AnandTech shutting down after more than 2 decades in tech journalism

Eh! What is happening? First the Xbitlabs and now AnandTech?
Oh No Lol GIF by AsmodeeGames

Good thing they're keeping the website and forum online...for now. I'm less worried about sites eventually winding down, because eventually everything must go, and more worried about losing all the decades of recorded history and written experiences that must be on there. Their decision to do it this way should give the Internet Archive people and any other datahoarders enough time to backup everything.

As a teenager in the late 1990s, I used to hitch rides after 1am to go to the internet cafes that charged half-price after midnight to browse AT at Rs 60 an hour and print out articles at Rs 11 per page.

I never thought I'd see AT shutdown. Written word still generates profits but perhaps not in the range where the expertise of AT staff is fairly compensated.

Really sad to see AT go. Practically grew up reading their reviews and articles back in the day. Another site I used to visit (for game reviews) then was Adrenaline Vault. Avault started in 1995 and shutdown in 2013. I still fondly remember how well written their original Half Life reviews was! Those were the days when Gamespy, Gamespot were thriving with fantastic reviews.

It's great that AT Forum is still going strong. Been an active member there since 2008!

Holy shit - grew up reading it as a definitive place for tech info and reviews. This is so sad.
Something similar happened last year to DPReview after Amazon decided to shutter it, but thankfully Gear Patrol bought the rights and site is thriving.
Feels like a part of me has died.

I spent hundreds of hours on Engadget, anandtech, hardforum and friends... simpler times :')

Nowadays, just visit techpowerup occassionally for news

I still visit Hardforum. The Data Storage and NAS build threads there were the firestarter for me setting up my first NAS PC at home back in the day. The way members slapped in multiple drives inside CM Stacker cases... I still get all excited going through those old photos of NAS builds there.

@guest_999 : Good point about printed newspaper! My Mother loved reading the newspaper and sipping on her morning cup of tea but after COVID when the newspaper guy stopped delivering paper in the morning she switched to reading news online on her phone or iPad (like me) and now she prefers that only so we don't get printed newspapers anymore. Back in the 90's not one but 2-3 newspapers were a regular in our home... Ananda Bazar Patrika (Bengali newspaper), The Telegraph and sometimes The Statesman would be the early birdies in the house. My Grandmother (God rest her soul, she was my pillar of love) was another Newspaper addict! How times have changed...

That should be quite obvious. A similar example for mainstream news: Ask yourself this, how many ppl you know still buy printed newspaper daily & read it?

In my house and most of the people I know (last I checked) still get multiple newspapers everyday and they read it in the morning. That said I understand what you are trying to say.
more like its cheaper to get AI to write bullshit en masse and peddle it to the masses, plus yeah video reviews have gotten more popular too

Just because a human might write it doesn't mean it's not bullshit. But yes, I see what you mean.

I still visit Hardforum. The Data Storage and NAS build threads there were the firestarter for me setting up my first NAS PC at home back in the day. The way members slapped in multiple drives inside CM Stacker cases... I still get all excited going through those old photos of NAS builds there.

@guest_999 : Good point about printed newspaper! My Mother loved reading the newspaper and sipping on her morning cup of tea but after COVID when the newspaper guy stopped delivering paper in the morning she switched to reading news online on her phone or iPad (like me) and now she prefers that only so we don't get printed newspapers anymore. Back in the 90's not one but 2-3 newspapers were a regular in our home... Ananda Bazar Patrika (Bengali newspaper), The Telegraph and sometimes The Statesman would be the early birdies in the house. My Grandmother (God rest her soul, she was my pillar of love) was another Newspaper addict! How times have changed...
We still get our newspapers because thankfully, my parents and I never kicked the habit of reading them over a cup of tea in the morning :woot:

We used to get the Statesman and Telegraph when my grandparents were alive. Post Covid, we switched to only The Telegraph, which gets delivered every morning at 6 am. When I was younger, I would be excited to get the Graphiti magazine every Sunday, just to read Suhel Seth's life advice section, sarcastically ripping everybody a new one in the name of advice.

Last edited:
Back