PC Peripherals Another HTPC thread. This is what I have come up with.. what do you guys think?

DanDroiD

Skilled
The idea was for relatively low wattage and quiet. I have the whole setup priced at around $650.00 shipped including tax

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Steel HTPC 2000B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active

SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal

You dont really need Phenom II X3 for the HTPC to be honest.

You can settle for 65W Athlon II X2 245 or 240.

Also buy SAPPHIRE 100277HDMI Radeon HD 4770. Its actually better. costs same and runs cooler.

Other than this, everything looks ok.

You are right about the cpu, but I am buying it from NewEgg and I get a little bit of a break when I buy it together with the Mboard so it will cost $178.00 for mboard and cpu and a $10 rebate for total cost of $168.00....it's pretty cheap. ;)

I will check on the video card though :D thanks

Actually I suggested that CPU to even lower your power and cooling requirements.

Then you can run the entire htpc without any additional fans on passive cpu cooling ( only fans for cabby would do)

Shripad said:
Actually I suggested that CPU to even lower your power and cooling requirements.
Then you can run the entire htpc without any additional fans on passive cpu cooling ( only fans for cabby would do)

+1.
he's right about the proccy.
Also,why not get a 1TB WD Green instead of 640GB HDD.

Shripad said:

Yah I was aware of that, but I was hoping for a better proccy, and I want to keep the price under $700.00 and I don't want to have to update in a year or two :p It is very hard coming up with the right combo and I wanted to try to order everything from one place so I don't have to pay multiple shipping fee's.

There are some other low wattage proccys but of course the lower watts are more expensive, I think I may go for an 80w instead of the 95 I had picked because I can get a slightly better deal. I may need to bite the bullet and order some parts from another place. :)

I guess I could look at some intel 45w proccys too... will update and ask you guys again in a couple of days .. thanks for the advice :D

Also,why not get a 1TB WD Green instead of 640GB HDD

Will look into this and check on prices... thanks

Back