CPU/Mobo Another Venice LBBLE 0517EPAW spotted.

Shripad

ex-Mod
Hi guys.
My friend was building up new SLI PC. He purchased different parts from different vendors in lamington and andheri.
He called me up just about and hour ago to come at his place and replace the stock AMD heatsink and install the CM Vortex HSF.
He purchased it through his cousine. I will get the exact place from where he purchased it.
The problem is this dude is too afraid to overclock. I will try my best to convince him and post the results with screenies.
Its A64 3000+ venice LBBLE 0517EPAW. Exact same stepping as mine :D

not likely. he is too afraid to even run it at 2.72.
So i kept it at 2.5 and came home.
He agreed to run it at 2.5 when i showed him how better GTA SA runs on faster cpu :p

I feel sad for these unenlightened souls.(No offence to your friend Funky :) ) They don't know how much they are missing out on......

But you already have the same damn processor!!! What difference does it make to you?? I only wish the same proccy was with Darky or maybe Quaddy

Quady is getting mine so he is secured :p
It dosent make any difference to me. But this on correct hands would have been great, specially one of the DFI users.

I have yet to see an overclock result in an improvement of over 20%.

The number looks big, but it's just +20 from 100fps, 10 from 50, 2 from 10.
A rat race in short. Noone notices the difference between 120 and 100fps or 12 and 10fps.
In cases where it does exceed that, the system is barely running stable and artifact free.

Over the years:
the best driver set +2fps
the best overclock +10fps

Just the thrill of getting something for nothing.

Funky Bro ur friend shud consider him the luckiest to get 17th week Venice now
as now 18th & 19th Week Venice have come in the market.

Tell hime to read the articles at TE esp the OC Section and he wud realize the true
power , even my cousin is nuts he feels OCing will harm my/his system to a large extent
i am trying to convince him that,he will regret what he said and will soon understand
the benefits of OCing and Tuning the system to extract if not to the max but atleast to the best level.

Darky shud look for 17th week Venice 3000+ they still might be available if we wants
to extract every last bit of juice from his DFI. but he wud have to sell his current
3200+ for that.

Also Funky 2.5 OC is gr8 for ur friend if hes afraid of 2.72-2.8.
Tell him he was one of the luckiest in India to get hold of 0517 EPAW

saumilsingh said:
I have yet to see an overclock result in an improvement of over 20%.

The number looks big, but it's just +20 from 100fps, 10 from 50, 2 from 10.
A rat race in short. Noone notices the difference between 120 and 100fps or 12 and 10fps.
In cases where it does exceed that, the system is barely running stable and artifact free.

Over the years:
the best driver set +2fps
the best overclock +10fps

Just the thrill of getting something for nothing.
Not really. thats now old news.
See how demanding todays games are.
Try running BF2 on a deascent PC. IT will struggle. The difference is if FPS increase from 30s to 40s it makes a lot of difference in gameplay.
And also CPU overclocoking alone may not give ya best results. But in games like BF2, GTA SA the CPU power matters a lot. I mean a lot.
If you search online a whole bunch of people complaining about BF2 performance on their 6800NU/GTs. I am able to play this same game at the settings shown below.
Even guys with 6800GTs are having problems at these settings. The only difference between those guys and me is my overclocked CPU.
THis is running at 2.7Ghz vs most of them at stock or 2.2Ghz.
Its not only thrill. If it was only for thrill i would have ran this at 2.8Ghz where it is able to run. I am giving it a little headroom over its max capability. And overcloocking CPU gives the max benifits. Most of the time more than overclocoking your graphic card.

The difference is if FPS increase from 30s to 40s it makes a lot of difference in gameplay.

How are you even able to discern the difference. As far as the human vision goes 35 fps is as good as 45 fps, or am I missing something here, enlighten me if I am.

yes youa re missing something.
Dont mistaked our eye anaomy with the electronicc. Our eyes dont work in synce with monitor ;)
There is considerable difference in gameplay say at 35FPS and 60FPS.
When you are in low 30s and you somehow manage it to over 40 it makes whole lot of difference.
Ya you may not be able to tell difference between 100 and 160FPS but you can tell difference between 30 and 45 or 30 and 60.
play some games like BF1942 and set max fps to 35. Try playing it.
Then set max fps to 60 and play it again and tell me the difference.
Try this in any game that supports setting max FPS setting.

Scientifically, the human eye can't percept more than 18fps.
A cinema reel runs at just just 23fps, yet the motion blur added due to the shutter speed prevents us from knowing any better.

A pc monitor and more specifically games depend on hand-eye coordination, and your hand will definitely notice a huge difference between 30 and 45fps or 60fps.
Same reason why watching someone else play over the shoulder doen't seem as choppy even with a low framerate.

So This was my lesson for the day.

but still if its the hand eye coordination thing than the bio-mechanics would adjust automatically after some time. Muscle memory and all.
My insinuation is, would it look choppy at 35 fps as opposed to 40 fps and why so.
Has the issue got any thing to do with monitor refresh rate or vsync.

Damn I sound like techboy(insert obligatory winky smiley).

lol.
Nah, it also depends on what game you are playing. IF you are playing racing games like NFSU the FPS of 30-40 is just fine.
Try playing heavy multiplayer shooters and you will notice the difference. The 18FPS of eyes is in real world scenario. Whatever we see is continuous motion. On screen thats not a case. a screen is displayed progressively and also refreshed.
And your eyes too can feel the difference.
Try recording the demo of the game and just watch the demo while different max fps is set. You can feel the difference even with your eyes.
Yes our body will try to adjust to the situation but there is a limit for that. It simply becomes unplayable at some stage and then you have no option but to reduce some eye candy or resolution.
And as said TV and cinema uses motion blurr.So we get a smooth feeling. Haven you wondered what we see on DVD looks so chrisp but try to take screenshot and it looks blurry. this is why.

For racing a constant 30fps feels much better than a fluctuating 40-60fps.
gp4 allows you to lock the framerate.

For games like f1c, gtr that don't have a framerate limiter, I just enable v-sync and the lack of tripple buffering in most d3d titles takes care of the rest.
This causes my framerate to automatically lock down to 30fps at the resolution and aa I use, since the system isn't fast enough to consistently put out framerates equal to the refresh rate.

PS - funkey, any development on those flexi dvi connectors? Stuck on onboard gf4mx crap since 2 weeks :(

Back