Less than 10K Android with good battery life and display in less than 8k

Mechanic

Skilled
Hi guys,
i'm in the market to buy an Android mobile in about less than 8k

1. Budget?
A: 8k

2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: any brand which has good after sales service

5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: no preferences, flash is a plus

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: no preference

9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Watch movies(sd) and play games

10. Any other requirements?
A: Developer community support is a big plus.

11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Micromax Ninja A89, Huawei Ascend Y300

+1 to Pantech Burst. 4" Super Ammoled screen, 1 GB ram, 16 GB internal memory + micro SD support, 5 MP camera with LED light (average cam though), 1.5 dual core processor and reasonable build quality (I have dropped it 5-6 times already from reasonably low height and no noticeable dents so far.

Neg - NO support in India whatsoever, Comes to around 9k now which is 1k over budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Err, practically ALL budget devices use a Pentile display including the Note 1 and the latest Samsung Galaxy S4 though the S4 has extremely high PPI to offset that disadvantage.

And yes the Pantech Burst is my only phone.

Dev support is slim TBH. There are just 2 custom ROMs that I am aware off.

Some Burst devices come with GB but there is an official update to ICS.

TBH if you compare the screen of the Burst with any device sub 13k the Burst will win anytime if you like SAmoled colours. The Samsung Advance S with a similar screen is the only competitor at 13k or so after discounts. That too btw has a Pentile display and very similar performance to the Pantech though of course you get full warranty and support in India.

@Brendon: hi, I am also interested in the pantech burst but I am reading some bad things about it's battery life. How is it holding up for you? And have you tried any of the custom ROMs. Are any of them good enough to be used as a daily driver? Thanks.

battery life is very good according to me. I dont use data much, only when i need to check fb/watsapp. still it lasts me around 30-35 hours on a single charge. Drops t0 96-97% from 100% during my sleeping duration (6-8 hours). Pretty good I will say !

Thanks @harryneopotter

Guys any idea where can i buy Pantech Burst? what is the lowest price i can get it for?
it seems that there is little to no dev support for Pantech Burst and some people are complaining that the battery don't even last them a day,

it is this reason why i was contemplating Huawei y300 in the first place, does anyone have any experience about Huawei y300? and their after sales service?

I don't have the best experience with the battery life of the Burst actually. It lasts 1 day easily but I don't use the phone a lot. Maybe 15-20 mins of gaming with 30 mins browsing and another 30 mins - 1 hr of calling and by the end of the day the battery is about dead. If I game for a much longer time then it doesn't fully last a day !

And yes zero support in India.

I am currently using 1 of the only 2 ROMs that I know of and it works well but nothing much gained over stock ROM.

Frankly I am loving this phone only for the screen. I have seen most of the budget phone IPS and other screens and the blacks and colours of the Amoled screens (IMO) is far better than whats available on most budget phones.

I don't have the best experience with the battery life of the Burst actually. It lasts 1 day easily but I don't use the phone a lot. Maybe 15-20 mins of gaming with 30 mins browsing and another 30 mins - 1 hr of calling and by the end of the day the battery is about dead. If I game for a much longer time then it doesn't fully last a day !

And yes zero support in India.

I am currently using 1 of the only 2 ROMs that I know of and it works well but nothing much gained over stock ROM.

Frankly I am loving this phone only for the screen. I have seen most of the budget phone IPS and other screens and the blacks and colours of the Amoled screens (IMO) is far better than whats available on most budget phones.
Nice :D
i guess i will keep the burst at a stock JellyBean Rom (is that available yet?)
about the colors and contrast, is being 262k color not a handicap for the phone? (over 16m colors)
could you give me the link where you bought the phone? or somewhere i could get a good deal on this phone?

I really don't know specs of screens and stuff but I have compared the Burst with other budget phones side by side and found the Burst to be noticeably better.

This is mainly due to the Amoled screen which has 100% blacks. Normal LCD and even IPS displays cannot display blacks as 100% causing a lower visible contrast.

I bought the phone from ebay global. Prices fluctuate every day. :(

There is no planned JB update and I doubt there ever will be an update so you will have to be content with ICS if you choose to get this phone.

This is the cheapest I have seen from a reputed seller.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/NEW-PANTECH-...10752?pt=IN_Mobile_Phones&hash=item589bce4d60

If you use a coupon you can get a further 500 bucks discount or so.

Back