Budget 10-15K Android phone 4-4.5 inch with good performance

aadi007

Disciple
Oct 21, 2011
Hi All,

I currently have a Xperia U which developed some problems. So, thinking about buying a new one.

I had 3 problems with Xperia U, which I want to be better in the new phone
1> Small display of 3.5". I think at least 4" is required
2> Less RAM of 512 MB. lags when using multiple apps
3> no SD card slot

So, my requirements in order of priority are as follows -
1> Good build quality, scratch resistant glass, Gorilla glass peferred
2> Good lag-free performance with 1GB RAM and 8GB ROM at least. I am not into gaming though.
3> Good signal reception and call quality
4> Good screen with decent sunlight visibility but size less than 4.5"
5> Good audio quality for music
6> Decent battery life
7> Proximity sensor and ambient light sensor
8> Upgradable to latest Android
9> Camera is not so important but good to have a nice camera
Don't care much about other fancy features.

Based on the above criteria, I have shortlisted a few
Sony Xperia L
Samsung Galaxy S2 (available at ebay)
HTC desire 501.

Out of these, Galaxy S2 seems to be the clear winner. It has got Super AMOLed screen with 16GB memory and Gorilla glass. But it is an old model.
Should I go ahead with that or do you guys have other suggestions?
Thanks for all your replies.

aadi007

Disciple
Oct 21, 2011
Yeah, I did consider it. I think the launch is on 5th Feb.
It has lots of goodies but its pretty big and heavy.. I am looking for a handy phone.

Secondly, I heard that the price of Single SIM model would be 16K or so..

shanx

Disciple
Feb 9, 2013
Moto G would be your best bet. The S2 is over 2 years old and should only be your last resort. As far as Sony Xperia L is concerned, stay away from it. It has a horrible screen and the battery life is pathetic and everybody knows how well sony treats its budget range of handsets to the fresh flavours of android ( read as : YOU AIN'T GETTING IT). I personally have never seen the HTC Desire 501 so can't comment.

Moto G takes care of most your requirements.
1> Good build quality, scratch resistant glass, Gorilla glass peferred - Moto G has Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 and the build is solid
2> Good lag-free performance with 1GB RAM and 8GB ROM at least. - it has 1 GB RAM and 8GB ROM minimum but no expansion
3> Good signal reception and call quality - all sites have reviewed that call quality is GOOD
4> Good screen with decent sunlight visibility but size less than 4.5" - 4.5" screen size with decent sunlight visibility ( compares to the likes of the LG L9)
5> Good audio quality for music - dont know yet
6> Decent battery life - 2070 mAh battery is a no brainer
7> Proximity sensor and ambient light sensor - all there!
8> Upgradable to latest Android - no brainer here moto belongs to google so they will get the updates
9> Camera is not so important but good to have a nice camera - camera is decent for causal use

So you see the moto g is good for your usage pattern that you chalked out. Also if it does retail for 16k, why not save up now till 5th feb ??

aadi007

Disciple
Oct 21, 2011
Hey shanx,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
I am definitely interested in Moto G. There are some concerns I have -
1> it is pretty bulky at 143gm...I do not want a big phone. I want something easy to carry and can be operated with one hand. Once Moto G is launched, I will see how it feels in my hand and then decide
2> What about after sales support? As per the news today, Google is selling Motorola to Lenovo. Don't know it will help with regards to service and support.
3> Moto G will only be launched in dual SIM version.. I have heard some problems with dual SIM phones and I do not need the extra SIM
4> No SD card slot...this is probably not a major concern as I can go with the 16 GB version if it is priced sensibly.

16K for 16GB version of Moto G is probably fine with me as long as the 1st concern is taken care of.

In case I dont like Moto G, are there any other options?[DOUBLEPOST=1391063153][/DOUBLEPOST]Can anyone tell me what's the problem with Galaxy S2? I know its more than 2 years old but that is not a problem for me as long as it meets my requirements.
Also, lot of custom ROMs and even kitkat update is available for S2. So, I don't see any problem at all. In fact, I am very much inclined to buy it.

Can anyone tell me what's the issue if I go with S2?[DOUBLEPOST=1391064333][/DOUBLEPOST]The one phone which meets all my requirements and more is the S4 mini but its priced at 19-20K which is above my budget.
if it was around 15-16K, I would have bought with in a flash

Last edited:

shanx

Disciple
Feb 9, 2013
Yeah just read about the Lenovo-Motorola deal! Their former owner got what they wanted from the company and now its no longer needed, pretty shrewd.
Anyways coming back to your phone queries! Yes at 143g its kinda bulky and i personally dislike dual sim phones too!

There is a buy back offer for the S4 mini going on i think cause it came in the The Telegraph on sunday or so! Check that out and see how much you get with your current phone! also why not save up and get the s4 mini. I don't think you will be changing your phone anytime in the next 2 years!

Also if you are really bent on getting the S2, then i think you should cause in the end you will be using it and you should be totally satisfied with it, else it just dont feel like a good buy!!!!! :)

I will update you on the buyback offer!

aadi007

Disciple
Oct 21, 2011
Thank you shanx... will wait for your news on the buyback offer.
With regards to S2, do you see any issue other than its an old model?

About the budget, I can definitely afford a S4 mini.... but I somehow dont feel like spending so much on a mobile :p