Android Smart watch

speccy48

Recruit
Hi
I am impressed with Apple Series 9 & 10 GPS watches. But I am a die hard Android Fan
So which are the best options for me.
As I am a Sr Citizen, I am looking for a large dial, long battery life and features like ECG, Heart Rate alerts, Sleep Apnea, Fall alert to name a few.
Budget is not a constraint as I was keen to go for Apple Watch but then held back and decided to get some quality feedback here.

Thanks

1. Google Pixel Watch 3
2. Whoop band

I would strongly recommend going through Quantified Scientist youtube channel to make a informed decision.
This guy is a scientist working in biomedical field. He regularly tests different wearables for their accuracy and posts his results without any bias.

Android has no competitor to Apple watch if you want accurate readings, if your main usecase is just monitoring, then Garmin is the only choice for you

Android has no competitor to Apple watch if you want accurate readings,
Samsung is catching up. Step counter is more accurate since gen 4 than Apple.

Was not aware of these devices over counting or under counting and what the correction factor is :)
if your main usecase is just monitoring, then Garmin is the only choice for you
This might be worth looking at.

But the bottom line is pick whatever watch as your brand of phone as they may not play well with each other.

Garmin would work well with both I would think

Samsung is catching up. Step counter is more accurate since gen 4 than Apple.
yeah but still not comparable to Apple at all, you can watch the quantified scientist's reviews for your conclusion, for me atleast, there's still a long way to go
But the bottom line is pick whatever watch as your brand of phone as they may not play well with each other.

Garmin would work well with both I would think
Garmin has a basic integration with both ios/Apple, but if you want "smart" features like gallery on your watch etc, then Garmin is not for you. Garmin makes watches primarily for athletes/hikers, and their stuff is geared towards them

What i noticed is this guy is a senior citizen and he is looking for a watch with accurate heart features...specifically watch that notifies regarding irregular heart rhythms, fall alert, ecg....in that case the best choice would be Google Pixel Watch 3...rest of the android watches lack many advanced heart features or if present are just for the namesake with no accuracy...

Since i have these health concerns i myself use Google Pixel Watch 2 to monitor my health condition

I have had several Garmin watches and had friend using Apple watch too.

I will strongly suggest Apple watch if Heart rate and accuracy is of highest priority.
But hate the battery life on all its watches.

Samsung also I have used but it was galaxy 2 (iirc) . It's accuracy was quite poor tbh but the watch was good.

Having said that Garmin is very close too in terms of accuracy. With great battery life.

Other brands like Whoop and Coros all have some amazing reviews too.

If I was in place for buying a watch. Here is the thing if I need a watch for accuracy but okay with charging everyday ....I would go definitely go for Apple.

If I need really good life and equally good accuracy... I would go for Garmin.

If I am on bit of budget but ready to adjust slightly with accuracy .. I'd go for Coros.
This Chinese brand is offering great watches for really amazing prices. Their accuracy is very close too.

I just read the part about you mentioning that you are Senior citizen... definitely go for Apple.

It has really saved life. A sort of One incident has happened in front of me only.
Where I had to stop a friend from hiking when his heart beat has spiked very high and even on resting it was warning signs.

Had I pushed him further things could have gone wrong too.

So go for Apple if health is important.

...in that case the best choice would be Google Pixel Watch 3...
This is certainly one Google product we have no issues getting in India

What's the options for service if needed?

^ I don't see pixel watch under list of devices they repair?

Only shows phones

^ I don't see pixel watch under list of devices they repair?

Only shows phones

I won't recommend pixel watch to anyone simply because even Google has admitted it's not repairable, it's a straight replacement. might want to keep that in mind before you buy it

Only two walk in centres for now in Delhi & bangalore. Bombay will come soon.

These centres are seemingly designed to offer the highest levels of service for a wide range of Google products available in India, including Pixel phones, Pixel Watch, Pixel Buds, as well as FitBit and Nest devices.

This article mentions watch which is no where to be found on Google's watch support for India

Hi
I am impressed with Apple Series 9 & 10 GPS watches. But I am a die hard Android Fan
So which are the best options for me.
As I am a Sr Citizen, I am looking for a large dial, long battery life and features like ECG, Heart Rate alerts, Sleep Apnea, Fall alert to name a few.
Budget is not a constraint as I was keen to go for Apple Watch but then held back and decided to get some quality feedback here.

Thanks
If you have an iPhone, Apple Watch is your only solid option. Apple Watch has been iterative since series 6. Between 6 and 10, get whichever has best offer. ECG on Apple Watch is single node reading and cannot be taken seriously. Sleep apnea is over rated. Heart rate alerts are very useful though and there are not many that can match accuracy of Apple Watch. I use series 6 mainly for cycling and workouts and it is solid.
Apple Watch does not work with Android btw.

I won't recommend pixel watch to anyone simply because even Google has admitted it's not repairable, it's a straight replacement. might want to keep that in mind before you buy it
Who even repairs smartwatches ? It is straightup replacement if it is under warranty or a paperweight if out of warranty. You openup a smartwatch for repair the waterproofing goes poofff...most of the reputed brands of smartwatches have a very good build quality that lasts several years given that you take good care of it...

Who even repairs smartwatches ? It is straightup replacement if it is under warranty or a paperweight if out of warranty. You openup a smartwatch for repair the waterproofing goes poofff...most of the reputed brands of smartwatches have a very good build quality that lasts several years given that you take good care of it...
Bhai, Apple Watch series 6 display replacement cost is 7k. New Series 10 costs about 47k. I won't throw my watch away if display is gone. Same is the case with battery change. Battery change costs 4.5k and I am planning to get it replaced as I am not getting full day battery life. No way I am going to throw it away just coz battery is now weak.

It is straightup replacement if it is under warranty or a paperweight if out of warranty.
Question is if they will honour the warranty in India?
You openup a smartwatch for repair the waterproofing goes poofff...
With Gshocks its a question of changing the gasket. Ideally there should be a device that checks the watch for depth but that is not available in India. So won't be able to go diving with it down to 200m like when it was new but doing the dishes is fine
most of the reputed brands of smartwatches have a very good build quality that lasts several years given that you take good care of it...
Yeah, this is what we have to bank on.

Keep in mind its not difficult to bump the dial somewhere and crack it.

What do you do then and how much does it cost with this replacement only agreement?

Question is if they will honour the warranty in India?
They will have to. They are obliged to follow Indian Laws if they are doing business here.
With Gshocks its a question of changing the gasket. Ideally there should be a device that checks the watch for depth but that is not available in India. So won't be able to go diving with it down to 200m like when it was new but doing the dishes is fine
Gshock uses gasket...most of the brands use sticky glue to seal their watches...if the technicians repairing the watch are not careful there is a high chance the glue after repairs is not waterproof...
Keep in mind its not difficult to bump the dial somewhere and crack it.
Using a good protective case for such expensive devices is a must and if by chance you break it and it is out of warranty there are places in india where jugadu repairs can be performed...and if that also fails then time to say Goodbye ..

Last edited:
Back