Android Or Wp7(15-20K)

Hey Guys,

Have decided to pick a phone after a long while. Please Pour in ASAP. Need to get one this week

1. Q: Budget?

A: 15-20K

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Bar

3. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: Prefer Samsung, HTC, Nokia(WP)

4. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

A: Touchscreen

5. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: A Bare minimum of 5 MP with Flash should do good.

6. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

A: Andriod or WP 7.5 Mango

7. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

A: 2G, 3G.and WiFi

8. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?

A: Phone calls, IM, Mails, Internet, Music and TV Shows or Movies( Show be able to handle 720P flawlessly)

9. Q: Any other requirements?

A:The Front Camera would be of great help

10. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.

A: Andriod Platform- Samsung Galaxy R, Moto Defy+, SE XPeria Neo V

Windows Phone Platform- Nokia Lumia 710 or Samsung Omnia W

This Phone is intended to be used atleast for a year and half. Need to be wisely chosen. First can you guys help me out in clearing out differences between a Andriod and WP.

I have managed to handle both the platforms in Hand. But I find WP to be buttersmooth while handling provided of the a year old HW. But simualteneously Android uses a lot of resources. I need a phone which is not laggy and faster for Communication( Like IM's, E-Mail).

Would be of great help if someone could tell me does Android has any of the MS Office application like WP counterparts.

TIA And Cheers,

Avinash

Looking at your requirements, WP 7 makes more sense. Android does have office softwares like Documents to Go but the native MS software is better. I would suggest Omnia W.

If you go for Galaxy R, the advantages you will have will be a bigger screen (4.2" vs 3.7") and 1080p playback. I don't think any of the other phones would be able to pay 1080p. But until ICS is released for it, you won't know whether the lagginess has been reduced/eliminated.

Thanks for your inputs. Office works are a secondary issue. Would use the phone primarily for Mails, IM's, watching movies and TV shows on the go while going to Clients place which generally takes a hour for me daily.

^^ Respected Sire, even I would suggest you go for a Windows Phone [model at your discretion], the only serious flak you'll face is initial lack of supported / ported applications but as soon as Windows PhoneOS picks up as a contender to Android and iOS, you'll see multitude of apps and like mushrooming.

[font=arial, sans-serif]Thanks for your inputs. Office works are a secondary issue. Would use the phone primarily for Mails, IM's, watching movies and TV shows on the go while going to Clients place which generally takes a hour for me daily. [/font]

For emails, I don't see any difference unless you are using exchange for which I am guessing WP7 will have slightly better support. IM's again both platforms should have clients for all major services. For movies and TV shows, I guess the screen quality would matter. For that, you'd be best of seeing the screens in person at Croma or somewhere they have demo pieces. The Lumia 710 apparently has a clearblack display but on a LCD. Don't know how much of a difference it makes.

I am reclined more towards Android because of tons and tons of Apps, Mods etc. The HW used in Android are far more superior. The features like Dual Core, Better Memory and Rom, Front camera

But somewhere bottom of heart, WP is pulling me.

^^ Respected Sire, even I would suggest you go for a Windows Phone [model at your discretion], the only serious flak you'll face is initial lack of supported / ported applications but as soon as Windows PhoneOS picks up as a contender to Android and iOS, you'll see multitude of apps and like mushrooming.
Thanks. But the question is how faster the Apps will be made available to WP's.

For emails, I don't see any difference unless you are using exchange for which I am guessing WP7 will have slightly better support. IM's again both platforms should have clients for all major services. For movies and TV shows, I guess the screen quality would matter. For that, you'd be best of seeing the screens in person at Croma or somewhere they have demo pieces. The Lumia 710 apparently has a clearblack display but on a LCD. Don't know how much of a difference it makes.

Coming to Nokia Lumia 710, I did not like the design much plus LCD Capicitative screen. Samsung Omnia W has a Super AmoLED Display I Guess and a front face camera for Video Calling. Does WP has Video Calling Apps?

^^ Why don't you check a couple of reviews for the newly released Windows PhoneOS based well phones and stack them against their Android counter-parts.

Look I can't give a dead-line date that @so-and-so date the Windows Phone apps will start becoming common, it is all dependent how it fares in the real market in front of Android / iOS / BlackBerry counter-parts, if it makes a dent in the market a community will grow around it and apps will start flowing, if it fails to garner attention, I'm sorry Windows Phone7 is going down FAST!!

[font=arial, sans-serif]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Coming to Nokia Lumia 710, I did not like the design much plus LCD Capicitative screen. Samsung Omnia W has a Super AmoLED Display I Guess and a front face camera for Video Calling. Does WP has Video Calling Apps? [/font]

That is why I suggested Omnia W

as for video calling yes WM supports it, but ATM AFAIK there is only one app called Tango and not a lot of people on other platforms use it. But since Microsoft owns Skype, the next update should add native video calling support via Skype.

Ok cool. Will do a bit of Home Work today on some Windows Phones. My friend owns a HTC HD7, will try that out. Thanks a ton for inputs guys.

^^ Why don't you check a couple of reviews for the newly released Windows PhoneOS based well phones and stack them against their Android counter-parts.

Look I can't give a dead-line date that @so-and-so date the Windows Phone apps will start becoming common, it is all dependent how it fares in the real market in front of Android / iOS / BlackBerry counter-parts, if it makes a dent in the market a community will grow around it and apps will start flowing, if it fails to garner attention, I'm sorry Windows Phone7 is going down FAST!!

Thats the only reason why I do not want to take a chance against. I would settle with a Android for the same money and be sure that the phone serves my purpose for a year and a half.

I got both the platforms, and yes I'm a bit of a tinker nut so I need Android. WP7 is a phone more for people who do not want to tinker with their phone and can live with Metro tiles.

If you are a tinker nut too then Android. And yes which ever phone you buy, try and see if you can get a demo of playing videos on the phone. Trust me you do want to do this, coz if you have all 720P vidz and it doesnt play on the phone, converting them is gonna be a humungously boring task

(I'm not saying WP7 is boring, its just how I look at it. People do not need to agree with me, they are entitled to their own opinion.)

The HW used in Android are far more superior. The features like Dual Core, Better Memory and Rom, Front camera

You cannot compare Hardware features like Processor,Ram etc across different OS.

Androids have faster processors because they need them,not a choice but compulsion. Single core Snapdragon is fast enough for Most WP7 apps I think.

It is mainly because of the marketing policy of the Android manufacturers that They heavily promote the clock speed of the cpu and the version of Android phone they are shipping in highlighted colors..

Coming back to your Query, You mentioned Video playback as one of your main requirements?

In that case I will suggest you to go for a high end samsung phone,something like SG-R or SGS 2 if you can strech it.

Also even though you have not mentioned it , most new symbian phones like Nokia 701 are great video players..

The main advantage is , that you dont have to hack a registry or be forced to use Zune if you are going to transfer big volumes... Also the codec support in Samsung android and Nokia symbian phones is generally very good,Thus eliminating the need of software decoding and also improving battery life..

regards,

aka.

I currently have S2, Omnia W, Blackberry. I previously had Galaxy S.

IMO if you only want to keep a single phone, it should either be Android or Iphone. WP7.5 is okay as a secondary phone but it isn't a complete phone.

The only way it actually beats Android is that it is noticeably faster. But Android is much more powerful, easier to use, more home, more natural, more Windows like, any day better for a noob who isn't illiterate.

Stick to Android unless you want to buy a second phone and then my first choice would be a WP7
<

One 20k phone as a Primary phone another 19k phone as a secondary phone wow ...

Android is windows like ?? .

@OP .

Looking at your usage i would suggest you a android phone as well but if you want to do so much on it the battery life will surely take a beating , i dont even use my S2 much just normal 20-30 max 1hr calling per day , just tinkering arnd for 1 hr and max 1 hr of music , battery lasts not even a day.

I dont know how good WP7 performs in that aspect but if it does perform i doubt you will miss anything much but the wide app-support of android/apple.

Android is 30k, I bought for nearly 32k, at launch, That is the primary phone
<

Emergency phone is Blackberry bought for around 12-13k
<

And Galaxy S2 has a better battery life than Omnia W. Actually, Galaxy S2 has one of the best battery life for any smartphone till date provided you use the right ROM, 2.3.6 KK5 and calibrate it properly. It is far better than Galaxy S or Galaxy SL or Blackberry or Omnia W.

First of all, Thanks for so many Inputs guys.

I got both the platforms, and yes I'm a bit of a tinker nut so I need Android. WP7 is a phone more for people who do not want to tinker with their phone and can live with Metro tiles.

If you are a tinker nut too then Android. And yes which ever phone you buy, try and see if you can get a demo of playing videos on the phone. Trust me you do want to do this, coz if you have all 720P vidz and it doesnt play on the phone, converting them is gonna be a humungously boring task

(I'm not saying WP7 is boring, its just how I look at it. People do not need to agree with me, they are entitled to their own opinion.)

Yes Michelle, I am much of a Tinker nut.

Another thing I wanted share is WP7 Devices are limited to 8GB or 16GB storage space. Whereas the Androids can be expandable considering the number of movies and TV Shows that I am gonna be storing on the Phone.

Will call you in the night about the whole scenario.

WP7 has almost all the required apps and tons of games, it has already crossed the 50k apps count and is increasing day by day, check out the following articles:

http://www.gsmarena....k-news-3586.php

http://www.theverge....lace-50000-apps

Now between nokia lumia 710 and samsung omnia W: omnia w has SAMOLED screen+ better looks(rest of the specs are same), so i would prefer omnia w

Thats Sweet of WP to reach to the 50K App in such short period.

@OP .

Looking at your usage i would suggest you a android phone as well but if you want to do so much on it the battery life will surely take a beating , i dont even use my S2 much just normal 20-30 max 1hr calling per day , just tinkering arnd for 1 hr and max 1 hr of music , battery lasts not even a day.

I dont know how good WP7 performs in that aspect but if it does perform i doubt you will miss anything much but the wide app-support of android/apple.

Oh-No, I have lots of Calling daily roughly around 5-6 hours a day. Videos would run on an average of 2 hours. Browsing would accumulate to an hour. I found SGR to have Talktime of 22 hours on 2G on Flipkart. Here it is,

http://www.flipkart....35-298d948c5750

I recently bought SE neo v. Not tinkered much or rooted yet around 30 apps installed.

The propriety UI is very smooth, better than most other UIs. Even after almost a month of usage its very smooth especially in all stock apps like messaging and emails and browsing.

And it has hdmi out(cable included in the box
<
) which really helps if you have a hdtv.

Recently watched batman begins 720p mkv on mx video player very smooth using hdmi on my tv.

But we get only 320mb of internal memory to install apps and watching videos using hdmi sucks battery like anything.

Just thought a review might help you as i was in a similar dilemma only my budget was max 18k.

lumia 710 sucks in design doesnt seem worthy of 19k and plus you cant extend memory, just 8gb will get over in a matter of months (My opinions)

With your usage, I don't know whether a Galaxy S2 would cut it or not, but a Omnia W can NOT long that long, I doubt if a Nokia 710 is any longer either.

So Galaxy R would be your best bet, though still not enough for you, you should keep 2 batteries
<

That was our beloved techboi mate!!

@o.p Omnia W is a very good phone,it will serve all your needs,

EXCEPT...for video/movies you have to convert them and the Zune thing can get irritating.

For multimedia(specially video playback) Galaxy R is the best option in your budget.

Back