CPU/Mobo AMD drops processor prices by 47%!!

PoBoy

Skilled
DailyTech
Value pricing on all AMD products

AMD has officially cut prices on its product lineup. The price cuts are in line of what DailyTech previously reported. AMD’s flagship Athlon 64 FX-62 has dropped down to $827 while the high-end Athlon 64 X2 5000+ is priced at a more affordable $310. Also previously reported, the Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and 4800+ for Socket 939 and AM2 platforms have been discontinued. This leaves AMD with 11 dual-core products.

AMD’s single-core product lineup is left with seven models with the Athlon 64 3800+, 3500+ and 3200+ in Socket AM2, 939 and energy efficient configurations. Most of the Sempron desktop lineup has fallen below the $100 mark, with the exception of the Sempron 3600+ which is $101.

This will be AMD’s only desktop price cut for the next couple of months.

While most Sempron processors and all regular single-core Athlons are now priced well below the critical $100 mark - the Sempron 2800 model sells for $52 - the focus of the price reductions are clearly the socket AM2 products which already determine AMD's desktop product portfolio. A look into the new price list reveals that Intel's Core 2 Duo processor has forced AMD to give up its previous solid standing in the upper-end mainstream market and open up a huge price gap between the high-end FX-62 processor - now priced at $860 - and the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ model, which currently is AMD's fastest mainstream processor and now sells for $312.
Compared to the rumored price drops of the past week, the 7/24/2006 price list, AMD may have made last minute changes and applied a more conservative price reduction model. While the decrease is substantial across the board, the reductions may not be enough to enable AMD to claim an overall price-performance leadership. According to findings published by TG Daily last week and according to a price list we received from Israel today, especially the 4200+, 4600+ and FX-62 models do not achieve this goal. For example, the 4200+ model would have to be priced below $213, but is indicated to sell for $225. The gap widens with the 4600+ version (below $241 required, actual price $290) and may raise eyebrows with the FX-62, which now sells for $860, but would need a price tag below $425 to achieve a price-performance leadership position over Intel's Core 2 Duo processor.

While we have to wait for an official U.S. price list some AMD processors appear to represent a great value, especially the X2 3800+ and X2 5000+ models. It is obvious that AMD will face a dramatic drop in average processor pricing at least over the next two quarters and it remains to be seen, if the new price points will result in enough additional sales to make up for the reductions.

The new price list :

Source : AMD drops desktop processor prices by 47% | TG Daily

jus came frm lamington road(mumbai)...no price fall yet........am2 not yet available.......

also the dealer was trying to stick amd 4200+ x2 along wih some asus board.....for 19k............

if its taking this long for am2 then i suspect core2duo will be here only by mid september.btw is anyone from te actually going for am2 platform?

Heyy guys i have a question... here am2 5000+ available at 416chf and core 2 duo E6600 is available at 450chf.... And the performance diff in the two is not so much then y is everyone soo excited abt core 2 duo :huh: :huh:

Imagine said:
Heyy guys i have a question... here am2 5000+ available at 416chf and core 2 duo E6600 is available at 450chf.... And the performance diff in the two is not so much then y is everyone soo excited abt core 2 duo :huh: :huh:
i think it has to do with the ability of core2duo processors to overclock to speeds above 3ghz with ease. while the amd platform goes to 3 ghz with some difficulty. also clock per clock the core2 ones perform faster.And finally its performance per watt too.

Imagine said:

Well, I guess everything is relative...:)

Check out this link.

Graphic1.png

The figure there shows the relative CPU performance of various processors in terms of the performance of an Athlon 64 X2 3800+.

The difference might not be "so much" for you; it is for you to decide exactly how much is enough to get the E6600 over the $312 5000+.

Also keep in mind that the E6600 consumes less power, is much more overclockable than the 5000+, and that it performs very well even with cheaper inexpensive memory.

^ Not so much? An E6600 @ 2.4Ghz topples an FX-62 @ 2.8Ghz in almost every benchmark.

The main reason everyone's excited though is the overclocking headroom in the Core 2 Duo chips: An A64 on its current 90nm based manufacturing process is reaching its limits and usually maxes out at 3Ghz with decent air cooling. The initial Core 2 Duo samples however are averaging overclocks to around 3.8Ghz and above on similar air cooling.

Edit: Everyone beat me to it :lol:

Back