OC & Modding AMD system - Can't install Thermalright Heatsink [RESOLVED using another backplate]

kvikram

Skilled
Nov 16, 2010
Received the backplate from Ashish. Installing the heatsink was a no-brainer with this backplate. Now running at 25-40 C temps. :D

Take a look at the difference in pillar height between the backplates. Not only that, but the screw threads start immediately from the top of the pillars.

[DOUBLEPOST=1370674295][/DOUBLEPOST]I have, however, run into another quirk. Although I get pretty low temperatures, the fan speed stays at a constant of ~2100 RPM (quite noisy), whatever I'm doing. I think it's probably because the motherboard is not controlling the fan properly. Unfortunately, Dell's BIOS has no option to modify the fan speed either.

Would it be possible to override the motherboard's fan control in some way?

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
Glad that worked out for you.

If you cannot see the fan speed in BIOS then there is no fan speed control at all on the motherboard. You can try installing Speedfan and see if it picks up any kind of controllable interface.

If not, you will have to add a third-party controller. Example: http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Deepcool+ROCKMAN+PWM+Fan+Controller_C10P14278.html I use one from NZXT which cost a bit more and had a *lot* of flashing lights and a touchscreen, this Deepcool looks a whole lot better than that one.

Or you could simply try a better fan, like an Antec TwoCool or one of the bigger Noctuas, the 'Quiet' version of the Corsair, and so on if you can tolerate slightly higher temperatures.

Reactions: kvikram

kvikram

Skilled
Nov 16, 2010
@cranky

Thanks. That fan controller is a bit pricey though. :eek:

Can you explain to me what PWM means? I read online that the 4th pin is for PWM. Also, my motherboard has a 4-pin CPU fan connector to which I've attached this 3-pin fan. If I got a 4-pin fan will I be able to modify the fan speed?

And what about an unbranded fan controller like this: http://www.ebay.in/itm/3-5-inch-Bay...ents&hash=item4173d61d2f&_uhb=1#ht_2831wt_912 It's for 500 bucks. Would you recommend it?

Meddled around with Speedfan as well. In the speeds tab there are a load of PWM controllers. I set the maximum speed on all of them down to 50% but saw no difference in the speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
PWM is Pulse Width Modulation. The 4-pin connector is essential for PWM control and yes, a PWM controller cannot reliably control the speed of a non-PWM fan (3-pin).

Basically in the old days you controlled the speed of the fan by changing the voltage, so higher voltage = faster fan, slower speed meant you turned the voltage down.

One free way to reduce fan speed is to use the 5V and 12V rails to provide 7V to the fan - and if your fan can operate at that speed, use the 5V rail to power the fan instead of the 12V rail.

Anyway in PWM fans the controller powers the fan only part of the time and switches it off the rest of the time. The ratio of on to off times is known as the pulse width, with slower speeds attained by turning the fan off for longer. In actual operation it's not that simple as the fan needs to maintain speed between 'pulses', but this is enough to understand the principle.

That eBay controller will work just as well, though the output rating needs to match your fan's power draw. 10W is just around 0.75A so ideally you should not connect a fan with more than 0.4A rating (you have to factor in that unbranded stuff always runs below spec).

kvikram

Skilled
Nov 16, 2010
@cranky

So I see two alternatives here:
  1. Get PWM fan and use it instead of this fan
  2. Get a fan controller
But you're saying that PWM is not reliable? So would I be better off getting a fan controller instead?

Also, I cannot be absolutely sure that I would be able to control the fan speed via SpeedFan using PWM via the Dell motherboard? Because the Dell motherboard might not allow it, in spite of the existence of a PWM pin?[DOUBLEPOST=1370690665][/DOUBLEPOST]Instead of getting a pricey fan controller, I'm thinking of getting a PWM fan like this: http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition High Static Pressure 120mm Fan (CO-9050005-WW)_C10P16750.html

But I need to be sure I'll be able to control the fan speed using speedfan. Can I be sure?

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
PWM is 100% bulletproof, but the fans and controllers are not usually interchangeable. Presence of 4-pin does not indicate ability to control fan speed, just the existence of the pin itself for connector compatibility to AMD's spec.

There is now way to tell if your motherboard can control the fan speed. No way unless you can get an actual PWM fan (even the sucky stock one will do) to put on the controller and then see what happens with Speedfan.

kvikram

Skilled
Nov 16, 2010
@cranky The stock fan is indeed a 4-pin fan. And IIRC, I previosuly tried to reduce the speed using speed fan with no success.

I guess buying the fan controller is the simplest solution here. My current fan is 340 mA, so I'll go for that 500 bucks fan controller from eBay.

Reactions: cranky

kvikram

Skilled
Nov 16, 2010
@cranky

Received the fan controller, and I just discovered that my PSU doesn't have a Molex connector. Oh, I keep running into problems in the quest for a silent PC. :banghead:

Will see if I can convert the SATA power connector to Molex using this tutorial: http://www.erodov.com/forums/how-make-your-own-sata-molex-4-pin-connector/37078.html

And the fan controller has two molex connectors, one male and one female, connected to each other like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/clacarc5a24p19d/IMG_20130612_111456.jpg

Does this mean I can use any one for power, depending on whether the cable from the power supply is male or female? If that is so, then can I cut off that secondary female connector and mod the SATA power with it?

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
Nov 28, 2011
香港
@kvikram Generally connectors on PSUs are of Female type. You can cut-off Female port from Fan Controller and use it. Also you can take that Female port from old/dead PSUs, in case you dunn want to play with Fan Controller.

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
No worries, snip off the connectors from both the fan controller and any spare PSU lead. You need to strip the insulation off the yellow and the black wire, and join them up Y to Y and B to B. If you also have red and orange wires, leave the insulation on and seal off the mouth of the snip to prevent it touching.

Use a good electrical stretchable insulating tape (not steelgrip!!!) on all connections and the snipped wire ends to prevent short circuits. That's done.

Reactions: Gannu

kvikram

Skilled
Nov 16, 2010
Installed the fan controller today. Installation was a major pain in the behind because of low quality of materials. Eventually I didn't even insert any screws and it simply got really stuck in the 3.5 inch bay without my being able to pull it out.

Anyway it works perfectly. Finally a silent PC. I can use the computer and play games in peace! :D

Reactions: Gannu

kvikram

Skilled
Nov 16, 2010
Sorry to ask so many questions on the same thread, but I have just one more query.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3697/qaze.JPG

The TMPIN2 temperature always stays pretty high (about 70s) and goes upto 80 or 90 while gaming. But the CPU and Mainboard temperatures are normal and below 50 C. What exactly is TMPIN2? Should I be worried?

RD274

I.can.edit.this?omg
Skilled
Sep 9, 2009
Ahmedabad
Seems to be another temperature sensor, quite possibly the northbridge (that silver block under the CPU and above the graphic card). I'd confirm it by touching the northbridge before gaming and then while gaming and seeing if it feels 40c hotter lol.

EDIT: Or just rest a 90mm/120mm fan on top of your gpu but blowing air straight on that block and see if the temp is still high while gaming. If it is the Northbridge, then you shouldn't be worried. These things do get pretty hot and your motherboard doesn't seem to have a really good heatsink helping out either. It should be fine though.