Amazon India ends return policy for mobile phones

Number of days for returns has also changed. It used to be 30 days IIRC but that was decreased to 7 days from a week or so ago till today. Currently its 10 days for returns.
Source: I check Moto E price every few hours. Yes EVERY FEW HOURS.
It was never 30 days.

10 days sounds about right and has not changed. Course their courier has to show up to pick up the return and i found these buggers only do that in the morning. They say two time slots but nobody shows up in the afternoon.

They had just one place to return their goods on the other side of town.

When I stayed in US mostly this was a practice by Indians and Pakistanis to return the goods even after using it for over a month. They exactly return it couple of day's before the expiry of validity period. No wonder Amazon has stopped this system in India.
But they have not stopped it in the US or the UK have they ? why

They've more established over there as is evident by the much larger selection. Therefore they generate a healthy profit to cover these losses. Amazon in India is still finding its feet, this policy is a temporary one until they are more confident.

They've more established over there as is evident by the much larger selection. Therefore they generate a healthy profit to cover these losses. Amazon in India is still finding its feet, this policy is a temporary one until they are more confident.
It's a question of the percentages - As online shopping gets more mainstream and older/more mature buyers start ordering online, the percentage of users misusing consumer friendly policies will come down..

Speaking for myself, I would have happily made a return for the flimsiest of reasons when I was in high school/college (of course there was no such option back then)
I won't do a return today unless the item is broken /DOA because a) you aren't bothered about small things anymore b) taking the time out to schedule a return is a hassle in itself

I won't do a return today unless the item is broken /DOA because a) you aren't bothered about small things anymore b) taking the time out to schedule a return is a hassle in itself
Neither would i, break my head enough before pressing the buy button.

So imagine my surprise one day when amazon tell me they are refunding me for an earlier purchase i made. Called them up and told them i never asked for a refund and that i was happy with the product i bought and had no intention of ever returning it.

They said it was a glitch and no further action was required from me.

Two days later the money appeared in my account (!)

It's a question of the percentages - As online shopping gets more mainstream and older/more mature buyers start ordering online, the percentage of users misusing consumer friendly policies will come down..

Speaking for myself, I would have happily made a return for the flimsiest of reasons when I was in high school/college (of course there was no such option back then)

It has nothing to do with maturity, lack of education or percentages. It's all about cheap desi thinking. Indians are infamous for misusing such policies the world over.

Whenever I visited Walmart or Target store in US, I could see lots of desis in the returns queue. They were mature, highly educated and probably even green card holders. One particular desi drew my attention as he was arguing over usage marks on a baby stroller. Clearly, that desi took along the stroller with him on his India vacation and was trying to return it after showing his US-standard-of-living to his relatives.

As I interacted with more desis in the US, I realized almost all of them misuse the return policies. Some US stores have very relaxed return policies, when it comes to clothing etc. A lot of times I saw my colleagues' India vacation pics on Facebook in clothes/shoes which they never wore in the US. I then found out that it was a trend among my desi colleagues to buy clothes before each India visit and return them afterwards. And it didn't end there... they stole laptops/cameras too! Modus operandi was to order a costly laptop when their US assignment was about to end. Remove few keys, click pics and file for replacement. A lot of companies ship the replacement immediately, without asking to return the damaged one first. After receiving the replacement, they would just fly back to India with 2 laptops.

It's probably because of our cheap desis that Apple/Verizon now levy heavy fines upon breaking the iPhone contract. Back then, there weren't much checks (credit score etc) and one could easily have an iPhone in their hands by paying just $200. All of my desi colleagues got an iPhone Ver1 during that period in the US.

And one rotten desi kela spoiled it for everyone living in a particular US zip code. This desi would ask his US colleagues to order Macbooks on his behalf, citing various payment issues. Apple delivered 3 laptops but he told them that he never got the delivery. He then ran away to India with 3 laptops, but paid for only 1. Probably he got the refund too but Apple investigated this issue and after finding out the real story, banned him and everybody living in that community (desi or not).

Amazon did the right thing by showing Indians where they belong!

And Amazon is not the first one to show Indians their right place. It's been more than a decade that lots of B&M high-end fashion stores don't accept any kind of returns... and for purchases made on certain big sales days, they don't even entertain replacements. Lots of no-name desi B&M stores have now started copying them but it isn't Amazon to bring in such India specific return policies... they were just too late in implementing them.

Majority of Indians can never change for good, no matter how much they progress in life.

I think just like Nigerian are for scams, Indian are for this cheap mentality

I seriously think it's 200 years of British raj and poverty actually damaged our previous generations psychology being carried forward and that will take time to heal

Amazon employee, friend arrested for cheating the e-commerce giant by returning duplicate iPhones

In House Mischief:

Two persons were on Wednesday arrested for allegedly cheating the e-commerce giant Amazon by buying iPhones from the online portal and then reclaiming the money by returning duplicate phones.

Commissioner's Task Force (South Zone Team) arrested Ankush Birajdar, who worked as a risk investigator at Amazon, and his friend Mir Feroz Ali. Additional deputy commissioner of police N Koti Reddy said in a release that they bought expensive iPhones online from Amazon by creating fake customer email ids.

After getting the delivery they asked the company to take them back on the pretexts like tampered package, defects in the product or delayed delivery, etc. However, they sold off the original iPhone and returned duplicate handsets.

Birajdar worked as a risk investigator of transactions, risk management team in Amazon at Madhapur in Hyderabad and found the loopholes in the online refunding process for the rejected items and decided to exploit it, police said. Police seized six iPhones from them
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...mmerce-by-returning-duplicate-iphones-2224256

Back