Amazon Renewed . Is it any good?

tomclancy1201

Disciple
I was on the look for buying a new monitor and had my eyes on ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A which is available for 32.7k. Recently a renewed one has become available for 28.1k

With the bank offers that I can utilise i am saving about 4k. Is it worth buying the renewed one. I personally do not have any issues buying used stuff at all. It's just that I will be getting only 6 months of warranty compared to 3yrs.
What's the deal with the Renewed products

My brother ordered a renewed camera (saved 11k) and it worked like a charm for 10 months. After that - dang. Around 14-15k spent so far and now it's a couple thousands more dearer.

2 Ways to look at it:

1) Price difference is roughly 5k, so imo you should go for the brand new purchase. (If you're getting that additional 4k benefit too)

2) If that additional discount is limited to the renewed one, then you're in for a decent deal. During the 6 months coverage, if by any chance the Montior becomes problematic, you'll be asked to send it to the seller for repairs. Depending on the outcome, you'll either get a replacement or refund (based on availability).

My suggestion is that you go for the new one. BLB and dead pixels are already the common issues and limiting your coverage furthur down to 6 months could be troublesome and time consuming.

Spend 4k more and get a new one.
Cons for this renewed one -
- Product may be packed in a non-branded box.
- Accessories may not be original
- 6 months only warranty compared to 3 years from Asus
- Seller warranty, so don't expect service support like Asus.

In general amazon renewed is ok for some items but not here with this item.

Amazon Renewed is good initiative, but the standards are far lower for Amazon India. This started off years ago as ''Warehouse Deals" on Amazon US, and it was generally a reliable way of getting electronics in like-new condition just because someone else had buyer's remorse.

Here in India, for almost predictable reasons (technical illiteracy), it's become a dumping ground for scammers and fraudsters. There's absolute minimal testing done (if at all) before something is put up back for sale after it's been returned. For monitors, you'll find that they have dead pixels or uneven backlight. For hard drives, you'll find bad sectors because original purchaser dropped it when they were opening it. For other accessories, there's usually a cable or remote or power adapter missing.

It's not worth it unless you're saving 25% or more off the actual price. Usually appliances are marked down by this amount. Issues with those are easier to deal with. For example, a fan may have been returned because it's too loud or doesn't blow enough air. A mixer may have been returned because it needed a 16A socket and the original purchaser only has 10A sockets in their kitchen.

There's actually an ongoing meme of a Zotac mini pc traveling all over india with a missing GPU over at r/indiangaming. Someone stole the GPU, left the PCI plate in the case before returning it:

9uszuxodhcu71.png

At least one two units have ended up as a Renewed item after the GPU was stolen:

There are deals to be had with Amazon Renewed, I often peruse through them here: https://www.amazon.in/s?me=A1X54IAKXCWO8D&marketplaceID=A21TJRUUN4KGV but saving 5k on a 30k+ item is not a very good deal.

It's a hit and miss. I have a Samsung 1440p 144hz 27 inch monitor bought as Amazon renewed. The difference between new and renewed was 6k. The only issue it had was that the box was stained from outside. That's it. Product was practically brand new.

In your case here, the difference isn't much (just 4k). I would suggest you to go with the new and buy using Amazon pay icici card for about 2k extra off (discount + cashback).

It depends what you're buying and luck factor is also involved. but
It's worst idea to purchase something renewed when you're buying some battery operated devices or mobiles/earphones etc.

Like 3 weeks back, first time ever I purchased some renewed item from Amazon - refurbay WD SN750 . After card discount I got it for 15300.
Before placing the order I asked the seller and he assured me about sending a unit with 100% health. Shipping was quick from New Delhi and next day it arrived.
The item I received was OEM or some grey market stuff (definitely not refurbished or openbox), even the pins were protruding from rear end of this SSD drive as if it was shucked from some Laptop or other machine.
Date of Manufacture on SSD was 2019, it was OK as seller was providing 1 years warranty for this item but not OK for me and I returned it.

I bought a renewed kindle. It had a different cardboard packing, but everything else was as good as new and it came with one year warranty. I was able to save 2k rs, too.

But, I would like to add in that I have had 2 monitors (one benq and one hp) over the last 5 years. Both developed dead pixel issue by 1.5 year mark and I would have been screwed if it wasn't for warranty.

The small savings is not worth the warranty loss in case of monitor. You could have gone for it, if it was a product with better reliability but monitors are infamous for developing issues.

Go with the senior members advice!

Last edited:
Renewed monitors are usually ones returned by customers because of backlight bleed or dead pixels etc, the chance of getting a monitor with no issues is very low through renewed.
But it can also be returned easily so if time isn't a problem then you can just get one and return if it isn't fine

IMO, the price difference is too neglible warrant the need to buy a refurbished product. I have never seen a refurbished product in amazon which is a great deal. I think it's just better to go for the new product along with the warranty.

That's my concern as well. Something that expensive, just buy it normally.

Renewed is like a lottery. You might get a good product, or you might get a faulty product. Is the money saved worth the headache of getting a faulty product.
Warranty alone would be convincing enough a point but there's a whole plethora of points against amazon renewed for something so expensive.

These are really great suggestions, however, will still go with the Asus Tuf 27AQL1A. My reasons are more or less nitpicking.
1. Gigabyte lacks G-Sync. However, it is a really solid display. My GPU is Nvidia so feel should not miss out on GSync.
2. The TUF is marginally better than the LG: 170Hz vs 144, 400 nits vs 350, HDR10 HDR10+ HDR400 vs only HDR10, Local dimming vs (not sure if present or not, could not find this info), speaker yes vs speaker no(agree that they are crappy but come in handy sometimes.)
The Lg does have a few things better than the TUF: slightly better color accuracy, Dp 1.4 vs Dp1.2

Gigabyte has everything the TUF does minus Gsync

For cheaper, non-delicate & stuff under 3-4k its fine to try renewed stuff but anything above that I will better off buying original even though if I have to wait for longer periods or post on Te and buy here.
If someone has an urgency to buy something thats off budget but is available as renewed then too advice will be to buy the original stuff with full warranty otherwise try your luck is all one can say! Amaon does offer some wrranty but again what if the item cnks off just after the warranty?

I was tempted to buy a laptop sometime last yr as was frustrated with frequent powercuts and wfh went to wtf in this frustration but kept calm and bought a laptop that too a touch one from Te that too for a price one can only imagine and in that budget amazon was selling renewed C2ds and i3s!

I've had some good experiences with Amazon Renewed. The products sold by them are usually brand new and with no wear and tear in my experience.

Back