Another HTPC. This time, everything needed :-)

SumitB

Adept
I just finished the last build with the i3 processor and everything now works to my liking. No further issues with the playback. GUI to my liking. Performance to my liking.

Now, I just sold my 2 month old AcRyan PlayOn!HD and am in the market to make myself another HTPC. This time, I need everything that goes into the cabinet. As is the norm, I will post using the template :bleh:

Questions

Q: What is your budget?
The lower the better

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
None

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
NA

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU
Motherboard
GPU - GT430 was what I was eyeing
RAM
HDD
PSU
Cabinet - I am planning on getting the Cooler Master 360 Elite.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Final Configuration

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Maybe

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
HTPC running XBMC.

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
No Gaming

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Full HD. Need to connect this to my 50" Full HD Plasma over HDMI.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

Processor AMD Athlon II x2 250 2700

Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M-LE 2700

RAM Corsair Value DDR3 1333MHz CL9 2GB 1200

GPU I think u've already decided :p

HDD Seagate 7200.12 500GB 1700

Cabinet NZXT GAMMA 2100

PSU FSP SagaII 350w 1500

Total 11900

Buy NZXT Gamma... it is better than Elite 360 and has good space behind the motherboard tray to hide the wires... :)

A dual core processor wud b better as u r going to run win7 64bit on this rig...

Nope this is the best board for htpc which is selling for 2.7k other boards will cost u higher... And i cant suggest u a 785G chipset mobo coz 785G chipset mobos have been discontinued... And a decent 880G mobo wud cost u some 3.9 k some 1.2k higher...

@m-jeri: lol! To each his own :bleh:

@Hades: Thank You. I will try to get a quote tomorrow.

@Hailstone: Zacate is yet to prove its credentials in the real world scenario. Looks promising though. For the time being, I will avoid going the zacate way.

ASUS M4A88T-M LE(SB 710) i have the same mobo, quality board cost me 4.1k has all the features but only two DIMMs(I never used more than 2)

It can handle bluray with a dual core

Actually I am again in a dilemma here. I had to sell off my earlier AMD build due to lack of support for AMD in my region. Today I spent some time with the dealers in Guwahati and concluded that I should not take a chance again with AMD. As of now, I have decided to get the following:

Intel i3 540 Clarkdale - 5200/-

Asus P7H55D-M or the Asus P7H55D-M Evo - 6000/- (for the P7H55D-M)

2x2GB DDR3 - 2400/-

Some cheap but decent Power Supply - 2000/- (suggestions please)

Cooler Master 360 Elite Chassis - 1950/-

500GB Hard Drive - 1750/-

Yeah, I am overshooting my budget here but I don't want to regret later. With AMD, I have lost money once and don't want to do it again.

As per a few users who are using this mainboard on avsforums are vouching for the HD encoding capabilities of the onboard GPU. So I will give it a shot without a dedicated GPU and if I need it, I will get the GT430 later.

Any changes/advise/comments will be appreciated.

For the information of those who are advocating an AMD build, the thing is that no dealer in North East India stocks AMD. According to them, AMD does not offer any after sales service in NE and if something is to go wrong, I would be on my own. I want to avoid this scenario as far as possible. Had this not been the case, going for an AMD build with this one would be a no-brainer.

SumitB said:
Some cheap but decent Power Supply - 2000/- (suggestions please)

Gigabyte Superb 460w ~ 1950

Alternate Option - FSP Saga II 400w ~ 1900

i wudn't advice u to buy GT430 now coz even 540 IGP can parse lossless audio and wud b able to handle HD movies wid ease...

Yes Hades, I too have heard good things about the IGP about its abilities to bitstream and HD playback. Banking on that for now. If needed, GT430 can always be got.

About the PSU, how much does the Corsair VX450 cost? I have 3 of these babies and not one has blinked in the last 2 years. If the difference is not huge, I may get this only.

Back