Android Or Wp7(15-20K)

Hey Guys,

Have decided to pick a phone after a long while. Please Pour in ASAP. Need to get one this week

1. Q: Budget?

A: 15-20K

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Bar

3. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: Prefer Samsung, HTC, Nokia(WP)

4. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

A: Touchscreen

5. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: A Bare minimum of 5 MP with Flash should do good.

6. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

A: Andriod or WP 7.5 Mango

7. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

A: 2G, 3G.and WiFi

8. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?

A: Phone calls, IM, Mails, Internet, Music and TV Shows or Movies( Show be able to handle 720P flawlessly)

9. Q: Any other requirements?

A:The Front Camera would be of great help

10. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.

A: Andriod Platform- Samsung Galaxy R, Moto Defy+, SE XPeria Neo V

Windows Phone Platform- Nokia Lumia 710 or Samsung Omnia W

This Phone is intended to be used atleast for a year and half. Need to be wisely chosen. First can you guys help me out in clearing out differences between a Andriod and WP.

I have managed to handle both the platforms in Hand. But I find WP to be buttersmooth while handling provided of the a year old HW. But simualteneously Android uses a lot of resources. I need a phone which is not laggy and faster for Communication( Like IM's, E-Mail).

Would be of great help if someone could tell me does Android has any of the MS Office application like WP counterparts.

TIA And Cheers,

Avinash

EXCEPT...for video/movies you have to convert them and the Zune thing can get irritating.

For multimedia(specially video playback) Galaxy R is the best option in your budget.

^ Exactly Wp7 is not really ideal for multimedia as you have to use Zune for everything!

Just imagine downloading all the movie and serials and then again waiting to convert it so you can watch it on your phone!

If you are buying this phone primarily for watching movies and other multimedia stuff, I would suggest Android. There are so many applications (mainly free apps) in Android market that will all your entertainment requirement. Moreover, Windows 7.5 Mango is still new in market and it's still getting major upgrades. Android on the other hand is an established OS, whatever updates you receive aren't bugs but improvements. Go for Android..

If you still want to try your hands on the New Windows phone, Omnia W is my suggestion. It's better than Lumia 710. The phone also has a secondary camera plus LED flash. The looks are quite appealing.

to prevent app/music piracy

I don't think that is the reason. It's because MS wants to keep the user experience consistant. Memory cards available in market are of different types and performance varies across Class/Company etc. Also it is more prone to failure compared to internal NAND memory. So going by the Apple logic and KISS principle, it is easier to give only a predefined amount of memory so that user does not have to worry about anything.

Regarding OP's requirements, any Windows Phone device is NOT a good multimedia oriented device. So if that is your basic requirement, DO NOT buy WP7. The only option you have is android or S^3 (excluding Nokia 500).

I don't think that is the reason. It's because MS wants to keep the user experience consistant. Memory cards available in market are of different types and performance varies across Class/Company etc. Also it is more prone to failure compared to internal NAND memory. So going by the Apple logic and KISS principle, it is easier to give only a predefined amount of memory so that user does not have to worry about anything.

If what you say is true then... I have heard lots of ppl complain how the Samsung Omnia W hangs like hell; on the other hand my Focus is just awesome. Which kinda fails ur logic.

However they try to match the experience, the lower spec'd lot of phones are gonna hang, so they might as well put in the SD card slot, or go the Apple way and give a specific set of hardware that WMP 7 can be installed on.

If what you say is true then... I have heard lots of ppl complain how the Samsung Omnia W hangs like hell; on the other hand my Focus is just awesome. Which kinda fails ur logic.

Can you use any memory card (Class 2 to 10 of any company) on your Focus?

However they try to match the experience, the lower spec'd lot of phones are gonna hang, so they might as well put in the SD card slot, or go the Apple way and give a specific set of hardware that WMP 7 can be installed on.

What are you talking about?
<
Isn't MS already doing that? And what is Apple way?
<
When did Apple start licensing their OS to others?

Anyways, what I posted was my opinion and I could be wrong

So, Did you buy the phone?

If not, Here is my recommendation: Samsung Galaxy R

I love Windows phone 7. But there are some restrictions which if not lifted might make WP7 go downhill. My friend has Samsung Focus and some restrictions make it difficult for a power user.

Mainly U need Zune software to connect WindowsPhones to any PC. There is no mass storage detection. So if U go to your friends place and want to take some snaps or Videos, U ll have to install Zune in that PC. And this is the only way as WP7 doesn't support Bluetooth File Transfers. So if you want to upload something to your phone from a PC, you should install Zune in that PC which is pretty annoying and not possible in all scenarios.

Next you said that U watch lot of Video in ur phone. When Uploading videos into WP7, Zune converts them all to native screen resolution for optimum performance and it encodes them into .mp4 files. So you will need long times for uploading videos onto your phone. No avi, mkv, xvid, divx .vob etc are supported natively. They all will be converted to .mp4 by zune.

Yes, there are 50k applications and most of the good applications are already there in Windows Market Place (WMP). But the amount of good free apps is way lesser. For example Angry Birds is free for android. In WMP it costs 150 Rs. So are many other games and apps.

Yes, WP7 is buttersmooth. Yes it has many built in options in OS itself (Like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn integration, Music Recognition, Google Goggle kind of features etc), But all the cons come down to one thing : No USB Mass storage support.

Yes You can hack the phone to support USB mass storage. But then U can use it as only a pen drive. Phone doesnt recognize what all you have stored.

So Go for WP7 if U are not concerned about FREE apps, U dont connect Ur phone much to ur PC, U dont tranfer files via Bluetooth with Ur friends, U use Facebook and Twitter a lot and love to be online all the time.

But If U want to upload something from any PC to ur cell on the go, U want greater hold on what U can do and can live with some lags (lag compared to WP7, not that much lag in reality) then go for Android.

So I suggest U to buy Samsung Galaxy R which is available for 20k in ebay. It has nice 4.2 inch screen too which ll be better for watching videos.

I too am searching for a phone. But I am in no hurry, so will wait for Tango update and will see if it supports USB mass storage mode. If so - WP7, if not - will buy an Android.

Back