Budget 0-20k Ant Esports VSL PSU's any good?

stefanm

Disciple
Are they a) Any good?
b) Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole?
c) Caps randomly explode?
d) kill your mobo?
e) Change before the warranty expires?
f) Fire hazzard?
g) Rebranded poor quality e-waste?
I can't think of any more, let me know for the price and two years warranty seems ok to me, but I maybe wrong.

Any experience with these, as I couldn't find any mid-long term use reviews or comments.

Ps, I don't know if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

This is somewhere between Tier E (Avoid) and Tier F (Replace ASAP) in the PSU Tier list. So I'm gonna go with option b.

Good PSUs provide cleaner power and also come with better failsafes. You might be fine and it'll work for years but unclean power can slowly damage your other components even if they seem to be working okay. For example, HDDs can die faster than expected or run slowly, CPUs might run a tad warmer or not boost as well etc.

Get a CM MWE V2 Bronze series PSU. It's quite good for the price and comes under Tier B.

This is somewhere between Tier E (Avoid) and Tier F (Replace ASAP) in the PSU Tier list. So I'm gonna go with option b.

Good PSUs provide cleaner power and also come with better failsafes. You might be fine and it'll work for years but unclean power can slowly damage your other components even if they seem to be working okay. For example, HDDs can die faster than expected or run slowly, CPUs might run a tad warmer or not boost as well etc.

Get a CM MWE V2 Bronze series PSU. It's quite good for the price and comes under Tier B.
I guess I was expecting this kind of response, especially given that many of us live in areas with really 'king dirty power in.

However, I would like to see others' opinions as it could serve as a warning, I had a meanwell smps which blew up under warranty, took out an arduino and a whole bunch of meanwell LDD drivers. Warranty was rejected as according to them "It was used brutally!" so warranties aren't even necessarily worth the paper they are written on. Add to that I had to pay to courier it to them and they're a well respected company as far as SMPS's go.

There's really no good reason to go with something like a VS500L which goes for 2k on Amazon if you're looking for a serious PC build that has an R5/i5 and a discrete GPU. Decent units that atleast have specifications you can look up on psucultists spreadsheet are available at only 500 more, and are a whole lot more reliable because you know a lot more about what's inside. An EVGA 450BR goes for anywhere between 2.5-3 grand and that's a whole lot better unit, even if the capacities are the same. A Silverstone Strider 500W unit costs 2.5k on Amazon and a CM MWE v2 (best bronze unit available, LLC and DC-DC) costs under 3k on other retailer websites.

I have a VS500L and the only times I've used it are to check an open test bench, and (currently) running a low power i3 system that serves as a printer head only. It's a low risk scenario where I'm not drawing a lot of power on the 12V rail, and the costs of the components I'd lose can be absorbed.

Forget about any warranty from Ant Esports, they'd just as easily be called Ant Eshite instead.

Edit:
The MWE v2 Bronze 230V which is the one sold in India is a Tier C (low priority) unit, and the full-range unit (not sold in India) is the Tier B unit. Regardless, it's still a good 450W unit that has the most efficient PSU topologies in the same price range.

There's really no good reason to go with something like a VS500L which goes for 2k on Amazon if you're looking for a serious PC build that has an R5/i5 and a discrete GPU. Decent units that atleast have specifications you can look up on psucultists spreadsheet are available at only 500 more, and are a whole lot more reliable because you know a lot more about what's inside. An EVGA 450BR goes for anywhere between 2.5-3 grand and that's a whole lot better unit, even if the capacities are the same. A Silverstone Strider 500W unit costs 2.5k on Amazon and a CM MWE v2 (best bronze unit available, LLC and DC-DC) costs under 3k on other retailer websites.

I have a VS500L and the only times I've used it are to check an open test bench, and (currently) running a low power i3 system that serves as a printer head only. It's a low risk scenario where I'm not drawing a lot of power on the 12V rail, and the costs of the components I'd lose can be absorbed.

Forget about any warranty from Ant Esports, they'd just as easily be called Ant Eshite instead.
I thought it was anti sports....Would you mind popping off the cover, I would like to see the PCB, curious to what caps and fets etc are being used.

They are not good PSUs by any means, companies like Ant and Zebronics are notorious for just re-packaging and rebranding cheap off-brands electronics, which they then sell at a markup, they are widely used by pre-built companies which give Ant PSU as a stock option for people who don't know any better. The only scenario that I can them being used is when you are trying to revive a very old office pc as they have a very low power draw and you don't want to spend much on it.

The MWE v2 Bronze 230V which is the one sold in India is a Tier C (low priority) unit, and the full-range unit (not sold in India) is the Tier B unit. Regardless, it's still a good 450W unit that has the most efficient PSU topologies in the same price range.
Oh missed that bit. I remembered seeing it under Tier C in the LTT list a while back but after seeing this list I assumed it moved up. My bad. Still, DC-DC & LLC at this price is quite good.

ANT and similar brands are a stict no no esp. in the psu category which powers your entire setup.
Always go for antec, corsair, seasonic, cm etc. the leaders or experts in the product.

One bad decision to save on few bucks can cost you your entire rig!

I thought it was anti sports....Would you mind popping off the cover, I would like to see the PCB, curious to what caps and fets etc are being used.
Gonna have to decline on the grounds that I don't want to kill myself. Very risky to open up one of these for a non-serious pro, these caps carry a lot of charge, can cause serious harm.

Gonna have to decline on the grounds that I don't want to kill myself. Very risky to open up one of these for a non-serious pro, these caps carry a lot of charge, can cause serious harm.
Just power down and attempt to switch the powered item on, discharged!

Decade ago had a great exp. with CM. Their psu comes with 110v and 230v switch and by default for selling in India the switch is set to 230v but in my case I didnt noticed and powered-on, the psu made a sound and it was dead.
Next day it was replaced for free by them stating their mistake.

Any one company produce all kind of PSUs. They produce cheap PSU with cheaper components and they also make good GPUs. And warranty means nothing if a bad PSU damaged your GPU or CPU or motherboard. They will only replace your PSU.

This particular GIGABYTE model comes under Tier D.
Silverstone Strider Essential series fall under Tier E... Absolutely avoid it.

If I were you, I would absolutely not go any lower than tier C but it's your choice.

The bronze one right?
Yes, technically its CM MWE V2 230V 80 Plus Bronze...its a mouthful but make sure all the words are in the product name. There are 80+ white and V1 versions available out there so make sure you get the right one

Any one company produce all kind of PSUs. They produce cheap PSU with cheaper components and they also make good GPUs. And warranty means nothing if a bad PSU damaged your GPU or CPU or motherboard. They will only replace your PSU.

This particular GIGABYTE model comes under Tier D.
Silverstone Strider Essential series fall under Tier E... Absolutely avoid it.

If I were you, I would absolutely not go any lower than tier C but it's your choice.
Done, I'll go with the cooler master bronze Tier C.

Back