PC Peripherals Another UPS buying thread

Saiyan

The L33t Admeen
Skilled
My Mircrotek 800va ups died a week back thanks to the damn power fluctuation during the nights in my area (loads of new AC in my area thats why:(, about 40 newly installed during the month of may:S ).

Anyways, i need a decent ups which can take care of the power fluctuation and low voltage, back up of 10 mins is more than enough, i already have a APC 800va which is only used by my LCD and the router, can't use it with my M/C as i have Antec NEO HE 500w.

So any decent ups for 3k:ashamed: or is the smartups for 8k+ is my only choice :huh:

i would suggest a back Ups of urs Choice & a good Stabiliser... it might sound strange but it works ... Stabiliser takes up all the beating due to power fluctuation,saving the Ups.Eazy was the one who gave me this Idea,we have been Using this for Quite some time & is working so far... Eazy been has been doing this for years now

the stabilser+ups is what i've been doing as well.despite APC telling me to do otherwise.

I'm still at a loss to understand the incompatibility between back-UPS & that specific Antec SMPS model.

Does either vendor *specifically* advise against using the two in tandem ?

..or they refuse to accept what happens in practice.

thanks guyz, will get a stabiliser. Any suggestion for the same and also a decent ups, i need one anyways as my microtek died, something other than the APC Back-ups :p

5k outta my budget :(, if i spend that much i would as well as get the smart-UPS for 8k :p :D.

Any suggestion for Stabiliser:p

RiO said:
Powercom 1kva should be around ~5k.

NAH .. I paid a little over 4k for it last July - must be cheaper now. This unit has worked fine.

@Chief-Techie .. I dont use a Stabilizer along with the UPS all the time - only when the voltage goes over 250v which happens during winter nights. The voltage can touch 270v at times. What I do is use the Stabilzer like a step down transformer in Manual mode. I never have the Stabilizer doing Auto correction of the incoming voltage as I understand these stabilizers add a lot of electrical noise to the line - I dont know the exact terms to describe this but I was told Stabilizers on Auto add something like a flutter in the line which can create more harm then the high voltage.

My local dealer quoted 5.7K for 1KVA Powersafe. He also quoted 7.7K for the 1KVA Back-UPS :p All in all, he's made me loose all interest in UPS :bleh:

Eazy said:
NAH .. I paid a little over 4k for it last July - must be cheaper now. This unit has worked fine.

@Chief-Techie .. I dont use a Stabilizer along with the UPS all the time - only when the voltage goes over 250v which happens during winter nights. The voltage can touch 270v at times. What I do is use the Stabilzer like a step down transformer in Manual mode. I never have the Stabilizer doing Auto correction of the incoming voltage as I understand these stabilizers add a lot of electrical noise to the line - I dont know the exact terms to describe this but I was told Stabilizers on Auto add something like a flutter in the line which can create more harm then the high voltage.

so its not reccommended to use the stabilizer eh :(, thank god u replied here, would have gone and bought a stabilizer if u had replied here 10 mins late, phew!!!

Any suggestion for my problem yaar? See my PC works during the low voltage, but its during the power fluctuation it goes off :(

Saiyan said:
so its not reccommended to use the stabilizer eh :(, thank god u replied here, would have gone and bought a stabilizer if u had replied here 10 mins late, phew!!!

Any suggestion for my problem yaar? See my PC works during the low voltage, but its during the power fluctuation it goes off :(

The Stabilizer is only required for very high or low voltage situations as the UPS will not work in extreme voltages - the UPS just shuts down beyond certain voltages. I have a digital panel volt meter on in my room 24/7 so I can see when the voltages are extra high and I switch off the comp or I power it thru the stabilzer.... Rememeber a stabilizer will help in extreme voltage conditions where a UPS will fail. You need to monitor your line and then decide if you need a stabilizer.

APC have a stablizer which would probably be the best in the market.

APC's stabilizer.....

Line-R 1200VA Automatic Voltage Regulator

Saiyan said:
^^ any idea abt the price??

Just phoned APEX who is a APC reseller in Mumbai and he ... he ..... LAUGHED at me for asking about Stabilizers in Mumbai :eek:hyeah: He said that APC dont supply these stabilizers in Mumbai. You will have to check in Chennai.

Actually, even I am looking for a UPS, sick of the voltage fluctuations and powercuts, recently spent like 10k and got the entire wiring of my place redone only to find out that the problem is @ AP Electrical board's end..

right now on a shoe string budget, any idea as to howmuch the cheapest voltage regulation decent brand ups would cost?

Rave said:
any idea as to howmuch the cheapest voltage regulation decent brand ups would cost?

Dont take anything written on paper on face value about the regulating capabiliites of a UPS... even my APC is way off its regulating range. I fed it 270v in and it gave 270v out - then I fed it 175 in and it gave out 175v... I would not rely on a UPS to REGULATE the line voltage. I trust UPS's only to take care of the colourful voltages ....brown-outs and black-outs. :D

@Chaos ... where art thou .. need you to jump in and give us your expert opinions on this !!! :)

Eazy said:
Dont take anything written on paper on face value about the regulating capabiliites of a UPS... even my APC is way off its regulating range. I fed it 270v in and it gave 270v out - then I fed it 175 in and it gave out 175v... I would not rely on a UPS to REGULATE the line voltage. I trust UPS's only to take care of the colourful voltages ....brown-outs and black-outs.

lol, point taken. so howgood is the powercom 1kva then? would youo actually recommend paying 4k more and getting the APC just for the brand value? and howmuch backup does it provide you??

Ups: APC/ Powercom, Wat capacity u want
Stabiliser:Vguard... find them Reliable

i have a Vguard Vgs400 - Products

its a 1.5 Tonne Stabliser,i need 7.5 amps for my Ups,went for 12 amps Stabliser.

Tip: make sure the voltage range of ur stabilser is smaller compared to ur Ups,this would help things be just fine

With Apc u have Powerchute Software which moniters everything u want

Rave said:
howgood is the powercom 1kva then? would youo actually recommend paying 4k more and getting the APC just for the brand value? and howmuch backup does it provide you??

I have a APC BackUPS RS 800 and a Powercom 1kva and they both give me the same 27min back time on my setup. The APC will not cold start my system whilst the Powercom does. The APC monitoring software is classy and operates from a USB port whilst the Powercom is shi**y and works off a serial port. The Powercom has an external connector for extra batteries for long backups. If the external finish of the APC if rated as a 10 then the powercoms finish is about a 5. They both work flawlessly during power outages. APC is rated as the number one company in the world for UPS and Powercom the number two. An equalent APC must be costing about 40 - 50% more then a similar Powercom.

So which do you choose ? I bought one of each :)

EDIT: The most important differences between an APC and PCM UPS would be the transfer times and wave forms... these questions are beyond the scope of my limited knowledge....

Eazy said:
I have a APC BackUPS RS 800 and a Powercom 1kva and they both give me the same 27min back time on my setup. The APC will not cold start my system whilst the Powercom does. The APC monitoring software is classy and operates from a USB port whilst the Powercom is shi**y and works off a serial port. The Powercom has an external connector for extra batteries for long backups. If the external finish of the APC if rated as a 10 then the powercoms finish is about a 5. They both work flawlessly during power outages. APC is rated as the number one company in the world for UPS and Powercom the number two. An equalent APC must be costing about 40 - 50% more then a similar Powercom.

So which do you choose ? I bought one of each :)

service of APC is good too :hap2: this might be Due Bangalore Being there Base for India operation,cutomser care helps with wat ever u need

Back