Any BSNL users getting annoying nag screen?

tvarad

Disciple
Every 10 or 15 minutes or so, when I surf to a page, I get a BSNL nag screen instead asking me to download some kind of bloatware that's supposed to help them check up on my modem, upgrade firmware and some other stuff. I've been doing fine without all of this stuff ever since I got the connection, so I really don't want to install it. Has anyone else seen this and, if so, is there a way to turn it off. Not only is it annoying to see the page but it slows down the system considerably.

Party Monger said:
Malware alert..!!!!

S**t! I didn't look at it from that angle. Tell me it ain't so. Avast hasn't caught it but I certainly will do a little more research on it next time it pops up.

tvarad said:
S**t! I didn't look at it from that angle. Tell me it ain't so. Avast hasn't caught it but I certainly will do a little more research on it next time it pops up.
Is it a pop out or a pop in?
As in, new window opens or there's a small window sort in an existing window..?
Note the url and the site name..right click and view properties..

Party Monger said:
Is it a pop out or a pop in?
As in, new window opens or there's a small window sort in an existing window..?
Note the url and the site name..right click and view properties..

No. Let's say I click on the techenclave link on top of this page. Instead of getting to the TE homepage, I get the nag page I talked about instead. If I ignore it and surf to the TE homepage through the bookmark I have, I am able to do so and can continue regular surfing until it nags me again 15-20 minutes later. I'll wait for it to come up next time and let you guys know the full details. I was assuming someone else may have seen it.

Change your DNS to that of OpenDNS's servers

Also, you can add the following entry in your hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\)

127.0.0.1 motive.bsnl.co.in

rock_ya_baby said:
Change your DNS to that of OpenDNS's servers

Also, you can add the following entry in your hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\)

127.0.0.1 motive.bsnl.co.in

I was already using a non-BSNL dns server, so that part didn't solve the problem. Let me see if the setting it to the loopback addess works. Thanks for your help.

anfjavid said:
first get rid of that BSNL shit....

Strangely enough, I am having a good experience with BSNL. When I first got my connection, there were all sorts of problems, but the local exchange has a very competent engineer who actually came to my house a couple of times when I filed complaints to see if the problem was with the modem. Most of BSNL's problems are because of incompetent linesmen who take shortcuts when making wire connections resulting in unreliability. Even that problem was licked. My connection is now very stable (knock on wood).

Back