Budget 10-15K android/WP8 phone for a friend - camera, internet

X-jo

Disciple
This is for my friend, he needs an android phone

1. Budget?
A: 15k
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: any
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Future proof.
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required just a 5MP camera. Flash.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android/Windows 8
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 2g/wifi
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, mails and internet, whatsapp.
10. Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim/require dual sim/etc.
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: LG Optimus L9

he needs a one day battery lasting phone.. for emails, browsing, fb, whatsapp.. very slight gaming, videography not imp but decent pics should the camera take.. and he would like to have it for one year minimum with no issues , like no lag[while using small apps ie not heavy stuff]

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Future proof.

In terms of ?
Considering OS version, at this Budget I would suggest Lumia 720 in WP8 section. It has massive battery and very good camera too. In droids you can get Samsung Galaxy S Advance (will remain on 4.1.2) and Sony Xperia L. However do note that battery life on mentioned droids will be no where near to that of Lumia 720. Since Lumia 720 is a WP8 device app department is incipient. Though popular apps are present on WP8. Also WP8 will be having support on terms of OS update for 15 months as per MS.

In terms of ?
Considering OS version, at this Budget I would suggest Lumia 720 in WP8 section. It has massive battery and very good camera too. In droids you can get Samsung Galaxy S Advance (will remain on 4.1.2) and Sony Xperia L. However do note that battery life on mentioned droids will be no where near to that of Lumia 720. Since Lumia 720 is a WP8 device app department is incipient. Though popular apps are present on WP8. Also WP8 will be having support on terms of OS update for 15 months as per MS.

as in he would not need to change his phone for a year... it should be enough to use the minimal required apps without any lag.. but the best for that budget.. WP8 is also not an issue.. he is not used to android's vastness.. just mail/whatsapp/IMs/facebook/good call reception/good 2g/3g reception and a durable phone... nothing more.. and yes little bit of gaming which is not the highest priority.. but yes he wouldn't want to pay for apps hoping the above is all free then WP8 is fine. Android version is not an issue for him, he just needs it to be working fine.. and neither are updates a bother for him.. so even if on 4.1.2 its fine.

All the initial requirements stated above are met by Lumia. WP8 is smooth. However quite a good amount of games on WP8 are paid. So in case if his heart diverts to Games he will be in trouble but if not then WP8 is best suited. OTOH Android will give apps/games free of cost but as said above battery will be on down side.

All the initial requirements stated above are met by Lumia. WP8 is smooth. However quite a good amount of games on WP8 are paid. So in case if his heart diverts to Games he will be in trouble but if not then WP8 is best suited. OTOH Android will give apps/games free of cost but as said above battery will be on down side.

checked with him, he doesn't want to buy games and is fine if its not free.. just the other stuff i mentioned should be free whatsapp, fb and all that in WP8... if so then 720 sounds good.. what do you suggest, getting it online or from local shop? where online would it be cheaper but with the same warranty and all?

thanks man

I am a Nokia fan and Nokia 720 will be an awesome device. Nokia is built like a tank. But however I feel wp7/8 still lags as an OS. Android is way to go.

I'll prefer the Samsung Galaxy Grand, Sony Xperia L.

Yeah WP8 still has a ways to go to be truly complete. I bought Android without planning on playing games and stuff but seeing so many options available I started using the market place quite a bit.

Also if you want a phone with a big screen size then Android is your only choice in this budget. The LG L9 is a very decent phone within your budget if you want a 4.7 inch screen.

None of the Android phones will match the battery life or camera quality of the Lumia but you will get tons of more apps available to try out and all of the phones will easily last a day.

Whatsapp is not that good on WP8, although a huge update is expected but no release date.
what is not good abt whatsapp on WP8? he uses whatsapp most of the day so that is a must if he is to buy a WP8 device.. if whatsapp works then Lumia 720 is the one for him according to all the reviews I have see here and elsewhere..

The current whatsapp uses an audio streaming API in WP8 to stay alive for notification of new messages.
This results in battery drain and also inconsistent notifications for some users.

I've heard that whatsapp in WP8 cant saved upload videos or save sent videos to phone. How about the LG OP L9 compared to Lumia 720. Battery seems good in L9 too. 4gig internal RAM issue is ok, I will root it for him help him out if he needs more internal space. Any better phone(android) than LG OP L9 in this budget?

Whatsapp update is coming very soon. Its a major rehaul so they are taking their time making sure its better. I would get the 720 in a heart beat. The camera is absolutely fabulous, and the battery life spectacular and the colours makes sure you get a lot of attention :)

Whatsapp even now works pretty well. I simply open the app every 20 min and notifications are the only problem due to the unconventional way they used for keeping the service alive.

Back