AnandTech shutting down after more than 2 decades in tech journalism

That should be quite obvious. A similar example for mainstream news: Ask yourself this, how many ppl you know still buy printed newspaper daily & read it?

Thankfully we still do - newspapers and magazines. Mom still gets her Grahshobha, kids get their Champak and Highlight Champs and Genies. Its pretty convenient since Blinkit sells books and magazines now!

Anandtech had vast number of articles and review content on a wide range. I used to spent lot of time reading their clean and unbiased stuff. This is really disheartening that one of the oldest and most respected in the tech industry is shutting down. Their content should still be available from the archive and the forums most likely getting merged with sister publication Tom's Hardware. Dr.Ian Cutress who was a former employee of AT summed it up well. Farewell AT.

Paramanand! Anand is on the way to you attain nirvana hence left for Himalayas closing down his tech..

Anand Lal Shimpi- AnandTech was founded in 1997 by Anand Lal Shimpi, who led the site until retiring from journalism in 2014 to work for Apple as part of the team that delivered the M series Apple Silicon chips.

We still get our newspapers because thankfully, my parents and I never kicked the habit of reading them over a cup of tea in the morning :woot:

We used to get the Statesman and Telegraph when my grandparents were alive. Post Covid, we switched to only The Telegraph, which gets delivered every morning at 6 am. When I was younger, I would be excited to get the Graphiti magazine every Sunday, just to read Suhel Seth's life advice section, sarcastically ripping everybody a new one in the name of advice.

OMFG... yes! That relationship advice section with Suhel Seth replying was absolutely lit! His replies were so hilariously savage... LoL! Also, there was a comics section and a Hocus-Focus section like the one below where you had to spot differences between two images:

Now that I recall, the Hocus Focus section was there in the 90's when we used to just call the magazine that came with the Telegraph "Sunday Magazine"! With a freshly sharpened pencil I used to sit myself down and meticulously hunt those differences... fun times they were man! Now it's even difficult to sit my cousin's young boys down to a Lego building session and yet when you give them their iPads each they will be glued to them for hours at an end.

Man, this is so sad. I remember reading throughly done testing of SSDs (cell health, endurance, stress testing), or Intel NUC testing etc which was very rarely done by others. Would definitely be missed. These days people just prefer to watch YouTube videos and less text unfortunately.

That should be quite obvious. A similar example for mainstream news: Ask yourself this, how many ppl you know still buy printed newspaper daily & read it?
You are mixing the medium (print) with the form (Long form content)…

The written word/ long form is far easier (and faster/efficient) to grasp and ingest as against videos.
Also with long form content, there are no crutches like fancy effects/music etc so the sole focus of the creator and the consumer is on the content.

Web 1.0 and 2.0 brought long form content out of print medium to the far more accessible digital medium..
And then Web 3.0 (Insta/ YT/ Twitter) killed it (or in the process of killing it)

I may sound like a pessimist but I cant help but feel that the current gens shift away from the written word does not bode too well for the future.

Now it's even difficult to sit my cousin's young boys down to a Lego building session and yet when you give them their iPads each they will be glued to them for hours at an end.
An interesting cognitive conundrum. You would think they were incapable of focusing on something for a longer period of time. But it's not that simple
The slow death of written journalism.
This is a centuries old trope that began with the printing press.
Critics were concerned that the printing press would put monks and scribes out of work, as well as threaten the monopoly and influence of the literate elite. For instance, in 1476, a group of scribes in Paris attacked and destroyed a printing press set up by Johann Heynlin, a German scholar and printer.
Same was said about piano sheet music, radio, cinema, TV, cassette & VCR and finally internet.
The written word/ long form is far easier (and faster/efficient) to grasp and ingest as against videos.
To which I would add the spoken word is no match for the written one.
I may sound like a pessimist but I cant help but feel that the current gens shift away from the written word does not bode too well for the future.
But lack or paucity of access to the latter might make one believe the former.

Last edited:
Anandtech had vast number of articles and review content on a wide range. I used to spent lot of time reading their clean and unbiased stuff. This is really disheartening that one of the oldest and most respected in the tech industry is shutting down. Their content should still be available from the archive and the forums most likely getting merged with sister publication Tom's Hardware. Dr.Ian Cutress who was a former employee of AT summed it up well. Farewell AT.

In this video he recommends www.chipsandcheese.com ... I guess this could become the next AT to fill the void?

Fondly remember the the last couple of decades when I would read their detailed benchmarks and reviews after major H/W releases.
End of an era for sure... and I guess, thanks for all the fish?

Back