Another router suggestion. turning home and desktop to Wi-Fi.

Hello all,

I know this question has been asked and dealt with in many threads before but there seems to be no real 'Best Router' out there.
Same thing works great for some and OK for others. Have gone through all threads of 2 pages of this forum. But my situation is a little different.

Till now i have a desktop connected to a wired BSNL broadband on airtel (beetel 220bx ADSl2+) modem. It works just fine. So was happy with it.
I recently ordered a Laptop and am expecting to get delivery soon. So would be needing Wi-Fi connectivity now :)

Also my desktop is in the front room and am thinking of taking it to a different room which has an AC. But my broadband is wired till front room only.

So i am thinking of putting a router in the front room along with the modem and putting a PCI or USB wifi adapter in my desktop computer and use it in the back room.
The distance is around 16 meter across 3 walls.

My Questions:

1) What router should i get that would give me good signal strength till 16-20 meter? (preferably within 2k max budget 3k)
2) Should i get a PCI card OR PCIex card OR USB card to put on my desktop for using the WiFi? (i think a PCi ex would provide more speed or is it same as USB)
3) If i am going to get an expensive router then i would like if it can perform night downloads with the PC off?

4) Will all this wireless networking give good results or should i just get the BSNL wiring extended to my back room and put a cheap ~Rs1000 router for using internet on my laptop.

Based on reading the threads here i have seen that AUS N-13U is generally accepted as the best router out there? but there have been some firmware issues.
Also D-Link 2750 has earned great reviews here:
http://www.techenclave.com/networking/query-regarding-d-link-dsl-131927/

Brand wise i would like ASUS, D-LINK, Buffalo or TP-Link (not netgear or cisco linksys)
All suggestions and criticisms welcomed.

even I had the similar situation, wired BSNL connection and need to have WiFi for my mobile and for my sis's Ipad3 and since the BSNL modem was more than 3yrs old, I decided to buy a router+modem and got the D-Link 2750 for Rs. 2338 from ShopClues.com

Having the modem in one room with the doors closed (a/c) i get good or full coverage in the next room which is some 4meters away.. haven't tried for 16-20 meters though..may be will check with my mobile by getting out of the house :)

1) Let someone else answer this one as I'm honestly not too familiar with routers in that range. Although, a lot of people do swear by the Asus RT-N13. What firmware issues have you heard of? Most people using this router usually flash DD-WRT (third party fimware) which adds more functionality and possibly performance too.
2) Not sure if there are any PCIex cards out there, but most of the newer ones I've seen are USB. The advantage of a USB adapter is that you can move it around a bit for better reception, using a USB extension cord. Can't really do that with a PCI card! :D
3) Most routers with a USB port allow you to connect your HDD to it and run your torrent downloads on the router itself. The RT-N13 is one of them. There's a whole thread here on how to accomplish that.
4) With wireless, nothing is 100% certain thanks to the inherent susceptibility of wireless connections to various types of interference, so yeah, getting BSNL to extend your wiring would be one sure-shot way to guarantee connectivity in the backroom. If it's easily accomplished, might be worth a shot.

Any specific reason as to why not Cisco/Linksys routers? I ask because they're the only routers I've ever used, having started with a WRT54G and currently using an E3000 & E4200, and have never had any troubles with them! That, and TomatoUSB/DD-WRT support is fantastic for most Cisco/Linksys routers!

Back