Graphic Cards AMD HD7XXX Discussion Thread

GUYS GUYS! BIG NEWS!!!!

AMD Pulls Radeon HD 7970 Launch to December 22

In a surprising move, AMD pulled the launch date of Radeon HD 7970, a high-performance single-GPU graphics card based on the 28 nm Tahiti silicon, up to December 22, 2011; from its earlier launch date of January 09, 2012. The January date was a lot more than speculation, as older presentation slides from AMD to distributors and retailers talked specifically about it. The move to pull December 22 (next Thursday) spices things up in the run up for CES. First, it gives AIB partners full freedom to show off their custom-design graphics cards at the event, along with full details about GPU specifications and clock speeds.

According to a VR-Zone report, Radeon HD 7970 will launch on December 22, 2011, this will be the day you will be able to read reviews of the card (at least the AMD reference design board), online. It will be a limited launch (read: paper-launch), but one can expect "full" retail availability of the card by January 09. Another interesting bit of information is concerning the Radeon HD 7950. This card will be available in non-reference board designs from day one, it will however launch on January 09.

AMD Pulls Radeon HD 7970 Launch to December 22 | techPowerUp

157jg9x.jpg

The "leaked" slide states the 7970 will have a peak power draw of 300 W and an idle draw of 3 W.

Radeon HD 7970 Raw Specs Leaked | techPowerUp

MORE NEWS:

AMD Radeon HD 7970 Reference Board Design Detailed, Single Slot Capable - Finally! | techPowerUp

With the launch of the Radeon HD 7970 now brought forward to December 22, more info regarding this card showed up on the Web which covers the graphics card’s overclocking and cooling performance as well as its video output options.

All the info was taken from AMD’s media presentation for the Radeon HD 7970 which was partially published by Donanim Haber just a few hours ago.

Taking a look at the reference design of the card, the first thing that one notices is that AMD has chosen to keep the black and red color scheme used for their previous Radeon cards, although this time has opted for a more curvy design.

However, the plastic shroud covering the card isn’t the only thing that was changed as a series of modifications were also brought to the video output layout and cooling assembly.

The latter has now received a next-generation vapor chamber as well as a new blower fan that is said to deliver higher airflow while also offering improved acoustics and performance.

As far as the video outputs are concerned, these have now all been arranged in the confines of a single expansion slot, a feature that was requested by many enthusiasts since this makes the HD 7970 single-slot compliant when used together with a single-slot full-coverage water block.

The outputs available were also changed as the graphics card now comes with one DVI, one HDMI, and two mini-DisplayPort connectors, while all AIB partners are required to bundle their cards with HDMI-to-DVI dongles, and active mini-DP dongles.

More AMD Radeon HD 7970 Details Emerge - Softpedia

Looks like a slide showing the tessellation performance of the long-awaited AMD Radeon HD 7970 graphics card has finally appeared.

According to it, the card loads better than the Radeon HD 6970 in pretty much every instance particularly the games S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat and Crysis 2.

The Unigine Heaven benchmark difference goes ahead and beats the above comparisons by quite a bit too.

All in all, AMD is suggesting that the Radeon HD 7970 is about 50% better than its predecessor.

We suppose a faster GPU would indeed return a visible performance rise, but we don't know what to think about the 50% figure.

Not that we wouldn't like to see such a boost, far from it, but these are, in the end, AMD's own slides, so we'll go ahead and wait until we can see some more in-depth benchmarking results.

AMD Radeon HD 7970 Tessellation Performance Apparently Huge - Softpedia

Looks like the performance is close to 6990 or a little less than that. But hopefully power and noise are a lot lesser compared to it.

Leaked benches are looking Excellent,single gpu is putting up the performance of the sli,waiting for the release!:batman:

...this is looking really nice. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Hopefully one of these single core would be enough for U3011 and Quad-HD gaming :).

Here's what I had dreamed about HD7970 specs to be:

- 2048 GCN cores(yes I did!)

- 256-bit memory

- 2GB GDDR5 @ 7GHz

- About ~4.2 Billion transistors(dunno, just like that!)

These had popped in my head the first time I heard about GCN and fantasizing about HD7970(LOL).

Not too far off!

...IMO AMDATi will have a great year with these newer chips, esp. if they are gonna be released like a year before nVidia can deiver their flagship/High-end 28nm parts, which nVidia is expected to release towards the end of 2012, with their GK110 or GK112, or even into 2012.

AMDAti will have almost 6-8 months of the Fastest GPU crown for most of 2012, if not all, if it delivers what is expected out of the ATi 7XXX.

IMO, it is not a wise move by nVidia to deliver a budget/mainstream first and then the flagship, but I guess nVidia marketing knows something I don't.

I was really thinking about buying Nvidia for my upgrade this summer but now looking at the idle power statistics for the hd 7970...i think unless Nvidia delivers with both power efficiency and performance I might have to stick with AMD.

I feel Nvidia will match the performance but they might just create a power hungry furnace in the process.Engineers at Nvidia are definitely feeling the heat right now :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Infected said:
IMO, it is not a wise move by nVidia to deliver a budget/mainstream first and then the flagship, but I guess nVidia marketing knows something I don't.

IINM budget/mainstream segment is were most of the money so they don't want raking in this money for too long.

Back