Monitors Any 16:10 Aspect Ratio monitors around ?

Bennie

Disciple
Hi

I am in the market for a new monitor ..LED/LCD which one tell me ..

But I would prefer one with AR of 16:10. So I guess thats 20-21"

Monitors are getting too narrow and long. Dont prefer the shape too much. Also some bezels can make it look worse.

LG/Samsung/Dell. Is Benq any good, other than its VFM quality.

Mostly home computing. Nothing too special.

Budget around 7000, with HDMI/DVI

bumping this as even I have the same requirement now.

I already have a 20 inch p-mva panel. ordinary tn panel looks colourless in front of this. their reds are horrible, plus screen darkens if you sit off center a bit.

I need a 23/24 inch, 16:10 new monitor with hdmi, dvi ports plus it should not be TN panel. (even mva/pva panel will do. ips mostly wont be possible in this budget)

I love the black bars in the 16:10 ratio. Plus, it feels like sitting in a movie theater with large 20inch+ screens. Don't like 16:9 ratio which seems to be standard now.

Budget within 15k.

Searched on viewsonic site but almost all of them are TN panels and in 16:9 ratio. One was a IPS screen, but was out of reach at 19.5k (or 26k) for 27inches i think.

6pack said:
bumping this as even I have the same requirement now.

I already have a 20 inch p-mva panel. ordinary tn panel looks colourless in front of this. their reds are horrible, plus screen darkens if you sit off center a bit.

I need a 23/24 inch, 16:10 new monitor with hdmi, dvi ports plus it should not be TN panel. (even mva/pva panel will do. ips mostly wont be possible in this budget)

I love the black bars in the 16:10 ratio. Plus, it feels like sitting in a movie theater with large 20inch+ screens. Don't like 16:9 ratio which seems to be standard now.

Budget within 15k.

Searched on viewsonic site but almost all of them are TN panels and in 16:9 ratio. One was a IPS screen, but was out of reach at 19.5k (or 26k) for 27inches i think.

Asus PA238Q fits the bill. And i guess you'll need the HDMI for your TS HD STB;).

Anyways, pricing and availability seem to be a concern. Head over to TE's FB page where Sudhir Mani (aka Phoenix IINW) seems to have found this unit for 16.2K in Mumbai. You can contact him for more details. A member psyph3r was about to get it too. Head over to this thread for more.

Viewsonic vm2235....Its 16:10. Thats for sure, but not FullHD.

I have used one for a few years before the plasma....just dont know if it is still available...

I bought it was not for more than 15K when I had bought it back in the day...like some 4 years ago...

16:10 monitor are always better,..but a rarity even on bigger 24" screen sizes!
i also faced the same problem when i upgraded to my 24" 16:10 Asus 24Mk241H FHD+(1920X1200)Lcd in 2009...& very proud & happy owner of it!
Sadly,i think it's No longer being made...but anyway a 16:10 monitor still rules!

^Sorry for bumping this thread but could you please tell me why 16:10 monitors are always better? I'm on the lookout for a new screen and I'm coming from 19" 4:3 so I don't have much experience with widescreens at all.

What are the advantages of 16:10 over 16:9?

bigbyte said:
You get more scree real estate. Plus except in watching movies, this aspect ratio is much soothing to eyes.

I seriously doubt that.... only reason u need 16:10 is ofcourse if you are fussy abt that small increment in vertical pixels....

1920x1080 vs 1920x1200.... extra 120 pixels ... .big deal

Also, all the movies are shot in 16:9...so ur monitor or VLC will most likely stretch the film to fit. So, you are not getting any benefit there. I am not saying, its a con to stretch. stretching over 120 pixels is hardly negligible. But its not a benefit. Even in games, you will not see much difference. Console games are generally 16:9 and they also stretch.

Only PC games can do 16:10 (and not all I think). So, if you are fussy abt those extra 120 pixels for games, then yes go for it. Otherwise, its not a big deal. Personally, i prefer colour quality and fidelity over a few extra pixels. Even on desktop, what will you do with extra 120 pixels?

"aspect ratio is much soothing to eyes." --- this looks like a urban myth to me :)

Commdr Shepard said:
1920x1080 vs 1920x1200.... extra 120 pixels ... .big deal
230400 pixels actually, not 120 :)

Commdr Shepard said:
Also, all the movies are shot in 16:9...so ur monitor or VLC will most likely stretch the film to fit.
...or, you will see black bars on top and bottom.

Commdr Shepard said:
Even on desktop, what will you do with extra 120 pixels?
Yeah, maybe not 120 but what about 230400 pixels ?

16:9 looks like a tunnel to me ... #PersonalPreference

16:10 is the best aspect for working. 16:9 monitors came to existence because of the HD craze and it was used for marketing mostly.

I have a Dell G2210 which is 1680x1050 and is awesome. I bought it 2 years back for Rs.13,000 approx. But that model is not in market now.

Instead they have this - Theitdepot - Dell Professional 22inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor (P2210)

Costs around the same.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Select the resolution here and you can see the monitors they sell in that spec: Theitdepot - Monitor

Commdr Shepard said:
Also, all the movies are shot in 16:9...so ur monitor or VLC will most likely stretch the film to fit. So, you are not getting any benefit there.

"aspect ratio is much soothing to eyes." --- this looks like a urban myth to me :)

Actually most movies are shot in various formats like 1.85:1, 1.66:1, 2.35:1.

WideScreen TV Information

What are those black bars on top & bottom?

Those "black bars" are really not bars but are actually unused space which is left as a result of putting the wide screen movie in the middle of the TV screen. Movies which are filmed in Super 35, however, do have the top and bottom of the screen blacked out to show you how the movie looked in the theatres.

How will new digital TVs affect wide screen?

Digital TVs are going to be wider than existing TVs; therefore they will be more capable of displaying wide screen movies. (Lois and Clark and Babylon 5 are actually filmed in wide screen) Although HDTV's will be wider than existing TVs, they will not be in a full aspect ratio of 2.35:1; therefore, there will still be a need for letterboxing on movies which are wider than 1.85:1, but the "black bar" effect will be reduced.

http://events.hometheaterforum.com/home/wsfaq.html

Aspect ratio (image) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back