Graphic Cards Amd X2 4200+ & X1800/7800 512???

Guy..One major point here.....He is gonna run at 1024*768!!! Both cards will probably be identical on performance, though the ATI should be able to kick in with the image quality aspect with all the bells and whistles on!
Go with either.... the point that you will probably need to keep in mind is your upgrade cycle! If you are not planning on switching your video card any time soon go with the nVidia you will not burn your hands in the long run.....unless nVidia brings out an Ultra :p

udit-130286 said:
How much does the X1800XL & XT costs in Rupees.

Can X1800 & X1600 be used in SLI Mode.
They still haven't been imported by the distributors here. :)
Both the x1800 and x1600 can be used in crossfire mode (ATIs multi-gpu solution). The x1600 doesnt need a master card though the x1800 does need one.

udit-130286 said:
How much does the X1800XL & XT costs in Rupees.

Can X1800 & X1600 be used in SLI Mode.

yes..

You can use 1800 and 1600 in crossfire. ATi is much more flexible than nvidia.

Thanks to Blade for poitning that out.

Chaos said:
^^ATI doesn't have SLI.... its called crossfire. An X1800 master card can be paired only with X1800XT or X1800XL cards. (A master card is necessary for X1800) An X1600 can be paired with only another X1600 card. Similarly X1300 can only be paired with another X1300.

Now, I am confused. I thought so too. But Blade told me I was wrong. So, I edited my post :p

Nikhil said:
yes..

You can use 1800 and 1600 in crossfire. ATi is much more flexible than nvidia.

Thanks to Blade for poitning that out.

I think there has been some miscommunication I was asking can -

2 X1800's or 2 X1600's run in SLI mode.

^^ATI doesn't have SLI.... its called crossfire. An X1800 master card can be paired only with X1800XT or X1800XL cards. (A master card is necessary for X1800) An X1600 can be paired with only another X1600 card. Similarly X1300 can only be paired with another X1300.

@Udit,
SLI is ONLY for nVIDIA cards. ATI cards can ONLY be put into a CrossFire
supporting motherboard, if you want two of them running in sync like nVIDIA's SLI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaos said:
Actually unlike nVidia the ATIs can be clubbed with any other card from the same core family. The only thing is that it would be limited to using the maximum pipelines of the lower end card.

Deathdart said:
Get two 7800 GTX and use the SLi feature on your mobo. You won't have to upgrade again for a loooooong time.
Actually,id rather just upgrade again when i feel the need for it :) I think one card will do for now.BTW guys are crossfire mobos available here?

Yes, many good nForce 4 based mobos are available in India.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the question properly, I dunno whether crossfire mobos are available.

deathdemon89 said:
Actually,id rather just upgrade again when i feel the need for it :) I think one card will do for now.BTW guys are crossfire mobos available here?
None right now but maybe sapphire and powercolor might start importing CF mobos soon.

DarkNight said:
Actually unlike nVidia the ATIs can be clubbed with any other card from the same core family. The only thing is that it would be limited to using the maximum pipelines of the lower end card.
U've mistaken pal. I got that info straight from the horse's mouth ;). (The MD of ATI India gave a presentation at our place a while back) X1800s can be clubbed only with an X1800 master.

Hehe zhop chk this out Crossfire and Nf4

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25260

and this
The biggest challenge that ATi had with Crossfire is getting their motherboards out there. Well, I guess that’s not a problem seeing as Crossfire supports almost any motherboard with two PCI Express slots. Therefore ATi Crossfire will work on nForce4 and Intel chipsets.

Here’s the ultimate test – when ATi finally releases their Crossfire edition x1800 board I can’t wait to test it with an nForce4 vs the latest ATi chipset. Everyone knows Crossfire works with nForce4, and I think we’ll see the difference a chipset makes. I think the fact that ATi designed it to work independently of the chipset is the best feature of Crossfire.

http://voodoopc.blogspot.com//

Wow, thanks. Didn't know that. So whats the use of a crossfire mobo? And will (2 x X1600) work on a sli mobo without the crossfire card?

zhopudey said:
Wow, thanks. Didn't know that. So whats the use of a crossfire mobo? And will (2 x X1600) work on a sli mobo without the crossfire card?
Well this is all on paper right now. If anyone tries it we'll get to know abt it. :)

deathdemon89 said:
So is it possible to dual two ATis on the A8N-SLI Premium? If yes,then y make Crossfire mobos in the first place?? :huh: O btw i just wanted to clear a tiny doubt...Does the X1800 support Shader Model 3? :p
Like i said before this is all on paper right now, certainly not worth the risk since such an adventure cud effectively be culled by modifying the drivers a bit. Yeah x1800 series does support Sm 3.0.

Back