Hi,

My current configuration is:
AMD Athlon 2 X2 250
GA-M68MT-S2P gigabyte motherboard
6 GB DDR3 corsair ram
320 GB HDD
Gigabyte Radeon 7770 GHZ edition GPU
Gigabyte Superb 460 PSU

I want to upgrade my processor to FX4100 with suitable motherboard.
My max Budget is 10K
do i need to change PSU also??
Please suggest...

Hey dude instead of FX 6100 processor try to get FX 6350 procesor which is based on latest GPU n its good. Its available in newegg, but I think still not available in India except FX8350 model

Thank you guys for your response.

But one thing more i want to ask is can i upgrade my CPU with my current configuration. How is Phenim II X4 950 in gaming??

@Tarunalpha
Possible compatible mobo for FX4100 are (in order of highest to lowest chipsets) ASUS M5A99fx/M5A97/M5A88/M5A78.
Pick which ever suits your pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your board is revision 3.1, then it supports some FX processors.
If you want a quick upgrade then just get a Phenom II X4.

If you're changing the board+cpu, then go the Intel way.

Actually I want to upgrade CPU only to Phenom II X4 but this processor is not available in any store. I live in New Delhi.
Going towards Intel is out of budget.
And i doubt FX4100 or any other bulldozer CPU very much as far as performance is concerned. Old gen Phenom II X4 are much better than recent FX series i guess. But only Phenom II X2 are available.[DOUBLEPOST=1368088507][/DOUBLEPOST]@ ch@ts

My motherboard revision number is 3.0. can i upgrade the revision number?

Unfortunately, you can't upgrade to an FX processor. :(

You could try getting a second hand Phenom IIX4 or X6, or you could buy an Intel i3 or Pentium chip with a low end motherboard for between 6-10 thousand for the bundle.

You will have to upgrade your PSU if you get a more power hungry CPU. Your current PSU only outputs 400w, and if you change from a 65w processor, to a 95/125/140w one, you'll be asking for trouble if you don't replace it.
If you get a core i3, you can hold on to your PSU a bit longer, since @55w, it's more frugal than your current setup.

Check this list for prices (look at the Intel bundles):
http://www.deltapage.com/list/index.html

Ok sir, i have decided to go for FX4300 piledriver processor(available at SMC Interational, New Delhi). can u suggest me suitable motherboard for that(preference Gigabyte) and also CX650 PSU is fine for this setup??

I've ran 95W TDP cpu [ Athlon II X4 oced to 3.6 Ghz ] + HD6850 on Cm Extreme Power Plus 460W [ 312W on +12V ] with 6x 120mm case fans. .. so Op's PSu should handle a new 95W TDP cpu like FX 4300 provided he won't OC just to be on safe side ;)

Last edited:
Well since your running a 95W tdp its should be fine but as Topgear mentioned don't OC anything ... also to be on the safer side and if you can invest in one that's 500 W plus .. would be a beneficial move over all in the even that you decide to cross fire in the future

Back