CPU/Mobo Amount of thermal paste to be used

So recently I bought Dow Corning thermal paste as Arctic Silver isn't available here in Lucknow.I applied as per the instructions given on the manual.But I can't see any temperature decrease.CPU is still too hot.That tube contained 0.5g of paste and it was instructed to be applied all at once.Is 0.5g too much?

I have already seen that.I just wanted to know if 0.5g is more than rice grain size:p By the way anyone here knows any shop in Lucknow where I can get Arctic Silver.I have already searched as much as i could.

Thanks for the help but I have already seen many of those:p
So I just need to put a small drop in the centre and then mount the heatsink,right?

actually spreading it urself is not recommended,just put a drop of the past in the centre,and press down the heatsink on the proc,the paste gets spread evenly(or the area in contact with the heatsink)

I need some help.I applied the paste but I am finding it really difficult to mount the heatsink.It really takes lots of time and I am not sure if I finally managed to fit it properly.There is no noticeable change in the cpu temperature,it is still very hot-50c idle.I have seen some videos but still unable to do it.Can someone suggest me how to properly install the heatsink?I am using Intel Pentium D cpu.

Please post some pictures of the heat sink.Also if your heat sink is not mounted properly that may also be responsible for the high temps.

CPU is Penitum D 930 3.0 ghz.Heatsink is like stock heatsink.It is new..Fan is spinning at 2500rpm so I assume it is working properly.I would like to try out some cheap ways before spending 2.5k on a good CPU cooler.So guys please explain me how to properly seat the heatsink.

If you read this thread carefully ,you will notice that I have already mentioned that I have seen a lot of videos .:p In those videos they do it so easily and they say to fit the pins/legs diagonally.But in real that is too difficult to do and I am afraid I will end up breaking my motherboard.

Nea .. don't worry .. I was scared too when I assembled my rig and the loud snap sounds were really scary .. but that's how the stock cooler works :p Try it!

Thank you guys.I applied thermal paste succesfully:p.Temperature change is noticiable about 45c now idle.Earleir it was fifty.I used silicon paste,thats what I managed to get here in Lucknow.Will Arctic Silver make real diffrence?I would like to give it a try before getting new CPU cooler.By the way you guys know any shop in Delhi where Arctic silver 5 is available?My brother searched few shops in Nehru place but he couldn't find it.

Back