CPU/Mobo AMD Bulldozer Discussion Thread

thebanik said:
i dont know from where you got the data but latest idc report the pc cpu market revenue for 2011 at 43billion. I doubt that accounts for 1% or not, but i am sure neither intel nor amd would want to lose that share. Maybe you are talking about enthusiast segment and confused it with desktop, :d

oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is another argument in favour of BD

SB E will be horribly overpriced.. the models in the price bracket of the 2600k is a locked proccy and not unlocked as in 2600k. also its socket will be 2011 and not 1155.. LGA 2011 boards as of release will be minimum 15k and above.. Ivy bridge will be 1155 but it is expected to release around may next year.. so a pretty long wait for you if you want a ivy..

So unless you are prepared to shell out minimum 30k+ for just mobo and proccy then waiting is a useless prospect..

Now do you understand why BD is competitive... 2600k will be the best till next year ivy for mid range..

SB E is not for the average person. It is for those who are going to use the extra PCIe lanes and who need that extra performance. The average person can go with an i5; i7 if he needs more performance.

thats why i said that BD is a good option.. BD upgrade will come by jan or feb max.. it will compete with 2600k till ivy.. then ivy will be better.. but pricing of intel is always horrible initially.. so skeptical there also.. all in all BD is an upgrade path till ivy, hopefully if they can clear some bios issues..

SB E will be horribly overpriced.. the models in the price bracket of the 2600k is a locked proccy and not unlocked as in 2600k. also its socket will be 2011 and not 1155.. LGA 2011 boards as of release will be minimum 15k and above.. Ivy bridge will be 1155 but it is expected to release around may next year.. so a pretty long wait for you if you want a ivy..

So unless you are prepared to shell out minimum 30k+ for just mobo and proccy then waiting is a useless prospect..

Now do you understand why BD is competitive... 2600k will be the best till next year ivy for mid range..
Heh what over-priced? It will be a replacement for the 980X, where AMD does not have any processors. At current prices its not all competitive.

Mad shrimps has a nice article on clocking both Intel and AMD. I dont know how AMD managed to screw up BD so badly, how can a BD at 4.5ghz equal a Thuban at stocks in Super Pi, Wprime scores!!
Ouch imagine a SB at 4.5ghz it would consume round-about same power as a BD at stocks...
:
[M] AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer CPU Review

overpriced implies that although it has great power it is priced to be too expensive... same will be with sb-e.. so why should people wait for another year to upgrade in a similar price point?

Aces dude super pi really:) firstly amd suck at it.. secondly it is single threaded operation.. thirdly as i have mentioned earlier BD behaves like a 4-core with one extra fpu for each core rather than a true 8 core.. also the IIPC increases by a lot when you disable alternating cores... one question.. when you run superpi on a 2600k do you enable HT? This will answer your question:)

baccilus said:
@Aces170: Will I be able to overclock the i5 9400 with the H67 mobo. Even if the multiplier is locked, can I at least increase the FSB?

Yes you can, its a bit tougher to oc via bclk but getting it around 102-103 is sort of guaranteed with the right Ram, and even higher till like 105 is safe.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

mrcool63 said:
when you run superpi on a 2600k do you enable HT? This will answer your question:)

lol, wrong question, first you should know what you are comparing to. Yes when running 2600K enabling HT does not hit performance 1 bit. Though people might do it to drop heat output, or sometime it can help in getting a few extra Mhz, and not for performance.

im just trying to make him understand... come on banik you get the point...:) not many people bench superpi on HT right.. But thats besides the point.. Amd has always sucked at superpi.. an old archaeic elizabethean benchmark.. Why would you use it to compare?

^Buddy, SuperPi is a pretty good benchmark still. Its not giving good results with BD is another issue, and that is of BD. There is no point in saying that the benchmark is antique and all.

However, yes, it should not be considered as the end of the world for BD as suggested. BD performs well with multiple threads, however with outrageous power consumption and all.

im just trying to make him understand... come on banik you get the point... not many people bench superpi on HT right.. But thats besides the point.. Amd has always sucked at superpi.. an old archaeic elizabethean benchmark.. Why would you use it to compare?

Lol buddy, it may be old archaic, but thats a benchmark used by clockers around the world. As Banik pointed HT would result in higher thermal output hence disabled. I am not even comparing AMD to Intel there, I am comparing Thuban to a 4.5ghz BD, what was AMD really thinking when they need 4.5ghz to match their older gen chip at stocks on single threaded application.

However, yes, it should not be considered as the end of the world for BD as suggested. BD performs well with multiple threads, however with outrageous power consumption and all.

Yeah, but on selected applications only. For eg.Valve's Source engine particle simulation was a good benchmark to check multi threaded performance, but again Thuban trumps BD there

However, yes, it should not be considered as the end of the world for BD as suggested. BD performs well with multiple threads, however with outrageous power consumption and all. The reason why everyone is diss-appointed is you atleast expect a new chip to consistently out perform the older generation across all scenarios, where BD fails. But yes all is not lost, as the architecture scales well on clock speeds, and improvement per watt as promised by AMD should make Pile-driver a lil more competitive.

AMD's FX-8150 'Bulldozer' processor - The Tech Report - Page 10

actually in forums like ocn and overclockers.com there have been big threads going on pages as to why superpi is an old benchmark and why its results are meaningless when used..
Further if you still want to check i advice you to disable four cores and bench. Then you will see..

Oc'ers may use superpi when benching but it is rarely given much value compared to others like cinebench and so on....
Further still, tweaks just for superpi exist... a clean windows install will shave atleast a scond or more of the time

thebanik said:
lol, wrong question, first you should know what you are comparing to. Yes when running 2600K enabling HT does not hit performance 1 bit. Though people might do it to drop heat output, or sometime it can help in getting a few extra Mhz, and not for performance.

This is from an admin in anandtech... guess you were wrong banik:)

I get better performance on my 2600K when I disable HT as well. Unless the app is heavily threaded, then I don't.

actually in forums like ocn and overclockers.com there have been big threads going on pages as to why superpi is an old benchmark and why its results are meaningless when used..

Further if you still want to check i advice you to disable four cores and bench. Then you will see..

Oc'ers may use superpi when benching but it is rarely given much value compared to others like cinebench and so on....

Further still, tweaks just for superpi exist... a clean windows install will shave atleast a scond or more of the time

My question is why do you need to do that? You have an older architecture which performs much better per clock at single threaded applications, why not build over that?

Cinebench is the same story, 4.5ghz BD just surpasses the 1090T Thuban (Madshrimps article), I suppose 1100T would be pretty close at stocks.

This is from an admin in anandtech... guess you were wrong banik

The quote without context is meaningless. HT on Sandy Bridge is providing meaningful improvement in all multi threaded environments, infact SB iteration of HT might be the only version which actually works.

aces man the HT was in relation to superpi.. not multithreading..

also as i mentioned each core supposedly performs better than phenom cores but overall the performance is decreased because of front end bottlenecks.. that was my point. :)

and there is an entire thread at anandtech about your idea... your argument is spot on and also right. adding more cores to phenom and tweaking its iipc would have been a better idea.. actually going by the comments it should have equaled sandy... or atleast bettered BD

^^^ thats actually something I read up on yesterday and it makes a lot of sense.

Anyway as far as super pi is concerned, I agree that its a damn old benchmark, with no relevance to anything to do with modern software. In fact the instruction set itself is probably never used any more. My peeve with BD is that even though super pi scores are not relevant at this point of time, they do show that the BD cores are not up to par even with the older Phenom II generation. If it performed similar to Ph II core to core, then I think BD would not have gotten this much of flack.

Anyway as far as super pi is concerned, I agree that its a damn old benchmark, with no relevance to anything to do with modern software. In fact the instruction set itself is probably never used any more. My peeve with BD is that even though super pi scores are not relevant at this point of time, they do show that the BD cores are not up to par even with the older Phenom II generation. If it performed similar to Ph II core to core, then I think BD would not have gotten this much of flack.

Exactly what I am trying to put forth...

Back