Graphic Cards AMD Kills ATI Brand

PhOeNiX

Skilled
AMD Kills ATI Brand, Future Products to Feature Brand Change

This had to happen eventually, and it did just happen: AMD has dissolved the ATI brand completely, and consolidated ATI brands, such as Radeon and FirePro under the AMD main brand. Under the new branding scheme, new graphics products AMD launches (such as the upcoming Radeon HD 6000 series), will do away with "ATI" completely from the logo, marketing material, and so on, and the market will, as it already has been doing since the AMD-ATI merger, albeit informally, refer to Radeon/FirePro products as "AMD Radeon" and "AMD FirePro".
masterbrands.jpg

AMD explains its move as an "evolution of the AMD brand portfolio", saying that consolidation of ATI-branded products under the main brand results in reduced marketing overhead. It claims to have surveyed several thousand discrete graphics-aware users in in the U.S., U.K., Germany, China, Japan, Brazil, and Russia. The survey revealed that when made aware of ATI-AMD merger, AMD preference triples; AMD brand is stronger than ATI (against graphics competitors); and that people see Radeon and FirePro product names more conspicuous than ATI, indicating a "permission" to consolidate ATI into AMD. The survey was conducted entirely by AMD.
The company also claimed that this is the perfect time AMD could possibly consolidate ATI brand, because Radeon products are experiencing good sales, and there's high market penetration of AMD's graphics products. Finally, AMD revealed the new brand logos that are nearly identical to the present ATI logos, of course, minus the revered "ATI".

newlogos.jpg

Looking ahead in the future, AMD expects its Vision branding strategy to cover a wide range of PC processor products, making it easy for consumers to choose a PC. Individual processors still carry their own logos, while Vision serves as a blanket logo to describe what the PC is capable of. AMD made it clear that existing Radeon HD 5000 series product (including the Radeon HD 5000 which are being manufactured or will be manufactured), are not affected by this change.

|
The transition will take place gradually. While current products aren't affected, with future product-lines (starting with Radeon HD 6000 series, and next-generation FirePro). Partners can choose between two kinds of logos (shown in the first image above), one which is more recognizable with the AMD corporate logo embedded, and one without.
SOURCE : techPowerUp! News :: AMD Kills ATI Brand, Future Products to Feature Brand Change

oembrands.jpg

Dont miss the "Intel Core i7" inside sticker above the FirePro and Radeon sticker.... :lol:

On second thoughts, could this have been deliberate?

I really wouldn't mind a name change. It's just the quality and reliability of the products that matters. That said, there's a lot sentimental values in it..

/*

AMD doesn't have good astrologist.

the astrologist of apple and intel advised them to include i in their products and they succeeded (iPod, Core i ..etc)

amd had it after acquiring ATi and now they are killing their lucky i

damn its doomed now. :p

sarcasm*/

Kalopsia said:
I really wouldn't mind a name change. It's just the quality and reliability of the products that matters. That said, there's a lot sentimental values in it..

+1 i definitely agree with you mate..!!

They are losing legacy value by killing the ATI brand. I wonder how hardcore ATI fans will feel. Not a good move IMO.

For eg: everyone has heard of Castrol but does everyone know that it was acquired by BP(British Petroleum)? BP was smart enough to capitalize on the brand value of Castrol and the brand happily exists as part of BP's product portfolio.

sydras said:
They are losing legacy value by killing the ATI brand. I wonder how hardcore ATI fans will feel. Not a good move IMO.

For eg: everyone has heard of Castrol but does everyone know that it was acquired by BP(British Petroleum)? BP was smart enough to capitalize on the brand value of Castrol and the brand happily exists as part of BP's product portfolio.
very well said..!!

jojothedragon said:
Who cares about a name? :|

Its the product that matters. :)
if products will be named ridiculously crazy like AMD Radeon HD53x148/122 GTX-6 blah blah blah then it wont be understandable; name matters

Brand value suffers
Just take jaguar and land rover
Do you think their business will grow if they are renamed to tata motors.
On second thoughts the renaming thing is done to boost their processor sales.
It is meant for some people blinded by intel who think all AMD does is play catch up to intel by reverse engineering intel chips and introducing them as AMD.
To make people understand that AMD is doing innovations in graphic processing.

^^And how different is AMD Radeon HD 6850 from ATi Radeon HD 6850? :\

kaunkaun said:
very well said..!!
Stop this shit already! Posting +1, very well said, I agree with you mate!, seconded etc. doesn't cut it. IIRC, you are not supposed to post such one liners and add to your post count. Post something useful while you are at it.

that is very sad to hear that i have to expand to my friend for not telling ati instead of AMD radeon graphic :p

and i love ati logo that is gold is olden day back :)

AMD will end up killing the ATI brand, losing on the overall sales and eventually losing out in the long run with intel as well as nVidia.

Castrol is a fitting example of what BRAND Value means and how it affects you. If name doesnt matter than iPod would not have been more successful than iRiver.

But again thats my opinion.

Desecrator said:
^^And how different is AMD Radeon HD 6850 from ATi Radeon HD 6850? :\
first of all it does not sound nice ati is a bit catchy
& secondly it might be confusing for noobs (might be confused as proccy?)

with AMD on the logo i think more brands will not use the logo (intel can push for anything) . few laptops like the Dell XPS doesnt use the red ati logo

Well, I guess for those of us who remember ATI from pre-AMD takeover times and the ATI nVIDIA wars, the name ATI counts for something and will be missed. But the newer users probably won't care/mind.

Back