Any MCSE or CCNA certified guys ?

redcross

Disciple
hello guys,

one of my friend is interested taking up courses like MCSE and CCNA or
VM Ware..

is it worth taking up this certifications ?

what are the chances of getting a job in a decent company ?

any inputs will be appreciated

I've started working in the networking industry recently and if your friend is into networking of any sorts, i.e. CCNA, MS or VMWARE, then these certifications are totally worth it. But don't get too many of these certifications because without work-experience they not much use.

Working on live servers/routers is what really counts, though an employer is going to value the fact that you are aware of the basics.

I've got certain certifications in mind which I'm going to start giving this quarter. Has your friend zoned down on any specific area that he is interested in?

I am both a MCSE and CCNA though did them way back in 2001-2002 I guess. Though I got my job because of knowledge in Networking and not simply because I was a certificate holder......I dont think being a MCSE/CCNA is a prerequisite for the jobs, but ask your friend to properly study the concepts and he will automatically get the job.......

Certifications are just a means, not the end.

I had done Cisco Certs 4 years back. It was a factor while changing jobs, but not after.

Now I have some other certs like CISSP, CISA, ISO 27001 Lead Auditor etc but again, they just mean you have the minimum required knowledge in the specific fields.

Practical knowledge, smart handling of situations, and astuteness are paramount.

A ccna guy i know gave me the setup of VMWARE and asked me not to give it to anyone else. Once he found the shortcut on my desktop and freaked out.

Any noob can learn VMWARE or virtualbox or PC. I have very low opinions about ccna people.

thebanik said:
I am both a MCSE and CCNA though did them way back in 2001-2002 I guess. Though I got my job because of knowledge in Networking and not simply because I was a certificate holder......I dont think being a MCSE/CCNA is a prerequisite for the jobs, but ask your friend to properly study the concepts and he will automatically get the job.......

Did the certifications in 1999. At that time it was huge. Now i guess work experience counts a lot more. The get a job and then get these for a appraisal. This is from a person who is not doing anything remotely related to IT these days.

Back