Android Browser Recommendations

Ok i just started using Firefox on Android (don't really like it on windows) even though it was installed long ago.

Omg i can't believe it took me so long!

The last straw was all the damn autoplay videos in Chrome and for your 'convenience' they mute the videos so you don't even know it's eating your bandwidth and data cap. Yes some of us are still on metered mobile data.

I was using blockada before running chrome to block ads and even that stopped working properly with the new updates so i had to dig up an old apk which worked well.

But now FF on Android has built in media no-autoplay and extensions too for privacy and ad blocking. There are a couple of half decent vpns like windscribe and protonvpn for free if you want even more privacy and hide your IP etc.

I've now hidden Chrome away in the Google folder and FF is on my homescreen. I don't have the usual issues like on PC windows because Android apps are very similar anyway.

All i can say is, i wish i had the sense to do this years ago, or whenever FF first had stop autoplay and adblock extensions.

Ok i just started using Firefox on Android (don't really like it on windows) even though it was installed long ago.

Omg i can't believe it took me so long!

The last straw was all the damn autoplay videos in Chrome and for your 'convenience' they mute the videos so you don't even know it's eating your bandwidth and data cap. Yes some of us are still on metered mobile data.

I was using blockada before running chrome to block ads and even that stopped working properly with the new updates so i had to dig up an old apk which worked well.

But now FF on Android has built in media no-autoplay and extensions too for privacy and ad blocking. There are a couple of half decent vpns like windscribe and protonvpn for free if you want even more privacy and hide your IP etc.

I've now hidden Chrome away in the Google folder and FF is on my homescreen. I don't have the usual issues like on PC windows because Android apps are very similar anyway.

All i can say is, i wish i had the sense to do this years ago, or whenever FF first had stop autoplay and adblock extensions.
You know what, go one step further lol. You can uninstall chrome and Web Service. Without chrome, FF will be used system-wide. Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

You know what, go one step further lol. You can uninstall chrome and Web Service. Without chrome, FF will be used system-wide. Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

If you like firefox on mobile, try iceraven. Its the same as Firefox with even more privacy focussed features and more useful extensions available. It even syncs to my desktop firefox.

On my rooted phone I use Bromite Browser. It also replaces google webview when installed through magisk.
Dammit, stop you guys. You know browser experimentation is a slippery slope straight into the rabbit hole!
:p
Also @nimod long time, buddy!

Depending on how large your screen is, I would strongly recommend Samsung Internet (I love the tabbing at the top - firefox tabbing requires multiple taps, and copying the address directly, etc) and Kiwi Browswer (resource hungry compared to the others) because of its ability to support Chrome desktop extensions.

That said, I use a tablet for most of my browsing, so YMMV.

People here should try OH Browser. The UI is not very polished, but the gesture based navigation makes it really easy to use. Look at the tips and tricks inside settings.

I also use Firefox for replacing custom tabs. Once you've disabled chrome using ADB, Firefox will takeover your custom tabs inside apps like Reddit. The experience is so much better overall than Chrome.

I use chrome lite and inbuilt rom browser for temp use. Extremely light.
Hardly like to surf on shitty phone screens. So pc is my daily driver and will always be.

As some esteemed members have already mentioned, imho, Duckduck is better. Buddies it is all about security and my privacy, in my case so I use Tor as my browser everywhere. Android being Google's top spy-machine, even Tor is somehow helpless as it seems. Trust me, Brave turns out to be the Brutus in browser fraternity by collaborating (whitelisting) with Facebook and by forcing users to connect the browser itself to some certain servers for it's background wallpaper! Where is the security in Brave? For me it is Tor, Bromite and Duckduckgo.

I am surprised that Kiwi hasn't been recommended by more people here. It supports all Chrome Web Store and external extensions like desktop Chrome does. That a huge plus and it has perfect built in dark mode that is not CPU hungry! I personally hate browsing without it..

I'm using 'samsung internet beta', the big upside to it being the ability to have the address bar at the bottom of the screen. God knows its a pain to reach for the address bar at the top of the screen all the time.

Back