AMD- Driver timeout error/crash

Hi, recently got a 5600g from a forum member a couple of days back, but it seems that it randomly flickers and black screens and gives an error that says "a driver time out was detected". Starting up a game (even less demanding ones) is sure to trigger the issue within a few minutes. Without gaming, on the desktop, the issue is less frequent and what seems to trigger it is manipulating windows, especially fancy windows like the AMD adrenalin software which looks a bit translucent or say opening a new tab on chrome or such things. Sometimes when I get the error it flickers,blackscreens and displays an error message - example .. sometimes it just blackscreens and doesn't recover and I have to manually reset.
Been using the same system with a Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 1070 without problems for around 5-6 years (Mobo changed around 2021) , until the 1070 went bust and couldn't do much else other than basic display out, which is why I got the 5600g. (mobo is asus exa320m, updated to latest bios)

Found this thread on reddit- trying to troubleshoot with it now Things I have tried,
OS- Tried with Current install, Fresh latest windows 10 install, Linux(fedora)/steam - issue persists
BIOS- on latest bios version (will try changing to the first bios version that supported 5600g)
RAM- tried each stick invidually, tried 2 brands
Drivers- Tried with latest Graphics and chipset drivers, did a clean uninstall with DDU and tried some versions recommended in some reddit threads, no change.
MPO= tried turning off, but no change, maybe worsened the issue
Reset shader cache
Disabled fast startup, hardware acceleration on chrome

To try:
Increase TDR timer
3rd party driver
Undervolting

Anybody else with AMD APU, GPU experienced this issue?

Like I said, its a fresh install, bought from a forum member, received on 13th I think.
temps are fine, Idles around 40-44, on gaming igpu highest igpu went was around 60s, and cpu around 70s

Hi, recently got a 5600g from a forum member a couple of days back, but it seems that it randomly flickers and black screens and gives an error that says "a driver time out was detected". Starting up a game (even less demanding ones) is sure to trigger the issue within a few minutes. Without gaming, on the desktop, the issue is less frequent and what seems to trigger it is manipulating windows, especially fancy windows like the AMD adrenalin software which looks a bit translucent or say opening a new tab on chrome or such things. Sometimes when I get the error it flickers,blackscreens and displays an error message - example .. sometimes it just blackscreens and doesn't recover and I have to manually reset.
Been using the same system with a Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 1070 without problems for around 5-6 years (Mobo changed around 2021) , until the 1070 went bust and couldn't do much else other than basic display out, which is why I got the 5600g. (mobo is asus exa320m, updated to latest bios)

Found this thread on reddit- trying to troubleshoot with it now Things I have tried,
OS- Tried with Current install, Fresh latest windows 10 install, Linux(fedora)/steam - issue persists
BIOS- on latest bios version (will try changing to the first bios version that supported 5600g)
RAM- tried each stick invidually, tried 2 brands
Drivers- Tried with latest Graphics and chipset drivers, did a clean uninstall with DDU and tried some versions recommended in some reddit threads, no change.
MPO= tried turning off, but no change, maybe worsened the issue
Reset shader cache
Disabled fast startup, hardware acceleration on chrome

To try:
Increase TDR timer
3rd party driver
Undervolting

Anybody else with AMD APU, GPU experienced this issue?
Have you checked with the ex-user if he sold it due to the same issue and that he didn't revealed it..

OP, from whom you bought? if from this forum only, than better you quote that seller here in this thread so he can help you more in this thread with help of other members too.

@nRiTeCh @Emperor
This is the sale thread - Thread
I had talked with seller about this issue, I have no reason to think he would intentionally mislead, he mentioned that he was using an nVidia GPU with it and not relying on the APU's iGPU for video output, so that could be the reason why he didn't experience any errors. Credit where its due, Seller is polite and the processor was well packed, and has given a 7 day testing warranty, seller had missed to ship the stock cooler, but said he would ship by today, but because of this issue I have asked him not to ship until I'm sure its fixable. (currently using the stock cooler of my r5 1600, no temp issues). He did mention in the item description that he had undervolted it, i had asked about it via PM, but he had said that it works fine at stock settings.

Last edited:
how old your montherboard Battery? is it same that arrived with board or when you replaced it last time?
I have had old battery issue, that hampered Display via iGPU but after replacing old battery with new DURACELL 2032 Battery (MRP Rs.40/-), problem solved.

Old as the motherboard, have a new nonbranded one somewhere, will try that I guess.
Tried:
3rd party amd drivers (Radeon id)- no change
Older bios versions- no change
Tried different settings for dedicated igpu mem in bios- auto,512,1gb,2gb - no change
New panasonic cmos battery- no change
Increase TDR to 60s as mentioned in the reddit post- only change is that the frozen screen persists for more time before the error message pops up

to try- undervolt
Also tried some more driver versions and another linux distro- bazzite

Last edited:
Did you clean install windows after replacing old Processor with new 5600G
Also, try to get Windows installation directly from MS website and not from any other trusted source.
Is there any software, you need to install from your Mobo vendor, that help communication between Board & Processor.
Is your Board up to date with all latest released drivers from Board manufacturer.

Check above and see if problem get solved

Yes, tried clean installs of both windows (official windows media creation tool) and linux. Currently have 2 windows and 2 linux distros in my system, testing on all of them.
Have tried muliple bios versions, including latest. the first one that supported the processor, and one in between.

Drivers- I have tried multiple versions, after uninstalling previous ones with DDU in safe mode. Both with and without amd software/adrenaline. I also tried 3rd party amd drivers- https://www.amernimezone.com/

Tried latest chipset and graphics drivers listed on the board support page of ASus and from AMD as well.

The changing drivers and Os stuff were the first things I did as part of the troubleshooting.

I might have found a fix, turning on DOCP (XMP) in the bios, sets ram speed to 3200 Mhz, it seems to be stable. When I go back to default ram speeds -2133MHz , it starts crashing like before.
In the 2 days or so since I turned it on, I got the driver timeout error only once, but one time when I turned the computer on, bios gave the GPU error beeps -one long beep and three short, but I just reset the ram speed to default (2133Mhz), then again turned back DOCP (3200Mhz)

Bit confused because in some reddit threads, some people needed to turn off DOCP/XMP to fix their crashes.

Check your processor pins using a magnifying glass & make sure the cooler is making correct contact with processor by checking stock cooler 4 corner screws are evenly tightened.

Back