Graphic Cards AMD 6000 Series buyers please read this!

Harshal

Skilled
Now, I am not against AMD or NVIDIA, but before buying any product its better to be informed about current issues which might be taken care of in future driver version or patch from game developer or worst of all ZERO and you have a product which actually is a compromise.

So please don't start flaming me as I am just trying to inform people about the situation I just got to know myself.

I found these 2 threads:

Link1
The site has some detailed info regarding the IQ and performance of newer cards from AMD.
XS Discussion
"Quality" is the new default setting, also, the render target Replacements active. We noticed at the beginning of the test show that the anisotropic filter of the HD 6800 cards compared with a Radeon HD 5870 flickers stronger. After consulting with AMD informed us that the default "quality" aggressive filtering than the previous driver standard (AI standard, where the texture filtering optimizations in the HD 5800 series have already disabled). Only the "High Quality" bring the improvements to previously unknown levels, and is similar to the previous AI standard of HD 5800 cards. The HD 6000 cards filter that is standard on the level of a HD 5000 card with AI Advanced / Advanced. AMD gives its new cards a fps advantage at the expense of image quality. Once "High quality" is activated, the AF unsightly banding disappears almost completely, the flicker is also reduced - the frame rate of course.

Also the HAWX 2 (which I think a console port with DX11) Issue.
Link
It has come to our attention that you may have received an early build of a benchmark based on the upcoming Ubisoft title H.A.W.X. 2. I'm sure you are fully aware that the timing of this benchmark is not coincidental and is an attempt by our competitor to negatively influence your reviews of the AMD Radeon™ HD 6800 series products. We suggest you do not use this benchmark at present as it has known issues with its implementation of DirectX® 11 tessellation and does not serve as a useful indicator of performance for the AMD Radeon™ HD 6800 series. A quick comparison of the performance data in H.A.W.X. 2, with tessellation on, and that of other games/benchmarks will demonstrate how unrepresentative H.A.W.X. 2 performance is of real world performance.

AMD has demonstrated to Ubisoft tessellation performance improvements that benefit all GPUs, but the developer has chosen not to implement them in the preview benchmark. For that reason, we are working on a driver-based solution in time for the final release of the game that improves performance without sacrificing image quality. In the meantime we recommend you hold off using the benchmark as it will not provide a useful measure of performance relative to other DirectX® 11 games using tessellation.

[H]ard|OCP - Benchmark Wars

All said, Those who are looking forward to buy AMD 6000 series card better wait it out before they get on to it. Mainly because AMD's Monthly Driver updates do solve some issues but they are known to create a few as well :)

Happy Diwali to you all :)

To be honest after reading that and checking few things, its pointless to compare the screenshots of ATI and Nvidia unless there are some glaring abnormalities. The renderings of 6850 and GTX 470 are greatly different. There are drastic differences in colours, textures, lighting, expodure.

You will not notice anything odd unless you see two screenshots side by side. Even then its very subjective to say which is better than the other.

H.A.W.X 2 is entirely different issue altogether.

The performance of 6800 series is simply appalling. Anyone with simple logic can see what is going on there. Everyone knows that there is something seriously wrong when 6850 is twice as slow as GTX 470. That is simple pathetic coding on the part of game developers. I mean how come there be almost 200% difference between two cards which otherwise offer more than acceptable performance in almost all other games out there.

6850 averages at about 65FPS with 10.10c and 470 averages in 130s.

HAWX 2 the rumor I read is that nvidia wanted ubi to use some crazy geometry because ati cards have poor performance there.

Ok I had benched this when HAWX 2 demo was first given out. I retested with 10.10c which I currently have in the system and performance seems to have almost doubled. Still its nowhere close to or comparable to Nvidia's counterparts. Edited the figures in original post of mine. (1920x1200, everything maxed out, 4xAA , DX11 tessellations on.)

Back