Annoying pop-up ads on Vodafone

bhupatib

Disciple
I think this is some new kind of mobile advertising where ''Interactive'' ads pops-up regularly, interrupting whatever you are doing and shows some stupid quiz etc (irrespective of handset used). Kind of like the balance summary popup after a call...
I'm using a new Vodafone sim on a S60 phone and have all the necessary defenses (spam manager, adblocker) installed and registered with DND but still I can't block this...its very annoying and causes accidental clicks due to its sudden nature and charges rs3/click!

Google doesn't help much although i have read few articles about similar popup ads in the US that required installing an java app thus involving some sort of user consent but this case is different as there was no apps installed...

I don't prefer taking legal stance on such issues coz so far i was able to easily block mobile spam but this is something!
Have you guys experienced something like this? What do you suggest? Is there any way to block such ads?

i don't think so....its like that PCI stuff but instead of balance info it shows ''How films katrina kaif has done with akshay kumar'' (among many other bulls@@t)...has an ok button..which cost rs3/click, is NOT a sms, pops up anywhere, in any app your using and doesn't have a turn off option! :(
hope its clear...i'll try and post some pics..

^ MNP / alternate SIM - they are dirt cheap nowadays in any case. Also browsing is much cheaper on other operators. I got myself a Virgin just for this reason - and also because calls and SMS are cheaper there - and touchwood, have no complaints so far.

bhupatib said:
I think this is some new kind of mobile advertising where ''Interactive'' ads pops up regularly, interrupting whatever your doing and presents you an 'OK' button for some stupid quiz etc (irrespective of handset used). Kind of like the balance summary popup after a call...

I'm using a new Vodafone sim on a S60 phone and have all the necessary defenses (spam manager, adblocker) installed and registered with DND but still I can't block this...its very annoying and causes accidental clicks due to its sudden nature and charges rs3/click!

Google doesn't help much although i have read few articles about similar popup ads in the US that required installing an java app thus involving some sort of user consent but this case is different as there was no apps installed...

I don't prefer taking legal stance on such issues coz so far i was able to easily block mobile spam but this is something!

Have you guys experienced something like this? What do you suggest? Is there any way to block such ads?
I have a Vodafone number too but I am not facing this issue. Vodafone has what it calls 'flash messages' (or something equivalent). You will find it in Vodafone menu in your phone. Deactivate it. All the annoying pop-ups will stop.

Its totally annoying, i agree too! Whenever I'm typing some msg, this thing pops up.. and before you know it, you would've selected some option and it would've charged you 3 bucks!

I wonder if this would help. But it may be only for unwanted telemarketing calls.

Go to sim toolkit and deactivate FLASH! there .That should fix i did the same after i got busted 35 bucks and it worked for me ,VF $ucks these days they activate what ever service they want :mad: :mad: :mad:.MNP come fast will ditch VF instantly

thnx for the info paraman & metalspree...tried deactivating, it said 'sending message' and i've been ads free till now although no confirmation came about its status...so i guess It Works!

BTW being a die hard Docomo fan, i wouldn't have taken any other carrier let alone Vodafone (which shares the title with Airtel for being the worst) if reception wasn't an issue in this area..and sadly in compariosn Vodafone gives some great coverage for all the crap it comes with!

bhupatib, I faced the same problem when I got a new vodafone sim. Its irritating on one hand, otoh it eats up battery because the screen keeps turning on. Please go to Vodafone in your menu, and disable flash services/messages and this will stop. I called up the customer care to lodge a complaint and thats when they told me the solution. But I think it will reactivate whenever you remove sim and put it again.

You just had to deactivate FLASH! via Sim Tools. I've never been harassed as I'm still using a Hutch simcard and I'm guessing it doesn't support that feature.

It has stopped now after deactivating FLASH!...
DND took care of the calls and Webgate SMS Spam Manager for s60 fixed the rest... I'm Ad free finally!
Thnx for chipping in guys!

blueren said:
Its totally annoying, i agree too! Whenever I'm typing some msg, this thing pops up.. and before you know it, you would've selected some option and it would've charged you 3 bucks!
True. :| Vodafone sucks these days.

Found the solution:

Vodafone services (SIM options) > FLASH! > Alert > Deactivate :)

Vodafone cust care on twitter is about a million times better than the usual way..

Back