PC Peripherals AMD: DDR500 - DDR2

JediMaster

Disciple
Alright, CoolTechZone has been dishing out these reports in recent times about AMD's plans for DDR500 and (lack of it) for DDR2. As the site probably hints, they are prolly just speculations; TBH this is the first time I'm getting to browse that site. If you come across anything to corroborate or contradict these info, it will be interesting/useful ... to some extent for those planning to buy expensive (high speed) memory now ... :p

PS: The forum title doesn't seem to like all "caps" words !!!

Industry Insider Report: AMD May Skip DDR2 Altogether
http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1196
In our Industry Insider Report from yesterday, we pointed out that DDR2 would take some time to mature in the market until AMD adopts the standard. This is certainly the case in the enthusiast market; AMD is the force behind DDR and will remain that way until it adopts a newer standard. However, a recent discussion with an industry source seems to hint otherwise. Although such information is never set in stone, educated speculations from industry insiders usually tend to be somewhere close to the final plans of a particular company.

According to the source, AMD has other plans with DDR and the company will possibly make advancements in this sector. The source also said that AMD might be going its own way by not following Intel with their DDR2 implementations. Instead, the world’s second largest chipmaker may go straight to DDR3 or XDR in hopes of adopting a better architecture. You see, DDR2 was a poor design to begin with, but considering that Intel has been making quite a few mistakes after its Prescott and i915/i925 launch, no one should be surprised.

Industry Insider Report: AMD to Adopt DDR500 Officially
http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1210
Up until today, DDR400 has been the official memory standard for majority of the platforms, but Intel made the change to DDR2, and now it’s AMD’s turn to make a change to their platform. According to an insider source, AMD has plans to adopt DDR500 as its official memory standard in the very near future.

Amd will adopt DDR2 or its variants like DDR3 etc. as soon as they develop the necessary technology to integrate that memory controller in their cpu. but i guess ddr3 will be too premature now since those memory are presently used in graphics boards and are very costly. whatever route they decide to take i hope they do it asap. since DDR has nearly reached its limits. and if we are to utilise the enormous computing power of >4+ ghz cpu's we need better memory, meaning faster and low latency ones, to take advantage of all that cpu power.
Dual core + low latency ddr2 integrated memory controller amd64 cpu's ..............(the stuff the dreams are made of):cool2: :eek:hyeah:
Edit: oops forgot to add the tentative date ....how about H2 2006.

Yep, DDR3 is a long way away before becoming mature enough for the desktop and a lot needs to be done as per the pricing as well. Would be great if DDR2 could be skipped, but DDR3 would need to be rapidly accelerated for that to happen. So unfortunately looks like they just might have to go with the flow as per DDR2.
On the other hand if they carry on sticking with DDR and adopt a higher standard like DDR500, doesnt look all too bad at all :)

@deejay: The A64 in its present form doesnt look to be bandwidth starved at all, why the need for DDR2?

JediMaster said:
PS: The forum title doesn't seem to like all "caps" words !!!
Took my shot at renaming the thread title with CAPS and it seems to stay :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@ crazy eddy: its not the present form i was refering to. it is applicable to the near future.
ps: i wonder if any of you have noticed this but the life of soc754, and even a winnie cpu were certainly very short lived. (since the venice would be priced the same as winnie.....)
i hope some sort of stability comes in this cpu war between intel and amd.
Why cant they introduce 1 new cpu architecture every alternate year. constant upgrading is ruining many enthusiasts bank balance (incl. mine).:O :no: ............;):eek:hyeah:

^^ Haha, and mine too :eek:hyeah:
Quite true about Socket 754, looks like even Socket A could outlive it! (People are still buying socket A semprons as budget machines) But nonetheless, its good to consolidate everything onto one platform and not leave people asking - which one? socket 754 or 939?
The Winnie in my opinion looked like an experiment by AMD as in something for them to toy with/refine the 90nm architecture and in the process gather the trust of the enthusiast OC'ing community :)

deejay said:
ps: i wonder if any of you have noticed this but the life of soc754, and even a winnie cpu were certainly very short lived. (since the venice would be priced the same as winnie.....)

It's very funny and coincidental that you should mention that about the Winnie - Eddy and I had a conversation very recently with similar thoughts - that's one reason why I'd prefer people to go Venice rather Winnie if they have a good chance now - With the Winnies AMD was prolly testing the water as Eddy said and some of the mem controllers have had issues apparently.

OK ! But I'm beginning to think that this rumored shift to DDR500 may have some credence judging by the way in which OCZ (& co) have been slashing the prices of their TCCD RAMS. Believe it or not ! The EL Plat Rev 2 has dropped another $5 from its much advertised month end special. That's nearly $75 drop in less than a month prolly.

So, there obviously will be some concern for peeps who are trying to buy expensive RAM now and hope to salvage something for their next upgrade, should the shift to DDR500 become a reality very soon, and if it precedes and persists for sometime before the DDR2 oncoming. So, the (hypothetical) question is: just go with creamy PC3200 or less-than-creamy mid-range PC4000 ? Looks like the mobo could be salvaged with a BIOS update !?!

Surely, the EL Plat looks very tempting.... !!!

FYI: OK ! This is AMD's official stance on DDR2 (dated April 30) , in reply to the above speculation - just in case folks didn't catch it !

AMD Athlon 64 Revision F to Support DDR2 in 2006.
AMD Processors for Socket M2 to Sport DDR2 SDRAM

Advanced Micro Devices recently confirmed its commitment to DDR2 memory, whereas some web-sites revealed particular plans for the technology. Apparently, the first processors from with AMD with DDR2 support will be out next year and will be designed to fit into new Socket M2.

AMD to Support DDR2 For Sure – AMD, Sources

“AMD has stated that we will support DDR2 and we haven’t changed that position,†an AMD spokesman said commenting the rumour about possible skip of DDR2 by Advanced Micro Devices.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050430084624.html

Yes deejay, I did see your edit :) . But this was for people, moi included, who didn't get to read the official AMD stance that DDR2 is on the cards, in reply to the earlier speculations, earlier in this thread and in others elsewhere here, that DDR2 may be skipped by AMD.

And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that particular official reply/xbitlabs link hasn't been posted here before, and I think it is important since it comes as a re-enforcement of AMD's commitment to DDR2 in face of the recent speculations implying otherwise.

To me actually it helps - either DDR400 / DDR500 goes, since come next year DDR2 will entail some serious upgradation anyways.

JediMaster said:
Yes deejay, I did see your edit :) . But this was for people, moi included, who didn't get to read the official AMD stance that DDR2 is on the cards, in reply to the earlier speculations, earlier in this thread and in others elsewhere here, that DDR2 may be skipped by AMD.
And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that particular official reply/xbitlabs link hasn't been posted here before, and I think it is important since it comes as a re-enforcement of AMD's commitment to DDR2 in face of the recent speculations implying otherwise.
To me actually it helps - either DDR400 / DDR500 goes, since come next year DDR2 will entail some serious upgradation anyways.
mind translating the above in "English".:D
I was only pointing out the benefit of "educated guess" with a little insider info. (though i am not that educated)
What makes you think otherwise or whether it has been posted here or not.:huh: . that was not my intentions mon ami.

^^An educated guess from you is good enough ;) ! The intention certainly wasn't to second-guess you :cool2: .

But back to the topic, whether AMD will do a DDR2 or NOT (debated again) has apparently raised some concern in the past few weeks. This pcperspective article pretty much summarizes the concerns (AMD's reply showed up subsequently):

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=132

We're talking about a company's long term policy decision here especially one that has been debated quite vehemently and, as you added, might stand well to be authenticated with a "little insider" info or words straight from the horse's mouth.

That's all there's to it :) !

Back