Android phone buying advice

adityeah

Disciple
Hi,

I am new to this vibrant community and this is my first post.

I need to buy a new smartphone (I just sold my HTC 3452!) Here's the filled template:

1. Q: Budget?
A: 10-11k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: HVGA

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: I am avoiding LG and Samsung because I do not trust the brands. Motorola Defy is out of my budget.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: 3 MP and above.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: I am NOT into heavy gaming. I'll mostly use it for checking email, social networking, twitter and web surfing, online reading.

10. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: OK - I've considered two. Dell XCD35 and the upcoming HTC Explorer.

Please allow me to tell a little about what I feel about the phones. I have used my last HTC for 3 years and I felt its a very durable phone. I think the build quality of HTC phones is way better than LG or Samsung but I could be wrong. Anyway, till Dell XCD 35, I was sure of buying the upcoming HTC explorer as it's display quality will be better than Wildfire.

With Dell XCD 35, I am a little confused. First of all, officially Dell is not willing to recognize the fact that it comes with a 512 MB RAM. I am not sure if it really comes with it though. I went to the Dell Store in Bangalore the other day and they said it comes with 256 MB RAM but the dealer at Sangeetha, in Forum mall here claims that it has 512 MB. Of course, I have read here on numerous posts that it comes with 512 MB. A doubt - if it really comes with 512 MB RAM, is it usable and unlocked? Or do I need to do something to unlock it? I know this Dell phone is great for reading, surfing etc but what prevents me from buying is that its already an year old, maybe on it's decline and surely Android ICS can't be ported on it while I am certain that HTC explorer will have the ability to port Android ICS because it will come shipped with Android 2.3.5.

By the way, has anyone got any first hand reviews (apart from the ones posted online now) about Explorer? As far as I know, the phone is not yet available in the stores while flipkart/letsbuy have been taking orders for it with a 5 day delivery promise. Can anyone tell me if it's available anywhere in Bangalore?

Please do reply all you can! Thank you!!

Just 2 cents from my side. The Dell XCD35 has 256 MB RAM and 512 MB ROM. Vendors might be confused between the two. I would go for the mobile that has more RAM if I have to decide between the two. More RAM = more responsive device.

And if you haven't done the comparison yet check this

djmykey said:
Just 2 cents from my side. The Dell XCD35 has 256 MB RAM and 512 MB ROM. Vendors might be confused between the two. I would go for the mobile that has more RAM if I have to decide between the two. More RAM = more responsive device.

And if you haven't done the comparison yet check this
Gen 1 xcd 35 had 256 ram, the current crop of xcd 35 have 512 mb ram available

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Back