Amazon external HDD scam, Be aware!

Blue Leaf

Voice of Voiceless
Disciple
I have been using amazon ever since it started its services in India. This is the first time I have been scammed.
This was an openbox delivery but unfortunately I was not home when the product arrived. My parents collected the product on my behaf by shareing the OTP code with the delivry person..

Upon returning back I discovered this scam, contacted amazon support immediately and raised the issue. They have asked me to wait 3 days while they investiage the case.
The iem was sold by Appario Retail Private Ltd and Fulfilled by Amazon.

IMG-20231022-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20231022-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20231022-WA0002.jpg

Appario Retail Private Ltd
I select Appario for most of my purchases, never had issues.. But yours seems a different issue completely, do update what is the resolution after 3 days ?
Just note, dont let the return/replacement date pass away.
If dont hear back in 3 days, go to Amazon India FB page, they are quite serious there.

I select Appario for most of my purchases, never had issues.. But yours seems a different issue completely, do update what is the resolution after 3 days ?
Just note, dont let the return/replacement date pass away.
If dont hear back in 3 days, go to Amazon India FB page, they are quite serious there.

Appario has been my goto seller on amazon for several years. This is the first time I have been a victim of such scams. I always knew they existed. I am just grateful that the damages are minimum @ ~10K. Could have been worse.

Could have avoided this whole situation if I or my brother would have been present at the time of the delivery.
I actually ordered the drive for my brother who so happens to work in Amazon as a CS representative. As per him since this was open box delivery, Amazon is likely to reject the claim. He would not be able to do much as he just joined amazon 6 months ago.

Will keep this thead updated.

My hypothesis : Observing the box closely, there seems to some kind of a blue marking. I think this is how scammers at the local hub mark the box, making it easier for the delivery agents to quickly identify. I am quite positive the delivery agents get their cut money too. There is gotta be a bigger nexus thats is running this whole operation.

20231022_151710.jpg

My hypothesis : Observing the box closely, there seems to some kind of a blue marking. I think this is how scammers at the local hub mark the box, making it easier for the delivery agents to quickly identify. I am quite positive the delivery agents get their cut money too. There is gotta be a bigger nexus thats is running this whole operation.
For the delivery person alone to commit this scam, they would have to know what the product is and get a look alike item to replace it. Seeing how many packages they have to deliver in a day, I agree that someone at the hub is probably involved as well.

Did this product not have outer packaging? One would think Open Box Inspection would be safer, unless they intentionally attempt delivery only in the middle of the day hoping to deliver it to someone not too safety conscious like the elderly/neighbour/watchman etc.

For the delivery person alone to commit this scam, they would have to know what the product is and get a look alike item to replace it. Seeing how many packages they have to deliver in a day, I agree that someone at the hub is probably involved as well.

Did this product not have outer packaging? One would think Open Box Inspection would be safer, unless they intentionally attempt delivery only in the middle of the day hoping to deliver it to someone not too safety conscious like the elderly/neighbour/watchman etc.
Yup its not a one man job, there is a big nexus around it. The products are most likely sold to small scale shops/warehouses that sell original prodcuts at high discounted rates. They often run ads on social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook and sometime even hire local content creators for advertisement..

I don't think there was an outer box. Unsually when I am not at home my parcels are left unopened. But I will confirm with my dad and update on the same.

everyone likes to blame the delivery guys but i think they are not involved in these. they carry costly items worth lacs in their bags and have everything from iphones, ssd's etc. why will they go to such lengths for an external hdd? this was probably done by the seller who used amazon services for delivery.

One more example when parents arent home and this happens. Wonder why dont people get it delivered at their offices or places where they will be present on those days.

everyone likes to blame the delivery guys but i think they are not involved in these. they carry costly items worth lacs in their bags and have everything from iphones, ssd's etc. why will they go to such lengths for an external hdd? this was probably done by the seller who used amazon services for delivery.
If you read my comments carefully, I clearly said its a nexus that runs the scams at the hub level, Delivery guys just happen to be the front end of the operation.
Having said that offcourse not all delivery guys are corrupt, Infact most of them are really hardworking chaps and I appriciate and acknowlege their efforts.
But that does not change the fact that there are corrupt delivery guys too who like to makes a quick and easy money.

The seller here was Appario retails and I never had any issues with them or any other seller for the past 10 years.
One more example when parents arent home and this happens. Wonder why dont people get it delivered at their offices or places where they will be present on those days.
Well parents were home but they have zero knowledge about computer hardwares or any tech related stuffs.
As a prime member I did select the slot for delivery to be done in the evening but the delivery person called me in the morning stating he won't be able to deliver the item during evening hours as all major roads would be blocked due to Durga Puja.

Road blocks/ No entries are very common thing in Kolkata during Durga Puja, So I did not have any issues with him delivering the product early as his reasons were justified.
So keep your exampls aside and understand where I am coming from.

Last edited:
As a prime member I did select the slot for delievry to be done in the evening but the delivery person called me in the morning stating he won't be able to deliver the item during evening hours as all major roads would be blocked due to Durga Puja.
You should had rescheduled it for the next day during your availability.
Road blocks/ No entries are very common thing in Kolkata during Durga Puja, So I did not have any issues with him delivering the product early as his reasons were justified.
You didn't mentioned this in the first post,
So keep your exampls aside and understand where I am coming from.
Can't, as most of these scams happen when the actual tech savvy person isn't present at home during delivery. Agree or disagree!

Last edited:
You should had rescheduled it for the next day during your availability.
I was very open on my previous post about how I could have avoided this situation.

But it seems you are just trying to win an argument here which isn't helping anybody.

I was very open on my previous post about how I could have avoided this situation.

But it seems you are just trying to win an argument here which isn't helping anybody.
Not interested in winning anything around.. Just want to highlight when these scams are happening on a daily basis, the safest bet would have been to reschedule it for next day when either you or your brother would have been present at the time of the delivery.

Just an example in my case, last week I ordered a phone for my dad in another city from flipkart in an exchange offer. The delivery guy refused to accept the exchange phone as he kept giving lame reasons like slot is loose and what not he can think about. My brother reached home on time and ensured there was no issue with the phone etc. else the delivery boy was asking my dad to pay the difference.

Now, these two incidents might be slightly different but sole motto is same- to rob the people either on face or in the back end!

Not interested in winning anything around.. Just want to highlight when these scams are happening on a daily basis, the safest bet would have been to reschedule it for next day when either you or your brother would have been present at the time of the delivery.

Just an example in my case, last week I ordered a phone for my dad in another city from flipkart in an exchange offer. The delivery guy refused to accept the exchange phone as he kept giving lame reasons like slot is loose and what not he can think about. My brother reached home on time and ensured there was no issue with the phone etc. else the delivery boy was asking my dad to pay the difference.

Now, these two incidents might be slightly different but sole motto is same- to rob the people either on face or in the back end!
Agreed, the safest bet would have been to reschedule but I absolutely needed that drive asap as my current drive is on ventilation and could die at any given moment.(pic attached)
Anyways this has been a good learning experience for me. Hopefully I won't be making this mistake in the future.
The purpose of creating this thead was to spread awareness, I do not expect amazon to refund as this was open box delivery and I am solely responsible for this mess, but incase they do replace/refund
it would be a good consumer experience on my end.
1698055694670.png

I do not expect amazon to refund as this was open box delivery and I am solely responsible for this mess, but incase they do replace/refund
it would be a good consumer experience on my end.
An unboxing video could have helped here but since it apparo, amazon and the usual cheating during sale, they might refund you back.

Appario has been my goto seller on amazon for several years. This is the first time I have been a victim of such scams. I always knew they existed. I am just grateful that the damages are minimum @ ~10K. Could have been worse.

Could have avoided this whole situation if I or my brother would have been present at the time of the delivery.
I actually ordered the drive for my brother who so happens to work in Amazon as a CS representative. As per him since this was open box delivery, Amazon is likely to reject the claim. He would not be able to do much as he just joined amazon 6 months ago.

Will keep this thead updated.

View attachment 181145
Order another drive, try to get the delivery when you are physically present. (many times you get to select delivery slot)
Change this damaged product with new..

Nothing else, I can suggest apart from same.

Agreed, the safest bet would have been to reschedule but I absolutely needed that drive asap as my current drive is on ventilation and could die at any given moment.(pic attached)
I would get a second opinion on your drive from HD Sentinel.

Back in the day, Crystal Mark showed 'caution,' on one of my drives, while HD Sentinel showed 96% health, and thereby continued to work without any issues for years.

Because courier can be delivered at 10am or at 10pm so they are not sure where to expect delivery.
Very true, although members have an option to select among multiple delivery slots but right below the slots, its reads "Some orders may arrive early"

Back