CPU/Mobo AMD Setup Confusion

Hi,

I am looking forward to upgrade my system.

I have Short listed the following:

Processor:

Athlon II X4 620

Or

Phenom II X2 550 BE

Motherboard:
(unable to decide as what should i go for DDR2 or DDR3 support, Also will be Overclocking & unlocking If i Go For "550 BE")

Biostar TA-790GX-BE

Gigabyte GA770T UD3P

RAM:

Will Be Decided On Motherboard.

Budget = 12,000 -15,000

Plz Help Me Decide.

Regards,

DB:hap2:

Athlon II X2 620

Or

Phenom II X2 550 BE

Very difficult to suggest. Both excels in different fields. The X2 will perform better with games due to large cache, which X4 will dominate in the multicore application. So make your choice depending on the task you do with your computer. You can easily achieve 3.6ghz on X4 with a decent aftermarket cooler.

Ofcourse you can unlock X2 -> X4 but still the unlocked performance isn't that great when compared to native Quad core.

Dark Star said:
Very difficult to suggest. Both excels in different fields. The X2 will perform better with games due to large cache, which X4 will dominate in the multicore application. So make your choice depending on the task you do with your computer. You can easily achieve 3.6ghz on X4 with a decent aftermarket cooler.

Ofcourse you can unlock X2 -> X4 but still the unlocked performance isn't that great when compared to native Quad core.

I Do Some Rendering Using Sketchup, Play Games at moderate settings. Then I Think X4 620 Will Help Here,

But I Just Wanted To Know That Will A Large Cache Of X2 550 BE Help In Gaming And How Much Will It Be Noticeable ?? (Planning to get ATI 4770 Later).

Want this system to last another 1-1.5 years.

Dark Star said:

How do you claim this ?

(BTW unlocked dual is ALSO a native quad core die. I am assuming you mean X4 B50 isnt the same in performance as 955BE at 3.1 Ghz ?)

Tao said:
How do you claim this ?
(BTW unlocked dual is ALSO a native quad core die. I am assuming you mean X4 B50 isnt the same in performance as 955BE at 3.1 Ghz ?)

+1
it shud give same performance as a quad which is sold as a quad.

Nopes not at all. My friend has X4 955 and mine is X4 B50 .

I get almost 1k low score in geekbench and considerably lower score in other benchmarking tools.

no harm in checking the stocks at nearest dealers.

If you find a good batch, get it w/o ny 2nd thought and if unsuccessful, then settle for X4 620.

@speedyfreak

If the unlock fails then too its still a pure VFM cos its a black edition and it can easily overclock to 3.5Ghz on stock cooler.

On the other hand if u get a processor of good batch then it 90% sure to unlock.

As i said in the link mentioned above both the unlocked processor are stable at 3.5Ghz quad setup on stock cooler!!!

I will try to add screenshot of that as soon as possible..

The ratio of unlocking 550BE is fairly high, and will increase as the process improves (unless AMD decides to laser etch them or something, about which we will know once that happens). All you need is the right BIOS ;)

On the other side,even if it does not unlock, the CPU will go to 3.7 Ghz atleast on 2 cores , which is fairly decent given most games prefer higher clocks than cores or cache.

Dark Star said:
Nopes not at all. My friend has X4 955 and mine is X4 B50 .

I get almost 1k low score in geekbench and considerably lower score in other benchmarking tools.

I reckon its got to do with other things like HT/NB freq, RAM , OS etc.

I believe that since both chips are from the same wafer, its unlikely they can have different performance per clock with same number of cores enabled (and working stable)

Rather ask your friend to shut off 2 of his cores and compare. I expect the difference will still be there.

Ya, the one who go for X4 955 will most probably go for a 10k+ mobo too, with a good pair of DDR3. B50 users are most budget conscious users, still looking for max performance out of their hardware.

So in this scenario, X4 955 will win by slight margin due to better overall components. Havnt see a many reviews or users with B50 on 10k+ mobo and really good DDR3 rams. So it cant be said 955 is better than B50 clock to clock.

GA-MA790X-UD4P is too high end.

Giga GA 770T UD3P for 6~6.5k is a gr8 one.

For value performance, Biostar TA 790GXBE/TA790GXB A2+ for 4.4k or 4.8k

The latter one supports more power to CPU[140W opposed to 120W on GXBE], and might help while OCing.

i suggest:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO Mobo( its ddr3 supported) --around 7.4k

AMD 550 BE-- around 5.4k

transcend ddr3 2 gb 1333 mhz -- around 2.4k

actually this is the config i recently bought.

Back