Budget 51-70k AMD Gaming PC

Best Gaming CPU

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bssunilreddy

Skilled
Hi,

1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Core i5 3570k
    • Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    • GPU - Sapphire HD 7850 2GB
    • Monitor - Dell ST2220L
    • SMPS - Corsair GS600
    • HDD - WD Black 1TB
    • Case - Corsair 400R
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz
    • Cooler - CM Hyper 212 Evo
    • DVD-RW - Asus 24B3ST
    • Fans - CM 2 Red LED 120mm Fans
    • KB - MS Sidewinder X6
    • Mouse - Logitech G400
    • Speakers - Logitech Z313
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell ST2220L
    • KB - MS Sidewinder X6
    • Mouse - Logitech G400
    • Speakers - Logitech Z313
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - AMD FX 8350
    • Motherboard - Asus M5A97 R2.0
    • GPU - Asus HD7770 2GB DDR5
    • SSD - Corsair Force GT 240 GB
    • SMPS - Seasonic X660
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance BLUE 8GB 1600MHz
    • Cooler - Corsair H60
    • Case - Corsair 300R
    • Fans - CM 140mm 4 BLUE LED Fans
    • DVD-RW - Asus 24B5ST
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes / No
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Hyderabad
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • HTPC
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Do not want to buy Gigabyte & MSI companies products as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 4.
    • Racing - Grid3, Dirt3, NFS - Most Wanted, NFS - Run.
    • Shooting - BF3, Crysis3, Deadspace3.
    • RPG - Tomb Raider, Witcher 2.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920*1080
    2. Desktop - 1920*1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Linux - Ubuntu 11

For gaming currently Core i5 3570K is the better CPU. That said, FX-8350 is doing rather well in forward looking games like Crysis 3 and once next-gen games come streaming in I won't be surprised if FX-8350 at least matches if not outperforms the i5. Also, for many non-gaming multi-threaded usage, FX-8350 is way faster. It is even faster than Core i7 3770K if you give it something that will max out all 8 threads. But since you are using it mostly for gaming, best go for the i5 3570K.

@bbsunil

Instead of using older chipset with 8350, use either:
ASUS M5A99FX PRO 11.2k
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 14.5k

If you wanted to see Gigabyte, have a look at below (no harm in checking and comparing the specs):
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 11.8k
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 15.2k

@bbsunil

Instead of using older chipset with 8350, use either:
ASUS M5A99FX PRO 11.2k
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 14.5k

If you wanted to see Gigabyte, have a look at below (no harm in checking and comparing the specs):
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 11.8k
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 15.2k

I don't have such budget, I will stick with older chipset only because I need to change GPU or CPU if I ever need to change or upgrade.

your are having ivy bridge set up already ? i am confused, you have 7850 u want to go for 7770 ?

have you filled it correctly ? is it second system ?

if you have ivy bridge, why don't you upgrade to 3770k ?

Let me repeat the above question, why are you doing this? Unless you are in desperate need of cash, your current setup is much better than the rig you are planning. I see the logic of the PCU and the SSD and those are definite upgrades, but the GPU is a very heavy slide and you can pretty much forget playing any game at 1920x with anything more than low/medium detail, the 7950 OTOH is perfectly capable of doing this.

We'll talk about CPU later - CPU is a very small part of overall day-to-day performance. Want to get your reasons first.

Let me repeat the above question, why are you doing this? Unless you are in desperate need of cash, your current setup is much better than the rig you are planning. I see the logic of the PCU and the SSD and those are definite upgrades, but the GPU is a very heavy slide and you can pretty much forget playing any game at 1920x with anything more than low/medium detail, the 7950 OTOH is perfectly capable of doing this.

We'll talk about CPU later - CPU is a very small part of overall day-to-day performance. Want to get your reasons first.

I want a system that can handle Oracle9 and Informatica 11 as my wife just joined Infosys and she needs to practice her projects on this AMD RIG. My need is heavily CPU dependent than GPU that's why I want to sell the existing setup and buy a new one.[DOUBLEPOST=1363528423][/DOUBLEPOST]
your are having ivy bridge set up already ? i am confused, you have 7850 u want to go for 7770 ?

have you filled it correctly ? is it second system ?

if you have ivy bridge, why don't you upgrade to 3770k ?

I correctly filled it up and now my need is application oriented multi-threaded tasks than GPU dependent games. That's why I intend to sell of my present RIG and buy a AMD based RIG.

Got that, and it's an understandable reason. That would have helped a lot of people understand why, and prevented all the '3570k>>>8350' posts.

I would think about a GPU upgrade if possible might help get your newer PC at least reach the level of your current rig. It is very frustrating to get a new computer that feels slower at times than the one you had. Just keeping your current GPU and not changing it at all would be a good decision.

Another way to look at it would be to get a 3770 or 3770K, and sell off your 3570. The Quad core + HT with the Intel would at least reach the performance level of the 8350 and better it in most cases with CPU-intensive applications. However you shouldn't miss out on the upgrade to the SSD and the PSU either.

Since this is a tough one, how much cash do you really have to blow on this venture? Not the PC budget, but the total outlay (I'm assuming you budgeted for an inflow from selling your current PC, so if that were to not be there any more, how much hard cash we talking)?

Your poll states best gaming cpu :confused: ?

Seeing your requirements, a smart decision would be to keep all your existing components and only sell your current proc and upgrade to 3770k.

On what basis did you arrive that AMD processor will be better ? can you please share with us, any specifics ?

Your poll states best gaming cpu :confused: ?

Seeing your requirements, a smart decision would be to keep all your existing components and only sell your current proc and upgrade to 3770k.

On what basis did you arrive that AMD processor will be better ? can you please share with us, any specifics ?

Yes man mostly prefer gaming na so my poll states best gaming CPU, anyways most are considering AMD over Intel na. Upgrading to 3770k is not at all recommended here because AMD is much more application oriented CPU than Intel when we compare it in Photoshop, Auto-CAD, Oracle, VM's etc. So I preferred an AMD FX 8350 over Intel. Also AMD upgrading is cheaper na.

Intel CPU+MB =14,000+10500=24,500.
AMD CPU+MB=11,400+8300=19,700.

Which is cheaper in the above setup's? You decide!

I'm confused, why do you need a new mobo if you upgrade your Intel CPU?

Look the 3770k is not slower than the FX-8350 unless you run a very heavily threaded application for every second the computer is switched on, and even then the Intel has better power efficiency than AMD. I would normally not dissuade you from buying an AMD rig as enough people here know that I prefer that brand for overall cost-performance ratio - and the 8350 is great for people looking to come from below the ladder, with excellent CPU performance and a lower platform cost than Intel. You however have a very capable rig today and it seems that you are trying to go backwards by spending money.

It just appears to me that you are not looking at the overall picture, and that overall picture tells me that upgrading your CPU (if at all required) is probably the most cost-effective option and one that does not require killing your graphics performance. 7770 to 7950 is a 3x performance difference and I don't see why you would want to do that to yourself, even if you don't use all of it.

Again, to me the best option would be to change your CPU and add a SSD (please not the Corsair GT or any other Sandforce drive). If you still have some cash left over the Seasonic X660 is a great future-proof buy. At the end of the day it's your call but I think you're thinking about things the wrong way.

Good Luck.

This is INDEED one of the most interesting "upgrade requests" that I've seen in a long while.:banghead:

And whilst we can continue debating endlessly over the Quadcore 3770k vs the Octacore 8350 - which is better suited for the given tasks that OP's wife wants to use it for ! Let's take a break (from all this, albeit for a short while)

This is what I would suggest - an excercise (which would take 2-3 weeks) keeping in mind OP's need -
I want a system that can handle Oracle9 and Informatica 11 as my wife just joined Infosys and she needs to practice her projects on this AMD RIG
1. Ask her to check & note down the config's of the systems where she works [using the above apps]? If they are using dual proc workstations - note that down too o_O
2. Post this querry at Infosys's inhouse & specific project based teams - mail them.
What is the feedback of those folks - which is better Intel or AMD ?
3. Meanwhile let your wife continue working on your existing RIG and ask her to observe the difference (if any)

I do not see any other way in which to solve this issue [unless we have someone over here who is familiar with OP's apps & used it on both AMD & Intel RIG's].

A real-world feedback & experience would make all that difference.
Cheers
Terry

Note: If this makes sense - then we would appreciate if you share the feedback with us. meanwhile - I second @cranky suggestion - add an SSD

If you are 100% clear now about your objectives, then I would suggest you to change the title of your thread (as now Gaming is no longer a priority).

An Afterthought - If you sell your existing RIG then expect at least an 25% reduction in the price or more (and this still does not make any sense to me) ..... as all you may ever have to do is keep some & sell the rest (cpu + motherboard + cooler). You will have to juggle these logistics too.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is INDEED one of the most interesting "upgrade requests" that I've seen in a long while.:banghead:

And whilst we can continue debating endlessly over the Quadcore 3770k vs the Octacore 8350 - which is better suited for the given tasks that OP's wife wants to use it for ! Let's take a break (from all this, albeit for a short while)

This is what I would suggest - an excercise (which would take 2-3 weeks) keeping in mind OP's need -

1. Ask her to check & note down the config's of the systems where she works [using the above apps]? If they are using dual proc workstations - note that down too o_O
2. Post this querry at Infosys's inhouse & specific project based teams - mail them.
What is the feedback of those folks - which is better Intel or AMD ?
3. Meanwhile let your wife continue working on your existing RIG and ask her to observe the difference (if any)

I do not see any other way in which to solve this issue [unless we have someone over here who is familiar with OP's apps & used it on both AMD & Intel RIG's].

A real-world feedback & experience would make all that difference.
Cheers
Terry

Note: If this makes sense - then we would appreciate if you share the feedback with us. meanwhile - I second @cranky suggestion - add an SSD

If you are 100% clear now about your objectives, then I would suggest you to change the title of your thread (as now Gaming is no longer a priority).

An Afterthought - If you sell your existing RIG then expect at least an 25% reduction in the price or more (and this still does not make any sense to me) ..... as all you may ever have to do is keep some & sell the rest (cpu + motherboard + cooler). You will have to juggle these logistics too.

Answers to the above:
1. My wife noted that her system config in Infosys as Quad Core AMD CPU's with 4GB RAM and 7750 GPU,
2. Infosys Mod said that AMD is always better than Intel price-wise as well as Performance-wise,
3. My wife is working on my existing Core i5 3570k Rig and is finding it difficult to work with and now wants to move over to AMD Quad CPU.[DOUBLEPOST=1364354139][/DOUBLEPOST]I have decided upon the following config:

AMD FX 8350 -11000,
Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 -7000,
Gigabyte HD7770 1GB -7800,
Asus 24B5ST DVDRW -1000,
Seasonic X660 -7600,
Intel 335 240GB SSD -11500,
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz -3800,
Corsair H60 Cooler -3700,
Corsair 300R -3900,
CM 140mm 4 BLUE LED Fans -2200.
TOTAL -59,500.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go bro..... You are on the right path.

Just a few suggestions
1. Change Cabinet to Corsair 400R (or 500R) as this has better cooling, ventilation and other capabilities and no need to go for those extra CM fans
- see a comparison of all three
2. SSD - The OCZ Vertex 4 256GB is way better than Intel's 335 series (unless you otherwise go for Intel 520 series - which is a lot more expensive)

Answers to the above:
1. My wife noted that her system config in Infosys as Quad Core AMD CPU's with 4GB RAM and 7750 GPU,
2. Infosys Mod said that AMD is always better than Intel price-wise as well as Performance-wise,
3. My wife is working on my existing Core i5 3570k Rig and is finding it difficult to work with and now wants to move over to AMD Quad CPU.[DOUBLEPOST=1364354139][/DOUBLEPOST]I have decided upon the following config:

AMD FX 8350 -11000,
Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 -7000,
Gigabyte HD7770 1GB -7800,
Asus 24B5ST DVDRW -1000,
Seasonic X660 -7600,
Intel 335 240GB SSD -11500,
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz -3800,
Corsair H60 Cooler -3700,
Corsair 300R -3900,
CM 140mm 4 BLUE LED Fans -2200.
TOTAL -59,500.

Great configuration buddy. Just wanted to know where u got the prices from. The lowest price on the processor I found was 11800 in Mumbai

I think the OP means to say that Oracle 11gR2 and Informatica 9 servers will be set up on this machine PURELY FOR PRACTICE .Two years back i installed Oracle 10g and Informatica 8.6 for practice on my rig the details of which are given below and the proccy is a far cry from the 3570K but still it served me adequately for practice.

BTW what is the DW size that your wife is looking at.If is it only for project practice I guess it will top out at max 500 MB for the source data which your rig will handle adequately.(I doubt that you can exceed that with sample data for practice>after all how much manual inserts for the source practice data can one do. ;) )[DOUBLEPOST=1364492983][/DOUBLEPOST]On another note where are you procuring Informatica 9 from???

I think the OP means to say that Oracle 11gR2 and Informatica 9 servers will be set up on this machine PURELY FOR PRACTICE .Two years back i installed Oracle 10g and Informatica 8.6 for practice on my rig the details of which are given below and the proccy is a far cry from the 3570K but still it served me adequately for practice.

BTW what is the DW size that your wife is looking at.If is it only for project practice I guess it will top out at max 500 MB for the source data which your rig will handle adequately.(I doubt that you can exceed that with sample data for practice>after all how much manual inserts for the source practice data can one do. ;) )[DOUBLEPOST=1364492983][/DOUBLEPOST]On another note where are you procuring Informatica 9 from???

As she works at the Infosys she gets real time projects details which she can work on a laptop given to her or she can work on her own PC but with some restrictions. The CCD guys(Infosys Software Installation guys) shall instal their registered software but we can't even plug in a USB into it. So I am planning to use VM for browsing purposes. Its like working from home but on your own PC. Some options in the OS don't work for the user as it is restricted to check on the serial keys for both the OS and the Applications as well.

So you mean to say that a VM will be installed on your home machine and she will be connecting to the Infy Informatica respository and oracleDB over VPN from the VM image???

In other words you need to install CLIENTS AND NOT SERVERS on your home machine????

If that is the case then you have even less worries as I have been using the clients of both Oracle and Informatica on my Thinkpad(i5-540M) for a pretty long time now.They will be a bit slow but that is only due to the VPN speed.The clients in themselves are not very heavy.

So you mean to say that a VM will be installed on your home machine and she will be connecting to the Infy Informatica respository and oracleDB over VPN from the VM image???

In other words you need to install CLIENTS AND NOT SERVERS on your home machine????

If that is the case then you have even less worries as I have been using the clients of both Oracle and Informatica on my Thinkpad(i5-540M) for a pretty long time now.They will be a bit slow but that is only due to the VPN speed.The clients in themselves are not very heavy.
I will be installing servers for work and I will be using VM for other personal activities.

Back