Another washing machine thread

hatter

Skilled
I need a fully automatic washing machine. Budget is 20K. Have no clue about brands, service and specification etc... so any help is greatly appreciated. Also tell why front loading is preferred over top loading?

Front loads are typically costlier than top loads, but have the following advantages.

1) Much better cleaning.
2) Doesnt tangle and damage clothes.
3) Saves water and detergent. Consequently less irritation on your skin from residual detergent.
4) Most come with hot water wash - very useful for hard stains and to disinfect clothes (good thing if you have kids in the house). Top loads with hot water wash are not popular and cost as much as front loads anyway.

Simply said, front loads are the better and smarter way to wash your clothes. It does require some forethought and precautions to use it.

1) Installation on a level surface is essential. Get a stand with height adjustment if your floor is not level.
2) Piped water supply is necessary. Cant fill water in the tub from a bucket, like in the case of top loaders.
3) Cant add clothes mid-cycle.
4) Difficult to drain manually to wash the clothes by hand, in case of power cuts.

IFB, LG, Whirlpool and Samsung models are good and popular in your budget. The new direct drive model from LG is very nice and should fit within your budget. The capacity you want is dependent on your usage. Calculate the weight of dirty clothes your home generates in a day from this chart.

Croma | The Electronics Megastore | Help me buy | Washing Machine

hatter said:
^^ thanks Nin! I think I will go for a front-loading machine. Any one here can suggest some models under Rs 20K
I recently bought a front loader, and was under the same confusion. The sales Reps out there have been brain washed to sell brands/products which give them more commission so they are of no use.

I ended up buying the IFB ELENA DX : At a cost of sub 17k ( Incl. of everything )

Product: ELENA DX

After 10 odd washes, I'd say I am pretty much satisfied.

Even I had kept my budget as near 20k, but there are not a lot of option under that value.

Why I chose IFB :

1. Previous experience with the brand ( Have another HIGH end model back home in Delhi)

2. General Brand reputation.

3. They are giving 4 years warranty as opposed to 2 years with most brands ( with even high end models ).

Other options in that Range :

1. Haier : They have come out very aggressive recently , might be worth checking but I am vary of the quality of there engineering.

2. Samsung/Lg : They fall in the same league IMHO . Both very decent but a bit costly.

3. Videocon : Another economical option but still a bit dicy.

FINAL VERDICT : It is obviously upto you which 1 you go for. Just a friendly advice ::

Do not get blinded by the amount of features you have on the Machine. You will barely end up using any of those.

Just be comfortable with the following things that matter in real life :

1. Heater or not

2. How does it handle Power cuts/Water Cuts

3. What is the capacity and whether that suffices for you.

4. What is the least amount of time it will take to complete minimum amount of clothes.

Happy washing :)

Back