cabby. Is there a secondary power switch I have to use.

What am I doing wrong?

It's an iBall PSU. I use an identical one in my main machine.

I checked the PSU with an even older PII machine. Same result.

How can you tell if a mobo is still in working condition?

^^ The PSU that u r sure is working (the main machine one), use that to boot up the PC, see if that helps.

Or use the older PSU on your main machine to see if the PSU is dead or not.

Right, I finally powered up the system but it didn't POST. I tried switching around the ram but to no effect. I tried resetting the CMOS jumper but that didn't help. How will I know if the Cmos jumper reset had any effect?

What else could be the problem?

as an alternative to jumper you can unplug the power cable and remove the battery on the mobo for 15-30mins that will also reset the bios

bottle said:
as an alternative to jumper you can unplug the power cable and remove the battery on the mobo for 15-30mins that will also reset the bios

I tried this but it didn't work.

Could it be a problem with the onboard video? I last used this board with a discrete card. Don't remember if there was an option to turn off the onboard video or not. Don't have the card anymore so I can't test this.

dont plugg in any fp(front panel aka reset/power/hdd led), dont connect any cables like ide or any other stuff. use a tester to switch on by placing the - side in between the pins and make sure that this tester shd become a bridge.
Dont try try this on anything else or you will burst up.

shahbaaz_vision said:
dont plugg in any fp(front panel aka reset/power/hdd led), dont connect any cables like ide or any other stuff. use a tester to switch on by placing the - side in between the pins and make sure that this tester shd become a bridge.
Dont try try this on anything else or you will burst up.

Nothing is connected to it but the monitor, not even a keyboard. It's not in a case atm, I use a screwdriver to power on the system.

Have you checked if the PSU is working? Short the 3rd and 4th pins (green and black), and turn it on. If its working, then possibly some problem with your mobo.

Back