Android any android ROM developer here.

Hi, i want to get into android rom development, i want to know from where one should start and do we really need to know programming and stuff and all.... spent few days on xda reading tutorials and guide. i felt completely lost there, anybody with some experiance plz point me to right direction.

Hi, i want to get into android rom development, i want to know from where one should start and do we really need to know programming and stuff and all.... spent few days on xda reading tutorials and guide. i felt completely lost there, anybody with some experiance plz point me to right direction.
You need to know Java, and you need to be on Linux for ROM Development.
See this books
Apress Beginning Android 4 (2012)
Learn Java for Android Development, 2nd Edition

You also need to know how to sync, fork the repo from github
Before beginning the Android ROM Development, I'd suggest you to practise decompiling, editing XML, smali files and re-encoding them for few days so that you get the idea

Last edited:
Not only Java, you'll also need to be comfortable in C/C++. Also basic Git commands & basic Linux commands are required.
You'll also need have knowledge about the Linux kernel in order to port newer versions of Android to any device.
You'll need a fairly powerful machine as it takes hours for the source to compile. The Android source code is about 8GB in size, so familiarity is required about which file is for what.

Back