pic17.jpg

Director: Shankar

Cast:

Vikram

Vivek

Sada

Nedumudi Venu

Stunt Choreography: Peter Hyne

My first impression after the movie was “Holy Macaroni! How the heck did Shankar pull off this movie for 30 crores ?†Yes, the movie does have the typical Tamil style larger than life elements and some take-offs from Hollywood (esp fight scenes), but apart from that the movie is a ONE GREAT ACTION THRILLER!!! When I saw Dhoom (Hindi) I thought it was one of the best executed thrillers in Indian cinema (it still is.) But Anniyan changed that !. The acting of Vikram is simply amazing. He truly is a great actor of Tamil.

pic14.jpg

A faint outline of the story will be that Amby (Vikram) is a Brahmin who lives so righteously and according to the law that he cannot stand people breaking even the lightest of laws. He tries to bring the people to justice under the law but fails a lot of times. But things change when the night falls this simple man turns into Anniyan- a being with supernatural abilites who has only one aim- that is to punish the wrong-doers. Amby when turned down by his lover (Sadha), transform into Remo a super-cool dude who is destined to win the lady’s heart.

pic12.jpg

The action sequences are choreographed by the great Peter Hyne. It is amazing. They have even tried to reconstruct the Agent Smith-Neo fight scene into an Anniyan-Martial arts trainees fight at the Martial arts academy. The re-creation is not as bad as I thought. The 360 degree bullet-time shots were also not bad. As far as acting is concerned Vikram is just tremendous ! The multiple personality transformations in Amby is done with ease by Vikram. The songs has nothing to brag about. They could have done it better.

pic11.jpg

But one low point about the film is you ask me is that the story should have had more depth to it. At times the story-line looses its importance and kind of tries to question the audience’s intelligence. And also they could have managed not to just copy the entire action sequence from Matrix. They could have done something more “original†If they had looked into these matters the film could have been legendary! And as far as Shankar is concerned he is repeating the his old story line again but this time its done with more style.

The film is certainly worth a watch!

LOL the forums are full of anniyan's review :D Where ever i go i see The REview!!

By the way i wanted to see the movie today or tommorow but it's full till tuesday and till tuesday only they are giving out the tickets!!!

This man shankar is a total brand name in Tamil cinema.. this film is doing better business than wht rajnikant's film did , till it had run!

Yes.

The movie is going big in all South states. The tickets are super tight even here in Kerala.

Know what? The producers of Rajani's film persuaded the producers of Anniyan to release Anniyan only after 50 days after Chandramukhi's release.

Btw,in Hindi Shankar has directed Nayak (Anil Kapoor), Hindustani (Kamal Haasan).

Hindustani was a dubbed and not remade.

Yes.. the film was actually ready to be launched along with the other films on april 14th...

Download it... ? First of all we are not supposed to discuss abt these stuffs and moreover it's a film we can enjoy only when we see at theaters... morever the print wont be good... I will rather be lazy than to download it off the net.

Also they have spend a lot of money.. if we dont watch in theaters how can we expect such high budget good movies in future?

Saw trailers of this movie when i watched Mr & Mrs Smith in theaters.
gr8 special effects & stunts.

This will be a southindian movie which i wud like to watch but wont understand what they say ;)

I was earlier confused if this is a Indian Movie or Hollywood Movie.
Gr8 Stunts.

There is also a Yana Gupta Item Song in this movie.
Hope i get to see a Hindi Dubbed Version of this movie.

Yes. That's one of the put downs according to my opinion. Why do the Indian film makers always have to rip-off? :no:

Quad Master said:
I was earlier confused if this is a Indian Movie or Hollywood Movie.

Gr8 Stunts.

Yeah. Almost all the people behind this film are from Hollywood except for the director, actors and producer. lol.

Radon posted 3.3 minutes later:

bluediamond said:
i thot it was anyan..
anyways.. thnks for review..

Yeah, in Mallu we can call it Anyan. :p

IndiaGlitz.com said:
Last week, we had carried a report that Anniyan has already history and was awaiting more history.

We were indeed prophetic.

Anniyan's collections have been hundred per cent wherever it has been released. It is something that has never happened before, say trade pundits.

Of course, it was bound to do well in Tamil Nadu. But the fact that it is doing well in places like Kerala, Karnataka and Andhr Pradesh is what is making Anniyan special.

Vikram's amazing chameleon act in the last sequences is winning applause in almost every theater. In the distant US too, the film is touted to be a huge grosser.

Vikram and Shankar, who sweated out for this film like never before, deserve every bit of accolade that is coming their way.

Meanwhile, reports suggest that Vikram's next movie Maja, which went to floors on June 17th, may go for a title change.

Original report

Back