Any advantages of a wireless modem+router over a wireless router and separate modem?

vebk

Adept
Currently I have the a D-link modem and a Buffalo wireless router. I have been thinking about getting another router to extend the WiFi coverage in my house using WDS. Looking around I found a decent Buffalo modem+router at a decent price. But the drawback is that it doesn't have DD-WRT (as it has a modem built in and DD-WRT is only for routers), while my current Buffalo wireless router has DD-WRT. Now the thing is that I really like DD-WRT so I would only get this modem+router (and forego DD-WRT on my primary device if there is a particular advantage to this new arrangement.

I know it saves space, but is there any advantage as far as pings / latency go? I do a lot of online gaming (ps3) and if this helps latency / lag wise, I will definitely get it. So should I?

From what I've heard modem cum routers aren't compatible with FTTH (which basically is broadband of the future). Also Buffalo's stock firmware is pretty good enough so there's not really a need for DD-WRT.

^ @babhishek: Any reasons why?
@groove: Buffalo's stock firmware is good, but DD-WRT is much better e.g. it automatically logs the amount of data used every month etc. that can be handy. Plus it's a LOT more user friendly.

Any feedback as to whether it helps improve online gaming to have a combo modem-router as opposed to separate devices?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only advantage is that you save the space & power usage of two devices. Nothing else. In most cases, they lag behind in performance with comparable stand-alone routers. And most modem-router combos have zero support from the different third-party firmwares out there.

Back